Evil Number Wizards Taking the Fun Out of the Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I find stuff like this pretty amazing. Even if it is just a fraction of a professional teams inner working stuff like this is what makes some people football staff and not overprices posh morons 'analazing' postmatch on skysports.
I do believe that stuff like this is what can prepare a team to shut down opposition players or control a game. I wouldent be surprised if Mourinho had an entire army doing this shit for him. After all that bus is always parked at the right angle :)

I find stuff like this pretty amazing. Even if it is just a fraction of a professional teams inner working stuff like this is what makes some people football staff and not overprices posh morons 'analazing' postmatch on skysports.
I do believe that stuff like this is what can prepare a team to shut down opposition players or control a game. I wouldent be surprised if Mourinho had an entire army doing this shit for him. After all that bus is always parked at the right angle :)
Bayern Munich do this, so others do for sure. The piece directly quotes their head of analytics saying Guardiola uses this stuff at half-times.

You either do it first and win, or do it last and lose.

No, it's as boring as fuck, but Juicy is a stat man so that's ok.
tumblr_lzh5z9G9AT1qcq283o4_500.gif

You're so sure - that's what I find annoying.
Sorry. It's just the pattern I've seen in every other team sport. The teams that have done this stuff first in baseball, basketball and ice hockey all recruited better, played smarter and won more than their competition that didn't.

The clubs who publically admit to doing this in football also have had an edge in the last few years as well. Bayern do this to keep their edge in Germany, Dortmund did it to help them sign better players when they had no money. Chelsea do this to find and sign all that young talent they're blocking access to. Soton climbed out of the Championship and straight up the Premier League table doing this. And stayed there even after losing their "best" players. Allardyce kept teams with no money out of relegation for years doing this (sadly playing terrible football at the same time).

This stuff is being used by some clubs, and those that have used it first have had noticable successes other teams didn't.

I realize not all fans like it. You don't have to. But some do. I share this stuff for them.

You're so sure - that's what I find annoying.
What is so unbelievable about using statistics in football. The German national team used stats for the world cup. They even built a million dollar training facility in Brazil and used stats provided by 3 German universities. They admitted it. Do people really think that decisions are made by just watching replays and then giving an opinion? This is a billion dollar industry. If a tool gives a 0.1% improvement that is still a shittonne of money. All they teams in the PL use statistical analysis. City has 11 of these guys. Liverpool has a position called director of research...

Stats play a part but what I can't stand is when its seen as the only method of viewing a player or when its rammed down your throat that 'player X' has assisted 15 goals in 20 games, therefore he must be brilliant, without even really watching games.

For example, the assist could be a 5 yard pass in his own half before a player takes the ball 60 yards and smashes it in the top corner.

Use stats by all means, but don't rely on them solely to judge a player.

Back
Top Bottom