Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im still not sure about him..every game i have seen him play he forces the issue way to much and he can look like bambi on ice. a Kane style transformation in the gym is what i think he needs. he needs to bulk up and learn basic football knowledge. the good thing about him is that he seems to be a grafter so he wont shy away from it all.
I agree but his decision making and time he spends on the ball has greatly improved, onwards and up wards

I'm delighted that Lamela is back, but ATM think Townsend Eriksen Chadli Kane are our best 'front four'.

I hope Erik plays today, and shows that he is good enough to become one of our very best players.

ATM though I wouldn't start him up at Sheffield, I still worry he's going to get sent off with the way he plays.

I'm delighted that Lamela is back, but ATM think Townsend Eriksen Chadli Kane are our best 'front four'.

I hope Erik plays today, and shows that he is good enough to become one of our very best players.

ATM though I wouldn't start him up at Sheffield, I still worry he's going to get sent off with the way he plays.
First post I think I've ever agreed with you Greavesy (not that you'll know as you have me on ignore you burk)

Townsend has been effective in his last few games, and for me needs to stay on the right until his form dictates Lamela should get a chance, or indeed given the number of games we have Lamela can play in those Poch deems 'less important'.

It would be fantastic if both Lamela and Townsend could improve and develop under Poch so we end up with two very threatening right sided forwards. I still think Lamela could play a striker role...

I rate Lamela higher but I definitely agree that Townsy is #1 until Lamela has proven otherwise. Townsy has been important for us lately even if I believe he can play better. Also, Lamela is coming off a month's injury so would be extremely harsh on Andros if Lamela gets both Leicester and Sheffield instantly.

Don't want to be overly negative after we get to Wembley but I thought Poch got it wrong starting Lamela over Townsend yesterday. Andros has been coming into some good form and he gives us much better balance than Lamela. (especially width) Again yesterday Lamela picks the wrong option way too often and he just seems to bog down our attack.
On the contrary Townsend has cut down on his pot shots and has provided good service and pace down the right. I am still hoping we have yet to see the best of Lamela but at the moment I think Andros deserves his place and obviously so does Chadli.

Not to mention Townsend has been great with pens which has Spurs fans we know this is nothing to take for granted!

Don't want to be overly negative after we get to Wembley but I thought Poch got it wrong starting Lamela over Townsend yesterday. Andros has been coming into some good form and he gives us much better balance than Lamela. (especially width) Again yesterday Lamela picks the wrong option way too often and he just seems to bog down our attack.
On the contrary Townsend has cut down on his pot shots and has provided good service and pace down the right. I am still hoping we have yet to see the best of Lamela but at the moment I think Andros deserves his place and obviously so does Chadli.

Not to mention Townsend has been great with pens which has Spurs fans we know this is nothing to take for granted!

Lamela needs playing time, offers more defensively and Townsend has been just as if not more guilty of picking the wrong option/bogging down our attack than him. I don't think it as an accident that the two goals came right on the heels of Townsend replacing Lamela. It left Davies who was already having a poor game even more exposed.

Last edited:
Lamela needs playing time, offers more defensively and Townsend has been just as if not more guilty of picking the wrong option/bogging down our attack than him. I don't think it as an accident that the two goals came right on the heels of Townsend replacing Lamela. It left Davies who was already having a poor game even more exposed.
Townsend admittedly was poor when he came on yesterday he was trying to do too much clearly that being said heard the argument of Lamela needs playing time for going on two seasons now but he has had many more chances than Andros has. We have had some of our best performances of the season with limited starts Townsend has had.

Lamela needs playing time, offers more defensively...

Really? This may be the first time I have ever seen someone think highly of his defensive game. I personally think his defense to be really very poor, especially in high-pressure situations where he has to come way back to defend.

Really? This may be the first time I have ever seen someone think highly of his defensive game. I personally think his defense to be really very poor, especially in high-pressure situations where he has to come way back to defend.
He's not the best defender but he works hard. Sometimes as a winger tracking back you just have I get in the way. I'd take Lamela tracking back over Townsend any day.

He also has made some very poor tackles which he was lucky not to get sent off. This goes back to Lennon and how everyone raves about how he defends bottom line is he is in the team to pose a threat going forward and imo he simply doesn't do enough most games

Townsend admittedly was poor when he came on yesterday he was trying to do too much clearly that being said heard the argument of Lamela needs playing time for going on two seasons now but he has had many more chances than Andros has. We have had some of our best performances of the season with limited starts Townsend has had.

Let's be honest. In those great performances, Townsend didn't really do much. Chadli, Erisken, and Kane took over the game and it was a thing of beauty.

We should have someone follow him around at training and every time he gets the ball, his follower twats him in the back with a shovel. He'd soon learn he doesn't have twenty minutes to decide what to do with the ball. If he can sort this out, he could be great.

Let's be honest. In those great performances, Townsend didn't really do much. Chadli, Erisken, and Kane took over the game and it was a thing of beauty.
Harsh to say he didn't play a part also think his width helps our shape. I want Lamela to come good just as much as every other Spurs fan I just find it odd that our supporters will make excuse after excuse for Lamela but Townsend being one of our own isn't afforded the same he is young and full of potential as well.

He also has made some very poor tackles which he was lucky not to get sent off. This goes back to Lennon and how everyone raves about how he defends bottom line is he is in the team to pose a threat going forward and imo he simply doesn't do enough most games
He does a fair bit more than Townsend, I feel. Last night he created two great chances Kane and Mason wasted, and then was into the middle of the 6 yard box, unmarked, twice with Kane and others choosing to shoot from bad angles instead of passing it to him.

For my money, he's the much more potent threat going forward, and it's a wash tracking back.

He does a fair bit more than Townsend, I feel. Last night he created two great chances Kane and Mason wasted, and then was into the middle of the 6 yard box, unmarked, twice with Kane and others choosing to shoot from bad angles instead of passing it to him.

For my money, he's the much more potent threat going forward, and it's a wash tracking back.

I think he had a good game as well. From what I heard/read about Leicester he was playing well in that game too. Lamela is the better player IMO but I think Townsend has shown positive signs lately (last night's appearance excused) and he should at least be given another start in the league. I think Lamela will make the spot his eventually but he shouldn't be given it by default.

I thought he had a great game. Picked up the ball first thought was to run at the defence, he would always draw 2 or 3 men towards him creating space for Dembele, Eriksen, Kane (whoever) to exploit. He played some lovely thru balls and split the defence (I don't think I have ever seen Townsend do that). He is also one of our hardest working players, he never gives up. Even if he is having a poor game (before his recent niggle) he never hides (like Paulinho) he still shows for the ball.

He can be dispossessed easily sometimes but Townsend is far worse. It sometimes feels like Townsend looses possession almost every time he is on the ball (bit harsh I know).

I would say those were half chances at best, Off top of my head Townsend did superbly for Sunderland winner and was excellent in the Burnley replay. Both of them need to work on their end product clearly and I would agree with what Bergmattson said above. I think Lamela probably could and will offer more eventually but at the moment I think Townsend has earned a starting spot.

I would say those were half chances at best, Off top of my head Townsend did superbly for Sunderland winner and was excellent in the Burnley replay. Both of them need to work on their end product clearly and I would agree with what Bergmattson said above. I think Lamela probably could and will offer more eventually but at the moment I think Townsend has earned a starting spot.
I don't think either has earned a starting spot, but I think we looked much worse when Lamela went off for Townsend, against League One opponents.

Harsh to say he didn't play a part also think his width helps our shape. I want Lamela to come good just as much as every other Spurs fan I just find it odd that our supporters will make excuse after excuse for Lamela but Townsend being one of our own isn't afforded the same he is young and full of potential as well.

I fancy Lamela's game more but i think i'm very objective when it comes to both players. I want them both to succeed, but I still feel we're a better team right now with Lamela.

Townsend still needs to fit into our offense. He's definitely making progress but he still leaves me wanting a lot more after his games. He has to start using his speed appropriately instead of just wanting to run by the LB and end up in the corner. The more he uses his teammates and the less he runs himself into trouble, the better he'll be.

Back
Top Bottom