Disco Benny

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

for a start:
L7sGWLa.png

A meeting with a netherlandish manager... Jol?

I watched the QPR game and he was terrible last night. He's probably best off with QPR because he would be more of a liability than Rose on his current form. Carrol wasn't too bad but he needs to bulk up still.

Was speaking to a woman at work who's a QPR season ticket holder and she can't stand him or Tommy Carroll. Said we can have then back anytime.
I have been a big Benny fan since he came in, prone to a bit of a howler now and again but he's better than Rose for me.

Last edited:
QPR's Benoit Assou-Ekotto unhappy with FA charge
BENOIT ASSOU-EKOTTO has spoken of his disappointment at the FA’s decision to charge him with improper conduct.

QPR’s on-loan Tottenham defender was charged following social media posts relating to the ‘quenelle’ gesture. Hull striker Yannick Sagbo has also been charged, while Samir Nasri and Mamadou Sakho have also been rapped on the knuckles.

The salute came to the fore when West Brom forward Nicolas Anelka made the arm gesture when celebrating a goal against West Ham on December 28.

Assou-Ekotto said: “I am disappointed to have been charged by the Football Association with misconduct in respect of my use of Twitter but I am grateful that as part of this process I will be able to present my case to them.

“I would like to reassure the fans of both Tottenham and QPR, along with the footballcommunity generally, that I condemn discrimination and racism in any form lol".

BAE has an interview (in Portuguese) about the upcoming world cup here:
http://globoesporte.globo.com/futeb...-de-futebol-quer-conhecer-favelas-no-rio.html
Not a pile here that's super interesting, but he's asked what he knows about Brazilian football:
BAE said:
“But, in reality, I'm not a fan of football to the point of knowing clubs, managers, stadia, and so on. That said, I was with Gomes for many years at Tottenham, and my brother Sandro is a great guy. There's also Paulinho, who signed with Tottenham while I was getting to know Julio [César] at QPR. In England, there are lots of Brazilian players [lists them]. I think you could make a Brazilian national team with players who are or were in England and this team could win the World Cup.”
They then ask what he knows about Brazil, and his answer is rather thoughtful:
BAE said:
“I'm very passionate about the history of humanity. Often we forget that our world is about people and not things. Brazil is a huge world power now, and, as an African, I know many of our socio-political leaders who see Brazil as a model for growth. I'm excited by Brazil on a human level because it's home to the biggest African diaspora in the world. And as one of the strongest emerging economies it can be a good example for small nations like mine. I'm working with my foundation, BAE32, to start a platform that encourages education and employment for youth in science, technology, engineering, and maths. Education is important, because without it we cannot create a public, connections, or nations. There are social problems everywhere, and the only path towards reducing them is to find solutions that allow human growth. At the heart of all inequality is education and, for me, it's not just if you learn or not, but what you learn and how you're taught. I hope that we can use the World Cup to encourage a couple of boys and girls to dream new dreams.”
Then he's asked about what an appropriate punishment for racism would be in football. Again, thoughtful, but a little of Disco Benny shines through:
BAE said:
“It's always a tragedy when someone is judged based on the colour of their skin. It's frustrating that we can send a man to the moon, but we're not capabled of seeing that, as human, we have more in common than different. If aliens came to Earth, they won't distinguish different types of people… for them, we're all the same species. But I'm just a footballer, and my contribution is to play and entertain. Administrators are better equipped to make the rules, and they should make rules and regulations that reflect the higher ambitions of human dignity.”
Finally, he's asked how he'd spend a weeklong holiday in Brazil.
BAE said:
“I'm really lazy and I like the sun. So I suppose I would lie down on a beach and sleep. Ok. I'll need a high-speed internet connection to watch "Band of Brothers". But if I'm not allowed to be lazy, sleep, or watch TV, I would like to visit the favelas and get to know the youth and hear their dreams. Some of my teammates told me about a project in Rocinha, in Rio, and I'd like to see that. There's the City of God, which became famous because of the film. But I wouldn't want to do a tourist visit, but rather to get to know people, youths, hear their stories, see some of their challenges. Knowing people whose day-to-day is different from mine and learning something new. Maybe how to be a better person. Those who seem to have less always have more to give.”

I think lots of people hate him out of envy, in a way i understand because you'd expect a footballer to give his all in training etc ... But i cant help liking Bae because he's not as plastic as many of his colleagues and in his own weird way is a very intelligent person. I'm sure that a convo with him would be a lot more interesting then the stuff we normally get, the PR pre chewed plastic nonsense.

"But I'm just a footballer, and my contribution is to play and entertain. Administrators are better equipped to make the rules, and they should make rules and regulations that reflect the higher ambitions of human dignity.”

Back
Top Bottom