Europa League 14/15 Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

B8rpqQ3CIAArs5R.png

Fiorentina weakened. Good news.

Doesn't really strengthen them if they sell Schurle. And I doubt he's good enough to be starting the Cup final.

Agree with this. Great news for us, as he's obviously more settled in Italy (Although I remember hearing he'd gone off the boil since the summer anyway). I doubt he'll impact the cup final much or be used in it really. A month to acclimatise isn't much, his 4th-5th game could literally be a final. Seems a bit of an ask and we don't know how fit he is.

Salah eligibility.

He definitely played for Chelsea in one of their group matches, but I think he will still be eligible against us. Here's why.

Latest Europa League competition rules: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles.../Regulations/02/09/88/37/2098837_DOWNLOAD.pdf
Rule 18.07 on page 33:
tigoo60.jpg

See the later bit about 'from the start of the round of 32', i.e. now. Rules 18.18 to 18.21 are:
aOxw6I7.jpg

Which implies that Fiorentina will be able to choose to register Salah, even though he has already played for Chelsea. They'll also be able to register Gilardino and Diamante, their other two January loan signings, neither of whom would be cup-tied anyway. And the deadline for them to do so is tonight at 11 pm, so presumably there will be a press release somewhere tomorrow stating their new Europa League squad.

(It's a quiet day at work)

Agree with this. Great news for us, as he's obviously more settled in Italy (Although I remember hearing he'd gone off the boil since the summer anyway). I doubt he'll impact the cup final much or be used in it really. A month to acclimatise isn't much, his 4th-5th game could literally be a final. Seems a bit of an ask and we don't know how fit he is.

Like Hutton & Woodgate you mean......... :lamelashock:

Was Salah in the Basle team that knocked us out? Whether he was - or wasn't - you'll know he'll notch a couple against us. Slag.

Good for us - more games, more chances of injuries. :adethumbup:
Was going to get tickets for the semi final expecting to get there. But you're right more games for Fiorentina. Doesn't mean much though as the semi final is after both legs.

Was going to get tickets for the semi final expecting to get there. But you're right more games for Fiorentina. Doesn't mean much though as the semi final is after both legs.

In that case it makes no difference what so ever. Talking shit again, me. :klinsmann:

While Cuadrado could be seen as Fiorentina's best player (Rossi being injured), I don't think that him leaving will have that much of an impact on the team. He was playing out of position and, generally, much worse than last season.
Salah's impact on the other hand is totally unknown. Could be a huge factor, could rot on the bench like Marin did in the first half of the season.

Salah eligibility.

He definitely played for Chelsea in one of their group matches, but I think he will still be eligible against us. Here's why.

Latest Europa League competition rules: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles.../Regulations/02/09/88/37/2098837_DOWNLOAD.pdf
Rule 18.07 on page 33:
tigoo60.jpg

See the later bit about 'from the start of the round of 32', i.e. now. Rules 18.18 to 18.21 are:
aOxw6I7.jpg

Which implies that Fiorentina will be able to choose to register Salah, even though he has already played for Chelsea. They'll also be able to register Gilardino and Diamante, their other two January loan signings, neither of whom would be cup-tied anyway. And the deadline for them to do so is tonight at 11 pm, so presumably there will be a press release somewhere tomorrow stating their new Europa League squad.

(It's a quiet day at work)

He's officially been registered in the list, but he'll probably be on the bench as we are currently playing with a 3-5-2 and the two wings are Joaquin and Pasqual\Vargas, with M Gomez and Babacar as strikers. Gilardino and Diamanti (he played for west ham a few years ago) weren't included in the list for some reasons.

Also, from what I have heard the away section of the WHL will be sold out - I didn't get a ticket so will sadly watch it in a pub...

Was Salah in the Basle team that knocked us out? Whether he was - or wasn't - you'll know he'll notch a couple against us. Slag.
Seriously? He tore us new ones all over the place. Find a soft, moist spot and he probably tore us something there. He should never have gone to the Chavs to be part of their "star farming" machine.

I actually think he'd do really well for us on the right.

Seriously? He tore us new ones all over the place. Find a soft, moist spot and he probably tore us something there. He should never have gone to the Chavs to be part of their "star farming" machine.

I actually think he'd do really well for us on the right.

Yes, seriously. I'm not one to care/follow other teams players. If players score loads against us, then obviously their name will stick.

Plus I was fair too pissed for both legs to even remember what was going on.

These are the projected formations of Fiorentina in the next EL matches, in the 3-5-2 scenario and in the 4-3-3 scenario:

3-5-2
Tatarusanu;
Savic, Gonzalo, Basanta;
Joaquin, M.Fernandez, Pizarro, B.Valero, Pasqual;
Gomez, Salah/Babacar.

4-3-3:
Tatarusanu;
Richards, Gonzalo, Savic, M.Alonso;
M.Fernandez, Pizarro, B.Valero;
Joaquin, Gomez, Salah/Vargas.​

Back
Top Bottom