Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dembele has one of the most underrated passing games in the prem. Plus a lot of people misunderstand his game, Parker used to do this too: DM's when they find themselves forward dwell on the ball to draw defenders. The more they draw, the less the Townsends and Soldados can get double teamed. The problem is when Dembele does release, there is no quick passing after that.

Dembele can't afford to be cavalier with it because what is behind him if he misses a pass: Dawson? Naughton? Fryers? Rose? Dembele is solid as a rock.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...No-Steven-Gerrard-10-Mousa-Dembele-leads.html

"Long ranger: Mousa Dembele leads the way in the Premier League for successful long passes"

This is from last year. Dembele actually has the best passing stats at the club since he has been here. That is such a bonus since he has played as a DM and that is not usually their game. Such an underated player. And criminally underused tactically by AVB.

Mate, I don't think football is a game that is supported by stats - long passes aren't necessarily right passes. As I said previously, he dithers on the ball at times, not all the time but enough for it to be noticeable. I don't buy into your theory, and it can only be theory because it isn't based on a great deal of evidence, I'm afraid, that he is drawing players to him. I would accept that he has occasion to not want to lose possession when only Dawson stands between himself and the goal but that doesn't excuse when he does it whilst the defence is covered, does it?

I don't like being drawn into slating a player but as you only picked up on the one negative I had on him, I now feel as though I am.

Dembele has one of the most underrated passing games in the prem. Plus a lot of people misunderstand his game, Parker used to do this too: DM's when they find themselves forward dwell on the ball to draw defenders. The more they draw, the less the Townsends and Soldados can get double teamed. The problem is when Dembele does release, there is no quick passing after that.

Dembele can't afford to be cavalier with it because what is behind him if he misses a pass: Dawson? Naughton? Fryers? Rose? Dembele is solid as a rock.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...No-Steven-Gerrard-10-Mousa-Dembele-leads.html

"Long ranger: Mousa Dembele leads the way in the Premier League for successful long passes"

This is from last year. Dembele actually has the best passing stats at the club since he has been here. That is such a bonus since he has played as a DM and that is not usually their game. Such an underated player. And criminally underused tactically by AVB.

38 games, 2 goal 1 assist :harryhmm:

Modric was never that bad.... Even Lennon has 1 assist and he's played 13 games less

:harrylol: :avbfu:

38 games, 2 goal 1 assist :harryhmm:

Modric was never that bad.... Even Lennon has 1 assist and he's played 13 games less

:harrylol: :avbfu:

You know avb used him as a dm right? He has had around 40 less shots on goal than Townsend etc.

Just another case of your man avb frustrating players with their roles.

You know avb used him as a dm right? He has had around 40 less shots on goal than Townsend etc.

Just another case of your man avb frustrating players with their roles.

I thought that didn't matter

After all, Modric was played very deep at Madrid.. He's still shit though, right?

But we don't have that luxury, and might never have. He needs to step it up with shit players.

IMO we had a chance of 4th because of the hard work of Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho etc. We won a LOT of games by narrow margins with a tight defense by keeping a tight midfield and retaining possession.

I think he did step up. The weak link in the team is finishing and intelligence and he has been a DM. He gives the team a very solid base. So much so we have good attacking stats, but have not capitalized on the chances, corners etc and have had the wrong people taking the final shots.

The Soldados, Lennons, Townsends, Holtby's, Paulinhos finishing has been terrible. I have faith in Holtby and Paulinho for the future. The rest just weaken us too much and should be moved on. It's like playing with 10 men. At least you know Dembele, Holtby and Paulhinho are on the pitch.

Just some stats from Squawka:

Dembele - 25 appearances (1 goal)
50% Shot accuracy, 91% pass acc, 31 chances created

Paulinho - 19 appearances (4 goals)
41% Shot accuracy, 85% pass acc, 19 changes created

Townsend - 18 appearances (1 goal)
56% Shot accuracy, 85% pass acc, 23 chances created

Lennon - 20 apperances (1 goal)
100% Shot accuracy, 85% pass acc, 27 chances created

I'd say a lot of stick you give our English players is unfounded, stats certainly don't help you

Just some stats from Squawka:

Dembele - 25 appearances (1 goal)
50% Shot accuracy, 91% pass acc, 31 chances created

Paulinho - 19 appearances (4 goals)
41% Shot accuracy, 85% pass acc, 19 changes created

Townsend - 18 appearances (1 goal)
56% Shot accuracy, 85% pass acc, 23 chances created

Lennon - 20 apperances (1 goal)
100% Shot accuracy, 85% pass acc, 27 chances created

I'd say a lot of stick you give our English players is unfounded, stats certainly don't help you

You can cherry pick to your hearts delight.

The fact that Townsend has had 54 shots at goal in the prem compared to Dembeles 13 may wake you up. If not how about this: It's fucking obvious Townsends finishing has been terrible this season.

You really will do ANYTHING to argue with me won't you? Including bogus stat regarding Lennon being 100% accurate this season. I like Squawker, but that stat must be from one game or a mistake...Because he has not had 100% shot accuracy this season.

According to this out of 17 shots, only 5 were on target.

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/35866/aaron-lennon?cc=5901

I mean I love using stats, but it looks like this one caught you with your pants down. Esp when you tout Townsend solitary goal...Which was a cross, as a positive. hahaha. When stats go wrong...

Last edited:
You can cherry pick to your hearts delight.

The fact that Townsend has had 54 shots at goal in the prem compared to Dembeles 13 may wake you up. If not how about this: It's fucking obvious Townsends finishing has been terrible this season.

You really will do ANYTHING to argue with me won't you? Including bogus stat regarding Lennon being 100% accurate this season. I like Squawker, but that stat must be from one game or a mistake...Because he has not had 100% shot accuracy this season.

According to this out of 17 shots, only 5 were on target.

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/35866/aaron-lennon?cc=5901

I mean I love using stats, but it looks like this one caught you with your pants down.

I said it was from Squawka, it was the first thing in the post.

But of course, you need to feel like a winner in everything...

Care to divulge why it's cherry picking? You're blatantly either strange, or casually racist towards English players as you refuse to acknowledge they deserve just as merit and support as any other nationality of player in the squad.

Just a hint: It's not always a comparison. You compare, then when people point out it's unfair to treat players like that, you compare them some more....

Confused by him and he medical team... he came back today and at least to me didnt look to be 100 percent. I understand that he might not be technically 100 percent but I expect him to be physically 100 percent or he ahouldnt be playing. Absolute no reason for him to come back unless its at full strength. Wasnt a lot of time so hopefully he will look better physically.

Confused by him and he medical team... he came back today and at least to me didnt look to be 100 percent. I understand that he might not be technically 100 percent but I expect him to be physically 100 percent or he ahouldnt be playing. Absolute no reason for him to come back unless its at full strength. Wasnt a lot of time so hopefully he will look better physically.
I thought he looked good when he came on?
Received the ball a lot and generally looked like the midfield player we have been missing since he has been injured.

Can someone explain to me why a player so physically and technically gifted is usually a non-factor in most games? He should be dominating games like Lampard/Gerrard with the ability he's been blessed with.

Can someone explain to me why a player so physically and technically gifted is usually a non-factor in most games? He should be dominating games like Lampard/Gerrard with the ability he's been blessed with.

He's been used as a DM for most of his Spurs career. At least Sherwood has stated he wants to use him in a more attacking role in the future and did so for one game. Unfortunately the DM for that game got injured so Dembele had to go back in the boiler room.

He's been used as a DM for most of his Spurs career. At least Sherwood has stated he wants to use him in a more attacking role in the future and did so for one game. Unfortunately the DM for that game got injured so Dembele had to go back in the boiler room.
You'd have a point if his un-productivity hasn't been a trend for the majority of his career. Even as far back as his AZ career where he played as a winger or even a striker he had an atrocious goalscoring record.

For all the praise he gets on here, he literally does nothing on the pitch apart from dribbling past his markers in his own half. For me to be a top midfield player you have to have at least 1 game-impacting attribute (goalscoring, creativity or defensive nous). He has none of those 3.

For all the praise he gets on here, he literally does nothing on the pitch apart from dribbling past his markers in his own half. For me to be a top midfield player you have to have at least 1 game-impacting attribute (goalscoring, creativity or defensive nous). He has none of those 3.

He's been asked to be a DM. He has great defensive stats. And for a DM, he has amazing passing stats that you need for stability. Him being in the middle was partly why AVB lasted as long as he did with our narrow victories in the past.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...omparison-of-chelsea-and-spurs-midfield-stars

Last edited:

I think his hip injury is worse than it appears. He's progressively gotten slower in step, touch, and shielding of the ball since last year. He could use a good rest, but unfortunately he will not get one this summer.

You'd have a point if his un-productivity hasn't been a trend for the majority of his career. Even as far back as his AZ career where he played as a winger or even a striker he had an atrocious goalscoring record.

IMO Technically he is our best player. Everything goes through him. It can be said that he slows us down, but I'd say that is largely due to players not showing for him and creating shit angles for him. If played as a DM he is more effective when we paly with x2 DM's, the other playing slightly in front of him creating space for him to exploit with his dribbling ability, we saw this to great effect last year when partnered with Sandro. The very best I have ever seen him play was for Fulham (just before we bought him) sorry for the shit vid but it highlight just how good he is:

In addition take a look at his performance against Villa last year shows how good he is at everything you say he can't do.

Bottom line he's great our managers ain't.

Back
Top Bottom