Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tdlwf5R.png

Such traumas :walkercry:

Never wanted a player to succeed so much I years like I do for Lamela. Seems a real likeable kid who seems to really want to make it. I'm just not sure it's gonna happen for him. He seems to the engine for a Poch side, it's just getting him in to a position he can thrive at.

Watching Pastore playing so well last night reminded me of Lamela and his potential. Pastore struggled a lot at first and was a bit of a joke when he made his big money move to PSG, but look at him now. His physique and style are quite similar to Lamela's; he works hard, tracks backs and tackles but then he can also dribble and dance through defenders and be a goal threat. We need to double down on Lamela and give him every chance to develop and succeed. I don't like how Poch has sidelined him recently. Townsend might seem like a more consistent option at times, but he is very limited and I honestly think he will only ever be a squad player at best.
I haven't been shy to criticise Lamela and voice my disappointment of his lack of match winning quality considering the money we paid, but I still believe that he is our future alongside Kane, Eriksen and Bentaleb. We just need to keep pushing him and giving him the responsibility until he proves himself.

Watching Pastore playing so well last night reminded me of Lamela and his potential. Pastore struggled a lot at first and was a bit of a joke when he made his big money move to PSG, but look at him now. His physique and style are quite similar to Lamela's; he works hard, tracks backs and tackles but then he can also dribble and dance through defenders and be a goal threat. We need to double down on Lamela and give him every chance to develop and succeed. I don't like how Poch has sidelined him recently. Townsend might seem like a more consistent option at times, but he is very limited and I honestly think he will only ever be a squad player at best.
I haven't been shy to criticise Lamela and voice my disappointment of his lack of match winning quality considering the money we paid, but I still believe that he is our future alongside Kane, Eriksen and Bentaleb. We just need to keep pushing him and giving him the responsibility until he proves himself.
This is all well and good, but he can't just be gifted games. He needs to fight for his place same as anyone in the squad. If Townsend is in better form at the moment then he plays. Gifting games based on potential or price tag is the wrong way to go about things. I think Poch has got it right. Look at Kane. Couldn't get a run in the first team to start the season but his form forced his selection. It's just a shame we have no other comps for Lamella to play in.

This is all well and good, but he can't just be gifted games. He needs to fight for his place same as anyone in the squad. If Townsend is in better form at the moment then he plays. Gifting games based on potential or price tag is the wrong way to go about things. I think Poch has got it right. Look at Kane. Couldn't get a run in the first team to start the season but his form forced his selection. It's just a shame we have no other comps for Lamella to play in.

Kane's situation was not the same. Soldado was our no 1 striker by default not merit. It's not like he did anything to prove himself except maybe the Everton game, and running around a bit in general i guess. Kane took that position in spite of Soldado's being preferred not because of it. full credit to goldado though for being a fun character and running around a bit
:adethumbup:

Kane's situation was not the same. Soldado was our no 1 striker by default not merit. It's not like he did anything to prove himself except maybe the Everton game, and running around a bit in general i guess. Kane took that position in spite of Soldado's being preferred not because of it. full credit to goldado though for being a fun character and running around a bit
:adethumbup:
Look man dont go bringing immortal supergods into the discussion, it's just not fair.

That would be true if we had significantly and irrefutably better options, but we don't. And we are not exactly risking our league title run or something by taking a chance on a mercurial youngster. We are in the perfect position to be taking risks right now because the expectations and targets are set low after the debacle of last season. This is the same environment that saw us giving a chance to Kane, Bentaleb and Mason. It would be silly to give up on Lamela or even back down slightly, we need him to succeed and reach his potential.

Just a thought pop'd in my mind. Can we ask Hoddle to work with this kid? Maybe he can straighten his mind a little bit and sharpen the issues preventing him from utilizing his God-given talent.

:cool:

The issue with that would be the 'philosophy'. Could we press as hard and fast in that formation? Would Eriksen be useful that deep? And even then you're still effectively putting Lamela on the right, where he struggles.

I just don't think there's a way to fit them all in without compromising how compact and defensive the team is or compromising the philosophy.
I think a 4-3-3 is probably the best option right now against a good team. The problem is that it involves a sacrifice. Either we use Dembele as the 10, with Eriksen at LW, or we have Eriksen playing as a much deeper 10 than present, with the wings expected to provide goals and function as back-up strikers.

Either way, it's not perfect, as Eriksen at LW leaves gobs of space as he cuts inside, or we have a system without a ton of "muscle" in midfield.

Either way, it doesn't matter if it's Lamela or Townsend at RW. Neither have been perfect this year, and may never be.

I think Erik's regressed at bit since he was injured. He just isn't making decisions fast enough. If he could fix that, he'd thrive, but that is a very tricky thing for a player to adjust, I think. Andros makes choices fast enough, but he's just not quite as talented as Erik. If we could find a way to combine the two...

What has happened between Poch and Lamela? Thought Poch would come in and get him going. Starts Townsend and Chadli over him and then brings Paulinho on instead of him. I suspect they have fallen out

Maybe Pochettino saw that we were getting overrun in midfield and decided to bring on someone who would add numbers to the centre of the park and that Lamela doing infinite step overs and giving the ball away wasn't what we needed at the time.

Never have I wanted a player to do so well but it's not gonna happen for the wee man. Seems a lovely bloke but there's very little sparks to maybe say it's coming. I'd give home next season but I think even Poch has seen all he needs to know. Hope he goes back to Italy and ripes the fuck clean up out of what ever club he goes to. I truly feel he loves the club and will always respect us even when we meet him again in the final of the champions league;)

I don't see why we should get rid of lamela. i know Townsend has done well but he has not uprooted any trees. And We missed our chance to nick messi when he was sad a few months ago. So all things considered I stick with lamela

I can't see how anyone can watch Chadli and Townsend play and think that they are more effective players, offensively or defensively, than Erik. Don't know why he isn't starting, but can't believe it is down to a lack of quality

Back
Top Bottom