Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me Dembele's biggest strength is his ability to retain possession in almost impossible situations, that is a good skill to have if you have a player who can hold onto the ball easily 20-30 yards for goal despite 3-4 men on him. If he can just improve the passing and shooting a bit we are onto a winner.

For me Dembele's biggest strength is his ability to retain possession in almost impossible situations, that is a good skill to have if you have a player who can hold onto the ball easily 20-30 yards for goal despite 3-4 men on him. If he can just improve the passing and shooting a bit we are onto a winner.
I think at this point we are not going to change his game but of he is played in the right position against the right opposition he can be class like last night. I would love for him to improve his shooting but years of evidence suggests otherwise unfortunately

And this is why he needs to play further forward. Having him hold the ball higher up eases the pressure on our defence, so often when we play the ball in advanced positions it just comes straight back (e.g. Townsend).

Also, for those who say him higher up impacts on Eriksen best position, I didn't see any negative last night, the movement from all our front players was very fluid, no evidence of a fixed position so shouldn't matter.

And this is why he needs to play further forward. Having him hold the ball higher up eases the pressure on our defence, so often when we play the ball in advanced positions it just comes straight back (e.g. Townsend).

Also, for those who say him higher up impacts on Eriksen best position, I didn't see any negative last night, the movement from all our front players was very fluid, no evidence of a fixed position so shouldn't matter.

Yeh I wouldn't get too worried about whether Dembele is played left, middle or right further forward as they all rotate, almost like having 3 number 10's. The position only means something defensively ie if Dembele is put on the left he will defend on the left but interchange in attack.

I know dembele was originally an attacking player earlier in his career so it might be the future.

Brilliant last night. As Team Tanguy Team Tanguy says, he had three players round him at one point stuck out on the wing and he pulled off a series of tricks Houdini would have been proud of to evade them all and get in the box. Magical.

I have probably been his biggest critic. Simply he has not done enough for us. However, the SF 2nd leg was just what you'd wanted out of him. Maybe the final pass/shot let him down, but he was more mobile, more direct, passed it quicker -& forwards and took on players. He also stopped them from having anytime to build momentum. Basically we went to pieces when he went off as they then got time, unhindered, on the ball from the middle/back.
If he played further up and that positively each time then he will be worth keeping. If he can start scoring and assisting he will be an asset to have as he has all the other attributes.

Been reading criticism of his final touch in the match thread today. Brought to mind something I heard about him when he was young.

As a kid, he didn't have a proper pitch to play on, so him and his mates played on a basketball court. A goal was scored when you dribbled to the post that the hoop was attached to and stopped. Apparently this could have something to do with his lack of final passing or shooting prowess, as he was used to dribbling superbly, then stopping.

Just a thought.....

Excellent performance today. Could have been better in the final third as usual but still a big showing from him today. Good man

Needs some more love on the forum. He is my most improved player this season by a distance. From looking like he couldn't give a sh1t he is now leaner and fitter. Clearly been training well and now Poch is playing him further forward, loving his football again.

Remember that last minute hero of a goal against Lyon almost exactly two years back? He's not far off that form. Only a matter of time before he bags a worldie against some proper opposition.

We've got our Moussa back.

I remember when he played behind the striker against Woolwich when AVB was managing a season ago. We looked so boring and out of idea out there and he we were offering anything going forward. Now he goes out there in the same position and we dominate on both sides of the ball. Its amazing what the right manager and tactics can do for a player.

Back
Top Bottom