Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does he? He still scored two goals in the Stoke match. He's a key player and due to his own stupidity misses out for the remainder of the season.

It is different than Vardy, he took a gamble with his dive, could've turned out well for him as well, being rewarded with a penalty. What Alli did was always going to end bad for him and doesn't gain him anything.

It's all if's and but's. Is it any different to Vardy doing something stupid and getting caught out? These things happen in football, will just have to adapt. We move on, to be honest, he's looked like needing to be benched for a bit.
Sure he's young and will hopefully learn from it and not do it again, that's not to say that it wasn't extremely stupid and unproductive. The thing is, he has been doing this kind of stuff the whole season and at some point it was going to catch up with him and it has. I just get the feeling that because it's extremely unlikely now that we'll win the title, that people are more forgiving about Alli missing the rest of the season. Imagine we had actually won against West Brom and then couldn't rely on one of our best players in Alli for the title challenge due to his own stupidity. It's an action that could've lost us the title.
His loss could still be costly. We are now back to the scenario where if the two teams below us win, they are 2 points behind us, then the pressure is on at Chavs.
Lose that, and we go into the Southampton game needing a win (a draw would only guarantee us staying over both Woolwich/Man City on GD if either of them was to win when they play each other.)
It could all go down to the last game then for 2nd and third places, and Man City have got Swansea and Woolwich Villa. We have by far the hardest game on paper.

His loss could still be costly. We are now back to the scenario where if the two teams below us win, they are 2 points behind us, then the pressure is on at Chavs.
Lose that, and we go into the Southampton game needing a win (a draw would only guarantee us staying over both Woolwich/Man City on GD if either of them was to win when they play each other.)
It could all go down to the last game then for 2nd and third places, and Man City have got Swansea and Woolwich Villa. We have by far the hardest game on paper.

I would say his loss could be costly, however I am more confident about our game without him as Chadli or Son could still come in and do a pretty good job. Whereas if it was Lloris, Toby, Dembele, Dier or Kane, I would be far more concerned. Why all the negativity all of a sudden? We are not a one man team called Alli Utd.

I would say his loss could be costly, however I am more confident about our game without him as Chadli or Son could still come in and do a pretty good job. Whereas if it was Lloris, Toby, Dembele, Dier or Kane, I would be far more concerned. Why all the negativity all of a sudden? We are not a one man team called Alli Utd.
Well he's our 2nd highest goalscorer in the league.
Our goals come from Kane, Ali, Eriksen and Lamela. Yet the lat two have only scored 6 and 4 times in the league respectively this year.
Ali has scored more league goals than Lamela, Son and Chadli together.
Ali is also our second highest assister.
He is very important to our team. Think about the Watford game at home for instance.
He gives us an outlet and an extra man,
Sometimes Chadli can be very ineffective from the start and is nowhere near as mobile as Ali.

I have faith but I also know he'll be a big miss.
I would start with Mason in his place with Dembele and Dier behind, presuming Dier is ok. He can play there.

There is useful agression and there is pointless agression. Punching someone in the stomach on a set-piece falls under the latter category. What exactly did he gain from doing that? It has gotten him a three games suspension... that's of great help in our title challenge (as far as that still exists)... Veira, Keane and Mackay were intimidating the opponent, what Alli did was just sad and sneaky imo and not particularly productive either.
Why does this bug you so much? He isn't our best player, he isn't even our best midfielder. You are so focused on the act you fail too see the bigger picture, that this character and attitude is the reason we are 2nd in the League.

Veira, Keane were nasty, nasty bastards Veira still holding the record for the most red cards, that is a lot of games missed as a consequence BUT even missing games through suspension the tone and attitude of the team is set and established. The individual player is not the miss, we are more than the sum of our parts.

If there is a player we should be concerned about losing right now then that is Dier, not Alli.

He will learn from this. I personally don't think he'll be as much of a miss as some people think. No where near as important as Kane, Eriksen, Dier, Dembele or even Lamela to our style or play or what we need.

I hope he continues to work very hard on the training ground and gets himself ready for the Euros.

Why does this bug you so much? He isn't our best player, he isn't even our best midfielder

Because he gets himself suspended for the rest of the season (which has now been confirmed) due to stupidity, can't describe it in any other way. And it was coming to be honest, it's been going on the whole season.

He certainly is one of our best players, guaranteed starter, second most goals scored in the team, high number of assists as well. He has been named talent of the year, doesn't that say it all really? He's a key player for us and will be missed.

You are so focused on the act you fail too see the bigger picture, that this character and attitude is the reason we are 2nd in the League.

And his suspension might be one of the reasons we won't stay there, but fall further down.

Because he gets himself suspended for the rest of the season (which has now been confirmed) due to stupidity, can't describe it in any other way. And it was coming to be honest, it's been going on the whole season.

He certainly is one of our best players, guaranteed starter, second most goals scored in the team, high number of assists as well. He has been named talent of the year, doesn't that say it all really? He's a key player for us and will be missed.

And his suspension might be one of the reasons we won't stay there, but fall further down.
Yet you fail to acknowledge it is his attitude displayed (and by the rest of the team) is what has got us in this position in the first place, you know competing for the title, something we haven't done in 55yrs. We are a team of hard, tricky, bastards, what the fuck is their not to like? We are where we are now because of this and because of this we will have players suspended, this is brilliant not something to moan about but something to embrace.

I love Alli, he is a revelation. I love his exuberance and energy, his athleticism stretches teams, always moving and dropping into space or charging into it but Dembele, is better than him, Eriksen is better than him (and IMO is without doubt should be YPOTY), Kane is better than him. Without Dier we don't have the same control so whilst Alli is a better technically than Dier, Dier is the platform in our shape and allows us to control midfield and therefore more important. All of these players are also more consistent performers, rarely scoring less than 7/10. I probably would select Lamela ahead of him too if push came to shove. Alli lacks this consistency and has even been on occasion (thankfully only a handful) a liability, all of which I accept in him, just as I accept that he will every season be pinged for disciplinary issues and long may that continue.

We are tactical foulers, we know exactly what we are doing, we collect yellows like they are going out of fashion but never a red (I've jinxed it now). Yet our defenders hardly tackle let alone foul, they stay on their feet. The likes of Alli are instructed to do what they do, it is an integral part of our play, as I said earlier take a look at the Poch videos on YouTube he was a nasty bastard, Poch has already said he likes this side in Alli. Given what you have seen this season and how we have coped when other players have not been selected and others fill their position and we continued to play in exactly the same way I am at a loss to how you can be so nervous that because he doesn't play our season falls apart.

Do you think the club will take any disciplinary action of their own?

At the time of Alli's incident we could still go on and win that game. His age doesn't excuse the fact his actions have put him out for the last three games. We could have gone 5 behind on Monday and he's put himself out of the most important games of the season.

As it is we're 7 behind and it's not such a big deal as the title is all but gone.

Perhaps the three game ban is a big enough lesson but it'd be interesting if the club did take any further action.
Bet the FA were chuffed to be given the opportunity though, nice little rest before the Euros.

Haven't we got a squad of players? Its better for a player, as Mason for example, to know he will play, 3 full games rather than a few minutes here and there. We will cope without him, a fresh player coming in could make all the difference.

Haven't we got a squad of players? Its better for a player, as Mason for example, to know he will play, 3 full games rather than a few minutes here and there. We will cope without him, a fresh player coming in could make all the difference.

Totally agree, as I said Alli needs a bit of bench time, he's look a bit off in some recent matches. Yes he scored 2 against Stoke. However against Liverpool he was anonymous, then against WBA he was targeted big time. As Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 said we all love they type of player he is and like that nasty streak in him. Sometimes a bit of stupidity will get him in trouble, he'll learn from this experience. We've still got Eriksen and Lamela who effect games as much if not more than Alli as they are at times far more involved in matches.

Yet you fail to acknowledge it is his attitude displayed (and by the rest of the team) is what has got us in this position in the first place, you know competing for the title, something we haven't done in 55yrs. We are a team of hard, tricky, bastards, what the fuck is their not to like? We are where we are now because of this and because of this we will have players suspended, this is brilliant not something to moan about but something to embrace.

I love Alli, he is a revelation. I love his exuberance and energy, his athleticism stretches teams, always moving and dropping into space or charging into it but Dembele, is better than him, Eriksen is better than him (and IMO is without doubt should be YPOTY), Kane is better than him. Without Dier we don't have the same control so whilst Alli is a better technically than Dier, Dier is the platform in our shape and allows us to control midfield and therefore more important. All of these players are also more consistent performers, rarely scoring less than 7/10. I probably would select Lamela ahead of him too if push came to shove. Alli lacks this consistency and has even been on occasion (thankfully only a handful) a liability, all of which I accept in him, just as I accept that he will every season be pinged for disciplinary issues and long may that continue.

We are tactical foulers, we know exactly what we are doing, we collect yellows like they are going out of fashion but never a red (I've jinxed it now). Yet our defenders hardly tackle let alone foul, they stay on their feet. The likes of Alli are instructed to do what they do, it is an integral part of our play, as I said earlier take a look at the Poch videos on YouTube he was a nasty bastard, Poch has already said he likes this side in Alli. Given what you have seen this season and how we have coped when other players have not been selected and others fill their position and we continued to play in exactly the same way I am at a loss to how you can be so nervous that because he doesn't play our season falls apart.
I totally agree about the attitude shown by the players this year, but I understand the annoyance with his ban as it was something he could've controlled - I'm happy to accept it, he's young, got wound up, lashed out. With the tactical fouling in mind, similar acts can then become a hindrance.

I'm not sure but it might've been against Palace where he got booked for throwing the ball at someone - once he's on a yellow he then couldn't say take a yellow card to stop a counter attack as he's walking a tightrope because he lost his cool.

It's a shame for him but we'd suffer much more without Dembele or Dier, he's had his moments of brilliance but recently I've felt he's been a bit of form. Don't get me wrong I'd still want him to start every game, but at the moment I think we can put Chadli or Mason in instead and not suffer too much.

Do you think the club will take any disciplinary action of their own?

At the time of Alli's incident we could still go on and win that game. His age doesn't excuse the fact his actions have put him out for the last three games. We could have gone 5 behind on Monday and he's put himself out of the most important games of the season.

As it is we're 7 behind and it's not such a big deal as the title is all but gone.

Perhaps the three game ban is a big enough lesson but it'd be interesting if the club did take any further action.
Bet the FA were chuffed to be given the opportunity though, nice little rest before the Euros.

I hope and think Poch won't take any club disciplinary against the lad, I think being 19 and brand new to the PL does provide a big excuse, it's why experience can only be gained with age, and am sure Poch will see it that way too.

No issue with this..but one caveat.
If the FA are going down this road, then they need to explain how its going to happen. will they have someone studying the tapes from every game? do they rely on the TV channels? angry you tubers?

Do me a favour... I don't know your age, but I assume you're either too young to remember the likes of Terry Hurlock, Gavin McGuire, Vinnie Jones and Mark Dennis??? ...or you only 'discovered' football recently, since the Foxes' great escape last season perhaps? ...or was it when they beat Man City earlier this season??

Anyway, if you're actually a Fox, please take your ridiculous accusations and fuck off back to your Den... and if you're really Spurs, please don't label Alli a thug... There have been true thugs of the game down the years, but he really isn't one of them you know...
He's the Young Player of the Year for a reason... 'cos he's young, and youngsters make mistakes, just like he has... but he's also the best young player in the League this year... so let's focus on the positives, eh?
he wouldnt have liked Micky Harford......

Why has the FA done fuck all about the WBA player who provoked Alli in the first place ?

Yacob was it ? Just a typical Pullis clogger.

And how come Connor Wickham sneakily elbowed Vertonghen in the head and put him out or three months and could have fractured his skull at the same time but this is the same ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom