England national / U21 side

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having a bit of a discussion with a mate about what squad England should take to the U21 championship. He thinks they should take the best available which includes Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Wilshere, Jones, Stones, Shaw, Chambers & Barkley. I think that would hold the national side back in the future even more.

The 3 in bold are guarantees in Hodgson's squads and maybe even starting XI and shouldn't be taken IMO. They've got experience at senior tournaments and in the Woolwich duo's case multiple Champions League campaigns. Taking those 3 along with Barkley who I think could benefit from going would leave max 1 spot in midfield for the likes of Tom Carrol, Ward-Prowse, Ince, Redmond & Will Hughes. All 4 defenders should go as they've all looked shaky at club & country shouldn't be starting for the senior national side.

"weaker" U21 starting XI
Butland
Chambers - Stones - Jones - Shaw
Carrol - Ward-Prowse - Hughes
Barkley
Berhaino - Kane

"stronger" U21 starting XI
Butland
Wilshere - Ward-Prowse
Sterling - Barkley - Oxlade-Chamberlain
Berhaino

I'd say the weaker side is strong enough to advance to the semi's. Get a lot more out of those 11 getting that experience

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a bit of a discussion with a mate about what squad England should take to the U21 championship. He thinks they should take the best available which includes Ox, Sterling, Wilshere, Jones, Stones, Shaw, Chambers & Barkley. I think that would hold the national side back in the future even more.

The 3 in bold are guarantees in Hodgson's squads and maybe even starting XI and shouldn't be taken IMO. They've got experience at senior tournaments and in the Woolwich duo's case multiple Champions League campaigns. Taking those 3 along with Barkley who I think could benefit from going would leave max 1 spot in midfield for the likes of Tom Carrol, Ward-Prowse, Ince, Redmond & Will Hughes. All 4 defenders should go as they've all looked shaky at club & country shouldn't be starting for the senior national side.

"weaker" U21 starting XI
Butland
Carrol - Ward-Prowse - Hughes
Barkley
Berhaino - Kane

"stronger" U21 starting XI
Butland
Wilshere - Ward-Prowse
Sterling - Barkley - Oxlade-Chamberlain
Berhaino

I'd say the weaker side is strong enough to advance to the semi's. Get a lot more out of those 11 getting that experience

Not really answering your question here but that Stronger side is really promising. Missing perhaps a midfield enforcer, but I cannot think of any of my head.

Not really answering your question here but that Stronger side is really promising. Missing perhaps a midfield enforcer, but I cannot think of any of my head.
Maybe Dier to come in and either him or Jones to play in the DM role. That being said U21 football should be about future development and if the FA and their clubs think they're CB's no point playing them out of position to win a tournament nobody remembers 5 months later

id take sterling, chamberlain & wilshere as well as the others mentioned. the more experience the yougnsters get playing together in tournaments the better prepared they'll be for the euros/WC for the first team.

p.s. we'll have won something by 2022

I completely agree. The players who are consistent at the senior level should not be playing at the U21 level. It only holds back the players trying to break through. I know hardly anything about English youth players and the system, but I'm sure there is someone who would benefit more than even Carroll going. Leave out, IMO, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Sterling, and Carroll. It pains me to say, but Carroll is already 22 and hasn't made all that much of an impact (that I know about) In the PL. Play players in the youth not to win games but to better the players. This is my belief and why I fully back Dier not wanting to play RB at youth level.

but I'm sure there is someone who would benefit more than even Carroll going. Leave out, IMO, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Sterling, and Carroll. It pains me to say, but Carroll is already 22 and hasn't made all that much of an impact (that I know about) In the PL
So far has played 5 league games for Swansea and is starting to show some good performances. Think with his lack of size he is taking a bit longer to come to terms to with playing senior football. Definitely one for the future still and is one of the real keys to the England U21's

What happened to that Nathaniel Chalobah from Chelsea? (Not sure about the spelling) he was a fixture in the under 21 team not long ago! Very good player too. He was the enforcer!

I keep hearing this bullshit of germany and Spain, taking their best squad but that simply isn't true.

When Ozil, Neuer and Boateng went to the U21 tournament they weren't regulars for the NT

When Mata, Thiago and De Gea won it they had a handful of caps between them

If they are in the first team, you are wasting your time sending players that proven themselves rather than giving the younger players who qualified.

All the players mentioned above played heavily in the qualifiers for the U21 and THEN managed to kick on to the next level.

Taking players already at that level is a waste of time.

England want a larger pool of players yet at the same time are picking the same players over and over again and its little wonder the NT players tend to act like entitled knobs.

We need fuck shit up and mix it up and say to the players, it doesnt matter who you are. Your place isn't safe.

So far has played 5 league games for Swansea and is starting to show some good performances. Think with his lack of size he is taking a bit longer to come to terms to with playing senior football. Definitely one for the future still and is one of the real keys to the England U21's
Im very ignorant on the subject. I havent kept yp with Carroll. Pleased to hear that he is playing well. Hopefully, like Mason, he shows he can play well at the top level even at "late early" years.

Back
Top Bottom