Disillusion

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me I've never been this disillusioned as a fan. This 4th/5th every year back and forth is great. Most club would kill to have that problem. But we do it with total disregard for the long term. Even the medium term actually. I was so excited about AVB and the project. I thought it was the end of the 18 month manager cycle. I thought we were building a platform that would see us succeed for years to come. But 18 months in he was gone. Lied to about goals? Lost the fans? Lost the players? Whatever. He was out. Tim was in. We go on. We'll probably finish 5th. More Europa League. New players. Probably a new manager. Nothing changes.

We need to recreate our identity. Find a manager that can get us playing attractive winning football. Maybe make a proper push for a cup trophy, as the league will be beyond us in our current form. Once, can we back a manager and sacrifice the short term to build a platform for long term success?

I don't think it's fair to say we have total disregard for the future. Truth is we don't know what may be happening away from the eyes and ears of Timmy.

But I agree with you that now seems one of the most underwhelming and worrying seasons in years. I think in the past, such as during the Nineties, we were shit, but we knew we were and Sugar, like him or loathe him, had saved us from almost tanking under Scholar so you could keep up the positivity that something would happen sooner or later. Sugar may have been a tool, who made a shit ton of mistakes, but there's no doubting that he did, and still does, want the club to do well. So then ENIC come in and everyone gets excited that the omens are good and we can push one. Ultimately that is exactly what has happened and we are in a much better place than we were when George Graham was sacked. But I think what is causing despondence now is that having made those progresses we now seem to be backtracking and not pushing on that little bit more. We've come so much closer to glory that there was some real excitement building that we were on the eve of something special, and it all now seems so far away. So while things are much better in terms of league position I think this is a worse time to be a fan. Some say that wish for the Nineties back again as things were a lot simpler back then. The more I think about it, the more I think they're probably right.

Its the fact that we haven't pushed on at all. We can't keep changing manager and cashing in on our best players if we want to play with the big boys. Look at Liverpool. They refused to let Suarez leave. His 26s goals have made a massive difference. They went backwards to go forwards. To build something that can last long term. We give up on projects too quickly. It creates a sense of "come here for a bit then move on to better things". Players and managers see that now. need to change that philosophy

For me I've never been this disillusioned as a fan. This 4th/5th every year back and forth is great. Most club would kill to have that problem. But we do it with total disregard for the long term. Even the medium term actually. I was so excited about AVB and the project. I thought it was the end of the 18 month manager cycle. I thought we were building a platform that would see us succeed for years to come. But 18 months in he was gone. Lied to about goals? Lost the fans? Lost the players? Whatever. He was out. Tim was in. We go on. We'll probably finish 5th. More Europa League. New players. Probably a new manager. Nothing changes.

We need to recreate our identity. Find a manager that can get us playing attractive winning football. Maybe make a proper push for a cup trophy, as the league will be beyond us in our current form. Once, can we back a manager and sacrifice the short term to build a platform for long term success?

Yep that why I was so annoyed when we got rid of Redknapp and got AVB, not that I liked Redknapp as a person just that we had an identity and it was a Spurs identity, we played the most exciting end to end football in the Prem and got praise from Fergie, Carragher, Rooney, just about everyone to be honest for the quick fun and successful football we put on show, 18 months later and we end up with a very defensive, IMO boring style of football that just didn't seem like a Spurs team at all.

In the last 2 years our sqaud has improved at least in depth/on paper but the football gets worse. I don't blame this on AVB and Sherwood but on Levy's erratic decision making. We seem to switch managers and players far to often, we fail to keep our real stars like the way other teams do and so we never have any continuity. It takes years normally to build a successful team and we keep rebuilding our club every season, how are we supposed to progress?

I personally feel that we should either keep Sherwood and give him 2-3 years to build a team or we bring in a world class manger like LvG or De Boer and give them 2-3 at a minimum, whoever we chose we let them have the final say on transfers as Levy seems to buy anyone even if the manager doesn't want them.

The worst option would be to sack Sherwood then get in another average manager, if Sherwood is an inexperienced average manager he at least knows the club, little point getting an experienced average manager who doesn't know Spurs or England for that matter. Our last 10-15 years is full of very average foreign managers who had one/two good seasons somewhere then fall flat under the pressure of our league/club.

If we give Sherwood a few years or my preference get LvG (if that's possible) and give them a while and final say of the transfers we will develop a style of football, whether we like that style is another matter but all this chopping and changing by Levy puts our ambitions on hold.

Once i knew Arry was leaving us, that January when the England job talk was at its height, i really hoped back then Spurs would have went for Brendan Rodgers. He would have been the perfect man for the job

Once i knew Arry was leaving us, that January when the England job talk was at its height, i really hoped back then Spurs would have went for Brendan Rodgers. He would have been the perfect man for the job
I have to admit i wasn't so sure about him at the time. But can't argue with his success and his style of football. I do wonder how he and levy would have gotten on. John Henry seems to allow him to run the team how he pleases

I was a big advocate of Rodgers at the time, loved what he had done with Swansea.
I have to say though, since being at Liverpool while they have done well Ive lost a hell of a lot of respect/liking for him. He seems like a classless twat full of bullshit.

I was a big advocate of Rodgers at the time, loved what he had done with Swansea.
I have to say though, since being at Liverpool while they have done well Ive lost a hell of a lot of respect/liking for him. He seems like a classless twat full of bullshit.
i think he's just not great speaking in public. he has those players playing out of their skins and thats more important than soundbites for the press (arry's best trait!)

i think he's just not great speaking in public. he has those players playing out of their skins and thats more important than soundbites for the press (arry's best trait!)

Results are great, and they are playing some good stuff (though I think it gets a bit over-hyped) but I just cant warm to him anymore and honestly wouldnt want him at Spurs now.
Did you see the nonsense documentary of him in pre-season last year? Cringe worthy where he thinks he is some sort of super psychologist and clearly he had just read a fortune cookie...

Aside from his smug and smarmy way of presenting himself

Results are great, and they are playing some good stuff (though I think it gets a bit over-hyped) but I just cant warm to him anymore and honestly wouldnt want him at Spurs now.
Did you see the nonsense documentary of him in pre-season last year? Cringe worthy where he thinks he is some sort of super psychologist and clearly he had just read a fortune cookie...

Aside from his smug and smarmy way of presenting himself
yeah that documentary was awful. i'd be embarrassed to be associated with it as a club

Most top managers are, Mourhino is the master of bullshit, little horse my arse, Fergie was also a great producer of bullshit mainly directed at refs who didn't give him every decision, Rogers is quite tame by comparison.

Why does the notion still exist that we just whimsically sell our best players? Wake up folks, it's 2014 and players are hunting for the big name and the big money. Levy has actually made the best of the situation by dragging big money out of a foreign player and subsequently creating a pipeline for those players that wish to leave out of our league.

While I agree that we should be frustrated with many of the moves ENIC has made, continuing to point out the sales of certain players makes no sense if one removes his or heart heart from the equation. Until we can offer perennial Champions League or big wages, it will continue to happen and at least Levy's made the best of it.

As for the larger topic at hand, I'm hoping that lessons have been learned and the pieces are possibly being put in place for the future. The rehire of Broomfield can arguably be seen as evidence towards this. Should be an interesting summer regardless, with some big decisions on the line.

Last edited:
Why does the notion still exist that we just whimsically sell our best players? Wake up folks, it's 2014 and players are hunting for the big name and the big money. Levy has actually made the best of the situation by dragging big money out of a foreign player and subsequently creating a pipeline for those players that wish to leave out of our league.

While I agree that we should be frustrated with many of the moves ENIC has made, continuing to point out the sales of certain players makes no sense if one removes his or heart heart from the equation. Until we can offer perennial Champions League or big wages, it will continue to happen and at least Levy's made the best of it.

As for the larger topic at hand, I'm hoping that lessons have been learned and the pieces are possibly being put in place for the future. The rehire of Broomfield can arguably be seen as evidence towards this. Should be an interesting summer regardless, with some big decisions on the line.
i suppose i was saying that we can't get CL and offer bigger wages if we don't hold onto key players. The cycle continues until we create a long term platform for success.

agree on Broomfield being a welcome (re)addition

League Cup final, FA Cup Semi Final, CL Quarter finals 4th 5th 4th, voted most attractive team to watch, players winning ypoty poty, manager winning the moty ..... .thats wasn't good enough, he conducted a couple of interviews from his car.... the absolute thundercunt!

For me this is still the fallout of Harry leaving. Like him or loathe him, and many Spurs fans appear to do the latter, we had it good under him. The football was exciting, generally speaking (Including when Bale or Modric were not fit or playing). We did not get smashed up under him like we have done since. It was the best it had been for donkeys, and now it's gone. I am worried how long it will be before we see that style and swagger back at the lane

Agree. Said that at the time on here, but the majority wanted avb. Anyway, smug moment over, the thing about your op is in the first bit you talk about sacking avb and how we could have built something, and in the second bit you refer to wanting someone who will play attractive football. That's why it's difficult. His football is certainly not attractive/exciting.

Anyway, for the majority of clubs, the vast majority, managers come and go, it's just what happens. If Mourinho had started the season with west Brom he'd probably have got the sack at some point. The whole thing is a myopic load of shit.

The team is not in the top four teams in terms of quality, but who knows what could happen if the right manager comes along. Give it a few months then sack the cunt and try somebody else

Back
Top Bottom