Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing is, Ronaldo was a weed when he first came over. Valencia also got injured and while he was injured he got pretty big too.

I'm not saying it's crucial he does it, but it would certainly help, after all, it would make him harder to stop in full flow and would just turn him into an all round athlete/monster/beast. It would take a couple of seasons to see it, but it's development and I would say he would need some sort of added muscle to really excel in this league, it would probably give him an added extra in his play, be it, an extra yard in pace, shrugging off a defender easier. It all helps.

Basically I think it would benefit him a lot. But how long has he been out with this added injury? Something isn't right, or they aren't telling us something.

Also, I haven't read this threads last 10 pages or so, but has anyone seen any pictures of him in the last month or so?

Last edited:
What about when Malbranque joined, there was a rumour he was out for a bit at the start as he'd had his old fella extended....

Was there ever a break down of the £30m fee? If he is to go in the summer I can already see the journo wankfest over him going for around £15m and how much we've lost out but I can't see us having paid much over that up front.

----------------Ade--------------
--Eriksen--Dembo--Lamela--
----Capoue----The Beast-----
Sympathetic to the rest of your remarks, but it all fell apart for me because Dembele is simply not an Attacking Mid. Don't think we need to play both Sandro and Capoue at the same time, either.

Get Holtby back in and throw him in there somewhere. He never played regularly enough to really settle in our attacking play, but he nevertheless offered a great engine in midfield and an eye to move the ball forward in attack that we've not had from anyone else this season apart from Eriksen.

Was there ever a break down of the £30m fee? If he is to go in the summer I can already see the journo wankfest over him going for around £15m and how much we've lost out but I can't see us having paid much over that up front.

Roma openly declared their transfers and such not long ago. I think Lamela's fee was £24.5m straight up and £3.6m that are dependent on performance.

Last edited:
Why don't people blame management? They had him working on his strength. Now he's injured. This was my post from 8 or 9 weeks ago when it was reported he was fit, but they were working on his strength:

"I think working on his strength is nonsense. He's never going to be a beast. HIS ROLE should be different. They should be working on his speed and sharpness and give him zero water carrying duties.

That ginger charlatan had him doing a shift on the wing, there is no way a player like him can do that in the prem. It's way too involved/fast/constant/brutal. Building up his strength is a waste of time/effort and could compound injuries because resistance training can cause all sorts of tweaks and strains.

He should be an attacking right sided AM with no water carrying duties. With Eriksen on the left doing the same thing. We have so many real beasts at the club, we need guile and speed in the final third. Ade is strong, and another strong AM should also be in the final third to act as a base for Eriksen and Lamela to interact with.

Lamela, Soldado, Eriksen and Defoe had a problem under AVB of not being able to get past the parked bus.

----------------Ade--------------
--Eriksen--Dembo--Lamela--
----Capoue----The Beast-----

Capoue and Sandro should be doing the donkey work and wear down the opposition. Eriksen and Lamela should play to their strengths: Quick feet/minds and shooting accuracy. Dembo or Pauly should be thrown in there to add beef to challenge the parked bus in 50/50's that Defoe and Soldado constantly lost. Dembo should be beating players and laying off the ball in the area, not in our own half.

I despair for the coaching of the club...Lamela looks lightweight? "Duuuuuur make him strong." NO: Give him a role where strength is not needed FFS! You can beat a dour 7 man behemoth defence with sharpness, passing quick feet and an UNDERSTANDING with like minded intelligent players like Eriksen. Dembo can be the battering ram, Ade can draw defenders and Eriksen and Lamela should be flitting around the final third. AVB had Holtby in the boiler room ffs! He's game but he's not suited for it. Another player AVB's role for players ruined.

Lamela and Eriksen are heads up players. The IQ of this team needs to go up and he and Eriksen are the men to do it. Sorry but Rose, Walker, Lennon and Townsend make painful decisions in the final third. They should not be the source of our creativity. And we should not expect the impossible from Lamela and Eriksen when it comes to beasting people in the box. They should be striking up an understanding with each other and with Ade and co.

Rant over."

Some really good points in there around letting him play to his strengths. Spurs have tried a number of times to fit square pegs into round holes. There are however a fair few players in the past who have come from the continent and had to adjust their game to play in the PL. i.e. toughen up or adapt (Ronaldo and Modric are too good examples I can think of off the top of my head).

Not sure I'm entirely comfortable with that line-up but it's certainly something to think on.

Sympathetic to the rest of your remarks, but it all fell apart for me because Dembele is simply not an Attacking Mid. Don't think we need to play both Sandro and Capoue at the same time, either.

Get Holtby back in and throw him in there somewhere. He never played regularly enough to really settle in our attacking play, but he nevertheless offered a great engine in midfield and an eye to move the ball forward in attack that we've not had from anyone else this season apart from Eriksen.

If you put holtby there, he will be overwhelmed. Eriksen, Holtby and lamela is way too soft a spine. Dembele won't be there to rack up goals and assists (although he will get way more than he has been), we need a player who can hold up the ball in the final third. Paulinho, Dembele, Bentaleb can all play that central pillar role. We have to learn from mistakes made by Tim and Ramos where they played way too many smaller and skilful players in the starting 11.

And Dembele is an AM. He's been played as a DM for most of his Spurs career and out of necessity at his previous club because they were pretty shit so he had to muck in.

Quote regarding AVB:

"The coach has explained that he makes a tactical choice, he wants more defensive players in midfield,’ he said. ‘I can’t be satisfied with it, of course, I just want to play as many games.’

So he said he is playing a defensive role under AVB, and he's not satisfied with it but will do it to play. Also add to that he has had less than 15 shots at goal all season in the prem, and last year he averaged less than a shot a game.

Luckily for us, he has been a damn good DM. At least Sherwood stated he wants to use him as an AM in the future, but again injuries to DM's meant when he has played, he is back in the boiler room. Early in the season he was a large part of the team that did not concede. He kept us in games and we stole a lot of 1 nils etc.

Eriksen and Lamela need protection, and Dembele can be that rock in the final third. Holtby would be great with Lamela, or with Eriksen in the final third, but put all 3 in there and they just wont have enough of a well rounded game to retain the ball. They will be out headed, lose 50/50's, jump out of tackles, won't be able to roll players like Dembele etc. The game is not just skill, it has another team often spoiling, cheating, intimidating and playacting. Dembele is so smooth, wins things without being clumsy like Holtby where the defense can buy fouls etc. We need to be well rounded and Ade and Dembele will be a great foil for two smaller AM's with vision and accuracy. And more importantly the spine will be intact.

Last edited:
If you put holtby there, he will be overwhelmed. Eriksen, Holtby and lamela is way too soft a spine. Dembele won't be there to rack up goals and assists (although he will get way more than he has been), we need a player who can hold up the ball in the final third. Paulinho, Dembele, Bentaleb can all play that central pillar role. We have to learn from mistakes made by Tim and Ramos where they played way too many smaller and skilful players in the starting 11.

And Dembele is an AM. He's been played as a DM for most of his Spurs career and out of necessity at his previous club because they were pretty shit so he had to muck in.

Quote regarding AVB:

"The coach has explained that he makes a tactical choice, he wants more defensive players in midfield,’ he said. ‘I can’t be satisfied with it, of course, I just want to play as many games.’

So he said he is playing a defensive role under AVB, and he's not satisfied with it but will do it to play. Also add to that he has had less than 15 shots at goal all season in the prem, and last year he averaged less than a shot a game.

Luckily for us, he has been a damn good DM. At least Sherwood stated he wants to use him as an AM in the future, but again injuries to DM's meant when he has played, he is back in the boiler room. Early in the season he was a large part of the team that did not concede. He kept us in games and we stole a lot of 1 nils etc.

Eriksen and Lamela need protection, and Dembele can be that rock in the final third. Holtby would be great with Lamela, or with Eriksen in the final third, but put all 3 in there and they just wont have enough of a well rounded game to retain the ball. They will be out headed, lose 50/50's, jump out of tackles, won't be able to roll players like Dembele etc. The game is not just skill, it has another team often spoiling, cheating, intimidating and playacting. Dembele is so smooth, wins things without being clumsy like Holtby where the defense can buy fouls etc. We need to be well rounded and Ade and Dembele will be a great foil for two smaller AM's with vision and accuracy. And more importantly the spine will be intact.
Sorry, I disagree. Maybe I'll say more later, but Dembele has played deeper and deeper as his career has progressed not out of necessity because that's where the clubs needed him, but because that's where his strength lies. Stick him in at AM and he'll not be playing any different a role than he already does for us. 2-3 clutch goals aside, he is wasted being played higher up the pitch, as he has explained before that he favors possession and that attacking is against his instincts as a player.

I fully believe that the primary failure of AVB's system was exactly such a set-up, with all three of the midfielders playing through the middle being predominantly holding midfielders. Two dedicated defensive midfielders is plenty, we shouldn't compound that by playing Dembele in AM in a position where his unique strengths are wasted, because he's not a particularly creative player, nor is he a shooter. Holtby can perform in that role though, and while he's not cut from a slab of granite like Dembele, he is an engine in midfield that doesn't let up and won't get overrun in midfield like you've claimed.

Sorry, I disagree. Maybe I'll say more later, but Dembele has played deeper and deeper as his career has progressed not out of necessity because that's where the clubs needed him, but because that's where his strength lies. Stick him in at AM and he'll not be playing any different a role than he already does for us. 2-3 clutch goals aside, he is wasted being played higher up the pitch, as he has explained before that he favors possession and that attacking is against his instincts as a player.

I fully believe that the primary failure of AVB's system was exactly such a set-up, with all three of the midfielders playing through the middle being predominantly holding midfielders. Two dedicated defensive midfielders is plenty, we shouldn't compound that by playing Dembele in AM in a position where his unique strengths are wasted, because he's not a particularly creative player, nor is he a shooter. Holtby can perform in that role though, and while he's not cut from a slab of granite like Dembele, he is an engine in midfield that doesn't let up and won't get overrun in midfield like you've claimed.

I know city are not typical opponents, but Lamela got smashed when he was expected to play on the wing. He needs protection in attack that can hold his own. And Ade on his own can get crowded out. Holtby can hardly fight his own battles if you overloaded the team with smaller players like AVB did. He only scored 1 prem goal for us since signing last Jan because he was chasing the game. Holtby, Eriksen and Lamela would get bullied out of it IMO. They can;t grab the game by the scruff. We would compete better than LEnnon, Townsend and Defoe because they have better accuracy but we will still have cricket scores etc.

We need that well rounded body in the final third...It's only my opinion, but I have seen way too much soft Spurs and I think its our curse.

BlQveRwIUAAGwbh.jpg

You uhh, might want to go back a page.

Back
Top Bottom