Europa League 14/15 Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's true that I don't exactly rush home to watch a Europa league match and because I'm confident of the victory I won't kick up a stink if I happen to miss it. But I still love watching spurs whoever we play. Europa league will let us get a look at some of the young players coming though and that adds an extra layer of interest.

God some people here stayed up till 3am and took the morning off work just to watch a friendly against a terrible Chicago team. Yet a European fixture isn't good enough.

Announce on Omonia Nicosia's website that their tie against Dinamo Moscov has been reverse so they will play away first on 21st because Apollon Limasol will use the GSP stadium in Nicosia on that date. So looks like we will play in Larnaca

Translation from AEL website says it is in Larnaca...
Our team will face the British team for the play-offs of the Europa League, with the first game in Cyprus in "Antonis Papadopoulos" on August 21 and renewal in London on August 28.

It really surprises me how people are so blasé about Spurs' participation in the Europa League this season.

Unbelievably, it's been easily forgotten that CL qualification is at stake this year. Later on this season the Europa League could well become more important than our league position, and I expect Levy has made it very clear to Pochettino that he will have to re-assess his priorities should we progress to the latter stages.

Although Spurs should be playing in Europe every season this competition is by no means 'beneath' us. It's a great opportunity for some of our squad and for the fans themselves. It's allowed the club to experiment with fan led initiatives, serving as a great platform for 1882 and the re-introduction of the drum this season, not to mention cheaper tickets that make it easier for families and younger fans to attend games.

Not forgetting the EL has produced some quality matches in the past few years! Remember Dembele's last minute equaliser v Lyon or when the comeback was on (and then off again) in the second half away at Benfica. It's a big part of our history too.

These early stages, although played against significantly weaker opposition, allow for the rotation of our huge playing squad, and give the younger players the opportunity to play against teams and styles of football they wouldn't otherwise get the chance to experience, which is by no means a bad thing. I would imagine the vast majority of the team that starts against west ham will not even travel to Cyprus, and although the number of games we will have to play is large in number, we shouldn't be worrying about fatigue this early on in the season.

Tl:dr etc but I'm hungover and grumpy

Poch mentioned something in his recent interview about the priorities changing now that the Europa League has automatic Champions League qualification for the winner. Maybe we will go for it this season? I hope so.

Europa League games don't get televised in the States until they're much further into the competition. Plus they're typically played around noon in California and I would have to get off work early.

I think this year I'll probably download them and watch them when I get home. Just means I'll have to turn my phone off beforehand.

Europa League games don't get televised in the States until they're much further into the competition. Plus they're typically played around noon in California and I would have to get off work early.

I think this year I'll probably download them and watch them when I get home. Just means I'll have to turn my phone off beforehand.

I watched all of our Europa games and I'm in the USA. DVR. And they are often repeated. How can you spend hours and hours on forums and not watch a Spurs game?

I always find a stream for the games. 2 pm games in the middle of the week aren't always the most convenient, but I try to catch them if I can. The early rounds are a bit of a bore, similar to early cup games. Pretty much used to keep guys fresh or free the bench. The knockouts usually provide for some unexpectedly good games though.

ESPN3 always had some good quality legal streams and replays for EL games.

Would be a cracking trip but coming out at £360 return flights from brum or manc. Need another £60 odd quid for digs and then god knows how much for beer tokens. Talking £600 ish

Is anyone on this? If so , and you're on 0700 from Luton to Larnaca Wednesday morning get in touch! Save money on Taxi to Napa from airport!

9 days to go.. European tour continues.. Yidddsss.

BushHillSpurs BushHillSpurs it ain't to late to book ;-)

Is anyone on this? If so , and you're on 0700 from Luton to Larnaca Wednesday morning get in touch! Save money on Taxi to Napa from airport!

9 days to go.. European tour continues.. Yidddsss.

I wish I was! But it's just too expensive. Will wait for the group stages and reckon I could do 2 for the price this one would be on it's own.

Can't get the time off work mate. All the parents have nicked the slots as it's six weeks holiday. I messaged you a photo of the dates all blacked out on my work system. I'm not that gutted as it's a bit early in the season and it'll be cheaper later on in the groups. Not only that but barely anyone is going!
Keep an eye out. Limassol youth are after you :adeohshit: I heard from their top boy poppodopoulous.

It's true that I don't exactly rush home to watch a Europa league match and because I'm confident of the victory I won't kick up a stink if I happen to miss it. But I still love watching spurs whoever we play. Europa league will let us get a look at some of the young players coming though and that adds an extra layer of interest.

God some people here stayed up till 3am and took the morning off work just to watch a friendly against a terrible Chicago team. Yet a European fixture isn't good enough.

Haha, I do :eek:
It's my only true passion, watching Tottenham and stalking these threads.:walkercry:

Can't get the time off work mate. All the parents have nicked the slots as it's six weeks holiday. I messaged you a photo of the dates all blacked out on my work system. I'm not that gutted as it's a bit early in the season and it'll be cheaper later on in the groups. Not only that but barely anyone is going!
Keep an eye out. Limassol youth are after you :adeohshit: I heard from their top boy poppodopoulous.

I missed you :adebaehug:

You joining the fantasy league this year or you gonna bore us about how awesome your team is throughout the season again without actually being up against any of us?

Really excited about the Europa League this year. Our massive squad will have enough game time to go around and our players will be motivated to play especially with automatic Champions League qualification awaiting the winners.

Much rather we get into the knockout stages of the EL and let our relatively young squad gain some European experience (and the pressure that comes with it) than get all the glory only to be knocked out from the Champions League in the group stages.

This will also be a good opportunity for our scouts to look at the smaller leagues and source for talent too.

I missed you :adebaehug:

You joining the fantasy league this year or you gonna bore us about how awesome your team is throughout the season again without actually being up against any of us?

:gio: Hi again.

I'm joining on Friday as still injuries to be had and other stuff that could affect my team. A real proper manager doesn't pick their team until right before kick off, eh? ;)

And I got kicked out because I had walnut for two games even though he was awful and got me a whole two points. A travesty. I still would of only came second.

Anyway, we'll take the discussion to that thread as don't want to derail.

Back
Top Bottom