Expectations for the season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wasn't sure where to put from Football365 regarding pre-season predictions...

4) Tottenham’s chance had gone
It’s not that everyone thought that Tottenham under Mauricio Pochettino would suddenly lose their ability to carry out his High-Intensity Press™, but that the investment by other clubs across the Premier League would make this season harder than last for Tottenham. That was demonstrated in our always shambolic season predictions, in which only one of the five idiots asked (Nick Miller, who is now not classed as an idiot) predicted Spurs to finish in the top four.

Clearly Tottenham have not yet achieved anything in 2016/17, and may well require added investment to do so in January, but nobody saw them being the only unbeaten team in the country as we enter late-October. The display against Manchester City was the best single team performance in the Premier League this season.

We kept our squad together, to think we could not be on par or improve was a bit silly, considering all around us were going through some massive changes. Looks like spending silly money is still no guarantee of success and stability is what is really needed.

It's the PL's closest top-5 ever (to this point in the season). I still think we can make the top 4 this year, but it's going to be a bloody slog, and our attacking midfield will need to more consistently pull their weight for us to do it.

It's the PL's closest top-5 ever (to this point in the season). I still think we can make the top 4 this year, but it's going to be a bloody slog, and our attacking midfield will need to more consistently pull their weight for us to do it.

2013/2014 was pretty close. Top 6 were separated by 4 points and that top 6 didn't include Man City or Man Utd. But I agree. I think we can make top 4.

and our attacking midfield will need to more consistently pull their weight for us to do it.
The three behind the striker is where we need to see improvements imo. The likes of Son, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen and Sissoko are all good players, who on their day can do amazing stuff, but none of them are absolutely top-class, not right now at least, of course in the future they could still improve a lot. At the moment though they lack consistency and dare I say it... just a bit of extra quality as well.

Where City have de Bruyne and Silva (although the latter has regressed a bit compared to how good he used to be...), Chelsea have Hazard, Woolwich have Ozil and Sanchez, Liverpool have Coutinho and United have Pogba (needs some time, but will get there imo), we just don't have players of that extra class playing in those positions. We used to have them in Bale and VDV, but haven't come close to that since.

Our team can match any other in pretty much every position, but in the three behind the striker we come up short imo, that is where we could do with at least one top-class addition. Even the likes of West Ham and Leicester arguably have a better player in that position than we have in Payet and Mahrez respectively.

Last edited:
The three behind the striker is where we need to see improvements imo. The likes of Son, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen and Sissoko are all good players, who on their day can do amazing stuff, but none of them are absolutely top-class, not right now at least, of course in the future they could still improve a lot. At the moment though they lack consistency and dare I say it... just a bit of extra quality as well.

Where City have de Bruyne and Silva (although the latter has regressed a bit compared to how good he used to be...), Chelsea have Hazard, Woolwich have Ozil and Sanchez, Liverpool have Coutinho and United have Pogba (needs some time, but will get there imo), we just don't have players of that extra class playing in those positions. We used to have them in Bale and VDV, but haven't come close to that since.

Our team can match any other in pretty much every position, but in the three behind the striker we come up short imo, that is where we could do with at least one top-class addition. Even the likes of West Ham and Leicester arguably have a better player in that position than we have in Payet and Mahrez respectively.
Payet, maybe, although he's also over-rated due to lack of competition. Mahrez 2016 is not Mahrez 2015, funnily enough, although I'm sure all those people who pointed out that Leicester last year amounted to a lot of dumb luck were just bitter haters.

Some sort of silverware please.

We lambasted the likes of Woolwich for going 9 years without a trophy. Well, we're going to be going 9 years without a trophy if we don't win one at the end of this season.

I still think we can win it. Early days but right now it seems like it could be any of 6 teams.
Agreed. If our attacking midfielders (especially Eriken and Lamela) start to deliver the passing we need (which hasn't happened lately) then we could really jump up. The next 6 games are the biggest test of this. Good results in those set us up very well for the rest of the season.

Go support Man City then you plastic, glory-hunting mug

Constantly slagging off players and mangers on here for not winning every single game

Joel+tho+the+gif+file+above+depicts+the+character+joel_83d65a_5034326.gif

Back
Top Bottom