Expectations..for the rest of the season!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2016/17: The Premier League's marathon sprint - Football365

Not sure why we are being included under the label of "financial elite" along with all the bankrolled clubs with much higher wage structures...
You really have to give Levy and Poch credit, they've managed to trick just about everyone into thinking that Spurs are some kind of financial giant that keeps underachieving when the club is really just a slightly wealthier Everton that somehow keeps finishing in the 3rd/4th/5th range.

The article does have a point about how incredibly consistent all the top teams are so far, though. If things keep going the way they are now, Man United will finish 6th with 72 points, which would have been enough for 2nd last season.

2016/17: The Premier League's marathon sprint - Football365

Not sure why we are being included under the label of "financial elite" along with all the bankrolled clubs with much higher wage structures...
Probably because we're bigger than all the other clubs. Very much in a class of one.

We're on pace for a record point total and possibly record everything for us in the Premier League era and could still finish 6th.

We could also still finish anywhere in the top 4.

This is the tightest, and best top 6 in the last 30 years at least, and no one knows anything other than that at least 5 teams will finish the season unhappy.

It's going to be really bloody close.

Probably because we're bigger than all the other clubs. Very much in a class of one.

We're on pace for a record point total and possibly record everything for us in the Premier League era and could still finish 6th.

This is the tightest, and best top 6 in the last 30 years at least, and no one knows anything other than that at least 5 teams will finish the season unhappy.

I think we have a great shot for the title if we beat Chavs on Wednesday, we have momentum and a rapidly building self-belief and those things are hard to stop when they get going!

I still think poch & levy would be more than happy with 4th. Especially when the top 6 are very strong this season.

I like to look at the table after 19 games and use that as a benchmark for how the rest of the season will pan out. Every team has played every other team once, so comparisons are a bit more fair.

After 19 games last season, this is how the table looked:

epzvYze.jpg

Aside from "holy crap remember when Palace were performing well?" there are a couple of points to make:

• We're actually a point better off against City than last season, and we managed to hold off the Manchester clubs last time.
  • The top 4 ended up being the same four teams at the end of the year (which is promising, but really 3rd-5th right now is too tight to call).
  • Soon after this, we played Leicester and lost that match to drop to 7 points behind them. Interestingly, a win against Chelsea would result in a 7 point gap.
  • This is a pretty good example of how Woolwich often have a good first half of the season then fuck it up after January.
So funnily enough, in terms of 'expectations for the rest of the season' - I actually think this might well be the year we do finally finish above Woolwich. Whether that also comes with getting top 4, I have no idea.

I agree with all that, but I just don't see us as part of the "financial elite" that makes up the other five teams in the six, there's such a difference between us until we have our new stadium when I think we will join that class properly. But you're probably right that we are a class of one, very different from the other 14 teams in the league now.

I agree with all that, but I just don't see us as part of the "financial elite" that makes up the other five teams in the six, there's such a difference between us until we have our new stadium when I think we will join that class properly. But you're probably right that we are a class of one, very different from the other 14 teams in the league now.
Yeah. We're not financially in that league, but we're still competing with them, so lazy journalism is going to get us grouped with them anyway.

Yeah. We're not financially in that league, but we're still competing with them, so lazy journalism is going to get us grouped with them anyway.

Size can also be measured by fan base. Those going to matches is constrained by ground size but what about TV audience. I know a lot of neutrals watch matches and as MU get the biggest viewing figures they are on TV most especially every Cup match regardless of opposition. I just wonder where we stand in any figures.

Reasons for hope:

We are legitimately a bloody excellent football team.

How does this prediction compare with the one done this time last year? I seem to remember something similar at the time but never went back at the end to see if it worked out as predicted or not?

Of course, say we win on Wednesday, added to Liverpool dropping points today, if this calculation was redone I wouldn't be surprised to see us much closer higher to Liverpool and Chelsea a little close down toward Liverpool too...which would be nice because it's very close between 3-5th. But it's a really interesting projection.

What has become steadily evident as the season has worn on is that the top six really are a class apart from the rest of the league this time around. Liverpool dropping points to Sunderland today is a huge shock, for instance. Who wins the title, who ends up in the CL and who is in the EL is going to ultimately be decided by the results between these top 6 sides playing each other. I'm not sure I like a small set of clubs becoming so much better than all the other teams as it could be a return to the bad old days of the exact same four teams qualifying for the Champions League every season, but I am very pleased that we're part of the club for once.

How does this prediction compare with the one done this time last year? I seem to remember something similar at the time but never went back at the end to see if it worked out as predicted or not?

Of course, say we win on Wednesday, added to Liverpool dropping points today, if this calculation was redone I wouldn't be surprised to see us much closer higher to Liverpool and Chelsea a little close down toward Liverpool too...which would be nice because it's very close between 3-5th. But it's a really interesting projection.
It depends on the projection. By some measures we're the same as last year, and even the last few years (basically, ~70pts with some variance).

By others, we, along with the rest of the top 6 have taken a serious leap forward (it looks like a record points finish for us (73pts) could mean 6th).

So, beyond Chelsea having an early lead, all we can say is that it's damn close at the top and the bottom.

With the unexpected results yesterday,top 4 would be a strong possibility at the very least! Say the season finished now, runners-up and an fa cup semi-final,that would be an excellent season...yes?.....no?
2nd would be great but losing in a FACup semi after only beating non premiership teams would not be something worth remembering any more than the previous semi final defeats to Chelsea and Portsmouth. We need to win that one.

sad as it sounds, the FA cup is a relic of the pre top 4 era and few care. not me; however, i still base success on silverware. 4th and the FA cup would be great, although i think 2nd is the minimum target based on the run in.

sad as it sounds, the FA cup is a relic of the pre top 4 era and few care. not me; however, i still base success on silverware. 4th and the FA cup would be great, although i think 2nd is the minimum target based on the run in.

While it's still possible that we can do the double I am going to believe..........
:levyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom