Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not as many criticising the manager for using him wrongly and stifling him though...

I think he has his hands tied behind his back, in some respects. I think Lamela would suit playing in Eriksens position. But then what do you do with Eriksen and Chadli? Sacrifice them for an experiment? Experimenting whilst you're still trying to teach players your philosophy in the first place?

I think he's trying to keep things simple for the moment, get players familiarized with what's expected of them and hopefully he'll add more formations next year. I agree that all he does is play 4-2-3-1 (Even when we have 2 forwards on!) and that this is hugely limiting, but you can understand why. He needs to have a Plan B, currently we lack one.

I think he has his hands tied behind his back, in some respects. I think Lamela would suit playing in Eriksens position. But then what do you do with Eriksen and Chadli? Sacrifice them for an experiment? Experimenting whilst you're still trying to teach players your philosophy in the first place?

I think he's trying to keep things simple for the moment, get players familiarized with what's expected of them and hopefully he'll add more formations next year. I agree that all he does is play 4-2-3-1 (Even when we have 2 forwards on!) and that this is hugely limiting, but you can understand why. He needs to have a Plan B, currently we lack one.
People have suggested Eriksen in a Modric role. Pair him with Bentaleb, then try Chadli-Lamela-Townsend/Onomah in front of them?

I don't know when we could try it, but I dunno, maybe?

People have suggested Eriksen in a Modric role. Pair him with Bentaleb, then try Chadli-Lamela-Townsend/Onomah in front of them?

I don't know when we could try it, but I dunno, maybe?

Is there any formation where you can play to all of their strengths, while having a compact team? I'm not so sure. From an individual perspective though, I don't think Lamela is suited to the right wing

I said a while back that we didn't buy players with the Bale money, we bought a puzzle which can't be solved. There was no formation in mind when we bought these guys, we threw shit at the fan and wanted to see where it would land.

(If anyone disagrees I can only assume they think Soldado is suited to the lone striker role, in which case your opinion is void).

Two years later, there still isn't a clear idea of where players flourish. Case in point, Chadli was played as a striker earlier on in the season.

Last edited:
Is there any formation where you can play to all of their strengths, while having a compact team? I'm not so sure. From an individual perspective though, I don't think Lamela is suited to the right wing

I said a while back that we didn't buy players with the Bale money, we bought a puzzle which can't be solved. There was no formation in mind when we bought these guys, we threw shit at the fan and wanted to see where it would land.

(If anyone disagrees I can only assume they think Soldado is suited to the lone striker role, in which case your opinion is void).

Two years later, there still isn't a clear idea of where players flourish. Case in point, Chadli was played as a striker earlier on in the same.
I've said my piece elsewhere on that summer, but I think the "magnificent 7" were actually two different teams (with Bale/without) that have been lumped together.

I think we have made the mistake of buying two guys with the same ideal position, and 2 into 1 doesn't really go.

Two years later, there still isn't a clear idea of where players flourish. Case in point, Chadli was played as a striker earlier on in the season.
I've not seen much of the Spurs obviously but how about a 433
Dembele - Bentaleb - Eriksen
Lamela - Kane - Townsend/Chadli

I think everyone would be in a better position, including Eriksen, except maybe Bentaleb who is very well suited to play CDM anyways.
Lamela in the position he thrived in at Roma. Dembele able to unleash his strength in both phases.

Yep, a 4-3-3 would be quite nice. But tbh I think we'd need a defensively stronger DM than Bentaleb for that as this player would have to cover the more advanced CMs in many more occasions than right now with two DMs. On the other hand, the CMs could both add more attacking options due to cover in the central areas.

this is primarily what makes him so fucking shit.
Oh wow I disagree with almost everything you post on here Sammy but this takes the cake. Just flat out branding one of our best young prospects as "so fucking shit". Completely ignoring the fact that Lamela has got our most assists this season and is one of the few players we have who actually creates scoring opportunities for others.

If you genuinely think he is that shit then you're just wrong. I don't know how else to put it.

Yep, a 4-3-3 would be quite nice. But tbh I think we'd need a defensively stronger DM than Bentaleb for that as this player would have to cover the more advanced CMs in many more occasions than right now with two DMs. On the other hand, the CMs could both add more attacking options due to cover in the central areas.
I think the issue would be more Mason, than Bentaleb, in that formation.

Oh wow I disagree with almost everything you post on here Sammy

:gio:

Just flat out branding one of our best young prospects as "so fucking shit".

I think Townsend is shit, and I think Lamela is only marginally better. His price tag, or his history at Roma doesnt make me delusional enough talk about his potential being any higher than Andros.

One of our best young prospects? For me, in terms of expectations and faith in becoming top players here (in no particular order):
Kane, Dier, Bentaleb, Mason, Eriksen, Rose, Davies, Walker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lamela, Townsend

Completely ignoring the fact that Lamela has got our most assists this season and is one of the few players we have who actually creates scoring opportunities for others.

Yes...that would be 5 assists in 30 appearances. Fair play to him for those 5, but the kid cost 30M. Should I be over the moon with that statistic?

If you genuinely think he is that shit then you're just wrong. I don't know how else to put it.

There is no other way to put it. You think he´s good, and I dont. You think I am wrong, then thats up to you.

I've not seen much of the Spurs obviously but how about a 433
Dembele - Bentaleb - Eriksen
Lamela - Kane - Townsend/Chadli

I think everyone would be in a better position, including Eriksen, except maybe Bentaleb who is very well suited to play CDM anyways.
Lamela in the position he thrived in at Roma. Dembele able to unleash his strength in both phases.

The issue with that would be the 'philosophy'. Could we press as hard and fast in that formation? Would Eriksen be useful that deep? And even then you're still effectively putting Lamela on the right, where he struggles.

I just don't think there's a way to fit them all in without compromising how compact and defensive the team is or compromising the philosophy.

iqty9.jpg

That is actually disturbing.....it's the bit he got on his tooth that does it...

Back
Top Bottom