Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good article on Dembele. He remains such a beguiling player. He probably should be played mostly in tough games, he just is not the player you want when a team is trying to park the bus. Slows down play so much but capable of brilliant performances every so often. Frustrating. Can seem him getting passed up by Stambouli eventually.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/mousa-dembele-and-the-issue-in-tottenhams-midfield/

Dembele as a DM is great. Dembele as an AM should be looked into.

Expecting our DM to create when we have wingbacks, 3 attacking midfierlders and a striker is why you will remain frustrated with Dembele. There is nothing he could do about the complete lack of ideas our attacking 4 had in their last game.

Good article on Dembele. He remains such a beguiling player. He probably should be played mostly in tough games, he just is not the player you want when a team is trying to park the bus. Slows down play so much but capable of brilliant performances every so often. Frustrating. Can seem him getting passed up by Stambouli eventually.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/mousa-dembele-and-the-issue-in-tottenhams-midfield/
That article is spot on! more concerned with his passing percentages than he is working for Poch & the team.

That article is spot on! more concerned with his passing percentages than he is working for Poch & the team.

I wouldn't go that far. I think Dembele has always been a hard worker, he is just limited (though it feels like he creates his own limitations). Hard to see a player who transitions the ball so slowly ever working in a Pochettino system. It's based on getting the ball forward quickly and hitting the opponents in transition and we have a lot of evidence at this point that Dembele is not a player who can do that. Playing him at AM is also wishful thinking IMO, don't see why he would succeed there.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't at the club this time next year. It's so frustrating as it feels like there's so much talent there, but our sample size is getting pretty large and if this continues I think we just have to accept this is the player he is and there isn't anymore to get out of him.

I wouldn't go that far. I think Dembele has always been a hard worker, he is just limited (though it feels like he creates his own limitations). Hard to see a player who transitions the ball so slowly ever working in a Pochettino system. It's based on getting the ball forward quickly and hitting the opponents in transition and we have a lot of evidence at this point that Dembele is not a player who can do that. Playing him at AM is also wishful thinking IMO, don't see why he would succeed there.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't at the club this time next year. It's so frustrating as it feels like there's so much talent there, but our sample size is getting pretty large and if this continues I think we just have to accept this is the player he is and there isn't anymore to get out of him.

A DM isnt an expansive role. Esp when you are babysitting our delicate little flowers.

ValuableLinedAmericangoldfinch.gif

:dembele:

Why this guy isn't world class will always stun me. He almost never scores but whenever he shoots he absolutely drills low rockets. All his goals have been class, perfect placed and well hit right into the bottom corner. Yet he almost never does it.

His best role is coming off the bench when we have a lead. He controls the ball so well in the center of the pitch and calms/slows the game. Perfect for killing off a game. He's pretty much useless if a team has an organized defense or is parking the bus though.

Love this guy. I think there's a little Dembele in all of us, from the smart kid who pissed his life away smoking weed instead of studying, to the person at work who does the bare minimum instead of chasing promotion.

It kills me how he should be so much more. He's my favourite player but the way I see it he has until the end of the season to prove he has a place in this squad, he's 27 years old now. Whether he's carrying injuries or lacking focus etc it's make or break. Doesn't look too likely now but I'll be hoping he cements a place.
There are players who beat players more frequently, but no one makes it look as easy and does it as stylishly as he does. In full flow he's amazing to watch. So many great attributes, from looking like a complete box-to-box he turned into a pseudo-DM. Lately he's been better, I reckon he'll have his chance when Bentaleb goes ACN and Mason needs resting eventually. Take it Moose.

Team Tanguy Team Tanguy

love moussa, great post..
that goal against lyon and his first goal in his first game for us in the prem springs to mind of perfect examples of him at his best..
i remember watching him for fulham against UTD like a week before we bought him..best on pitch by far

Dembele was superb for Fulham & I was really excited when we signed him. I can see him moving on & re establishing himself as a top player. Look how well Siggy has done since his move (& before he came to us to be fair).

Hes definitely a better central,midfield option than anyone else in the squad.... Well on paper he is. Has all the attributes to be an amazing box to box player yet flatters to decieve on so many occasions. Has a tendency to slow the game down when urgency is needed, weird. Loves a square ball when he could push forward as an easier option!

great player to have on the field when you're nursing a two goal cushion. capacity to retain the ball and find a pass was first class today.

With players like this on our bench, along with Capoue and Stambouli, we really neednt be looking to sign any CMs. Pauli can just leave.

Doesnt even need a replacment.

Dembele is class

Great for tough games and when we are holding a lead. Not useful for games where the opponent is parking the bus. There's your Dembele owners manual.

Struggled a bit when he first came on we conceded, but really came into the game and played very well overall. Kept possession when we needed to in the second half.

Back
Top Bottom