Europa League 2015/2016

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing is, I believe that last year's draw was quite a toss-up. We largely owe our victory to Soldado. And to a major bit of luck during those first 20 minutes at WHL.
Now, Spurs have improved remarkably since last season: Alli, Son, Toby, a more balanced midfield with Dier.

On the other hand, Fiorentina's squad didn't really improve since last year.
It is true that we are currently second in Serie A but we have been definitely overperforming, mostly thanks to our new coach Paulo Sousa's intelligent additions to Montella's tactical framework and to a very good athletic condition. But all in all, we are not that better than last season.

For me it is a 60/40 tie, to the Spurs' favour, and I'm beng optimistic.

Hi Matias.. I remember your contributions on this forum before last years' exact fixture, and your posts were fair-minded, rational and well thought through. Welcome back, and looking forward to seeing what you have to say again regarding this fixture.
:dierpochhug:

I will be. Haven't done one of these since Benfica two seasons ago. Hopefully this time around the city council will realise that we're not cunts like Feyenoord and can be trusted to booze without ripping the place to shreds. If not, suppose there's always that Uncle Jimmy's place I heard loads of ours piled into.

And no Soldado, so it's already looking like a good trip.
Hopefully they'll learn their lesson and get some bar staff in this time. Had just two people behind the bar at one point on the Thursday - comical.

Relatively happy with the draw, off to America in February and only get back on the 16th so it would have been difficult financially and also getting another few days off work. I was hoping for a place I was going to have little interest in going. Florence is nice but don't feel the need to go again so soon.

Hopefully win this time. That Soldado cock up still haunts me and we chucked in some poor defending for good measure. Fancy our chances with the second leg at home.

Good luck to those going though. It was bloody freezing last year and there's no roof so hope it stays dry!

An update on our transfers:

OUT
Mario Suarez - sold to Watford (quasi-official)
a bunch of youngsters on loan

IN
Cristian Tello on loan from Barcelona (1991 - Winger - will contend for a starting spot)
Emanuel Mammana (quasi-official) bought from River Plate (1996 - CB - if he gets through the "leap" from Argentina at such a young age, he should be the starter)
Tino Costa on loan from Spartak Mosca (1985 - CM - backup for the two starting CMs, replaces Mario Suarez)

And to think Spurs were linked to Suarez in the summer, fast forward six months and we have a solid midfield and Suarez is being sold to Watford.

Spurs have in the last day or so been linked with Mammana too.

And to think Spurs were linked to Suarez in the summer, fast forward six months and we have a solid midfield and Suarez is being sold to Watford.

Spurs have in the last day or so been linked with Mammana too.

Now if that went through, it would be a huge blow at this point.

Yeah Suarez has been a major disappointment. Actually one of the biggest flops of the first half of the season in Serie A. He arrived from Atleti as a partial compensation in the Savic transfer, Sousa hadn't actually requested him. And apparently Mario never managed to gain his consideration.
Luckily, our other CMs have been unexpectedly solid until now.

Who the bloody hell is Mammana?!
1996, River Plate's CB, tall, smart, fast, good on the ball, can play RB
Debuted with Argentina's NT at 18.

WrDwg95.jpg

Seems like loads of tickets have come up for resale for the away leg. One of which i have bagged. Was it really that bad last year? Heard reports of an hour through customs / hour behind after the game / no booze.

Any tips on places to stay / get a drink?

Seems like loads of tickets have come up for resale for the away leg. One of which i have bagged. Was it really that bad last year? Heard reports of an hour through customs / hour behind after the game / no booze.

There was an alcohol ban in the city, but that was only in open places, i.e. to stop us drinking in places like Piazza Duomo. Pubs could still sell alcohol.

Uncle Jimmys is where everyone went last year, so assume it will be the same this year. As DD says above, hopefully they learn from last year and get more staff in though.

Security to get in the ground was extreme, but not in a threatening way. There were 2 separate searches within 10 yards of each other, about 1km (guess) away from the ground. Beyond here was closed off to everyone except Spurs fans with tickets. I don't think I saw a single home fan close up all evening. From the search stations it is then a 10 minute walk to the ground. So a bit over the top, but not forceful or intimidating at all.

We were kept back about 45 mins after the game, but then we did have buses laid on to get us back to the city centre, so it wasn't all bad.

Can't comment on customs, because I flew into Pisa (an hour bus ride away) and pretty much walked straight through.

Overall it was a great trip.

There was an alcohol ban in the city, but that was only in open places, i.e. to stop us drinking in places like Piazza Duomo. Pubs could still sell alcohol.

Uncle Jimmys is where everyone went last year, so assume it will be the same this year. As DD says above, hopefully they learn from last year and get more staff in though.

Security to get in the ground was extreme, but not in a threatening way. There were 2 separate searches within 10 yards of each other, about 1km (guess) away from the ground. Beyond here was closed off to everyone except Spurs fans with tickets. I don't think I saw a single home fan close up all evening. From the search stations it is then a 10 minute walk to the ground. So a bit over the top, but not forceful or intimidating at all.

We were kept back about 45 mins after the game, but then we did have buses laid on to get us back to the city centre, so it wasn't all bad.

Can't comment on customs, because I flew into Pisa (an hour bus ride away) and pretty much walked straight through.

Overall it was a great trip.

Cheers for the info. Good to know that places did still sell booze. Maybe they might even let us off the hook completely as I'm fairly sure the ban was a knee jerk response to the Feyenoord cunts jumping in the Trevi Fountain. Those fuckers have had a knack for spoiling our fun since the 70s.

20 days to go, can't wait.

Cheers for the info. Good to know that places did still sell booze. Maybe they might even let us off the hook completely as I'm fairly sure the ban was a knee jerk response to the Feyenoord cunts jumping in the Trevi Fountain. Those fuckers have had a knack for spoiling our fun since the 70s.

20 days to go, can't wait.
Yeah it was all pretty well behaved last year compared to what they were probably expecting, so they might treat us a bit more liberally this time. No guarantees though.

Regarding customs - depends where you're flying to. A lot flew to Pisa last year so will have had no problems whatsoever. I spoke to a couple of guys who'd flown in to Florence on the Thursday though and sounds like they had an awful time through customs.

As said above though I think a lot of it was backlash to the Feyenood trouble in Rome. Trouble with European fans in Rome is nothing new and Feyenood moreso.
Hopefully they'll actually be a bit more laidback this year.

Should be a good trip for those going. Hopefully we progress this time and I can enjoy an away trip in the next round!

Back
Top Bottom