DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was at that match (US Open Cup in Philadelphia). I was watching Yedlin. He seems very competent, but then again, it was against a mediocre MLS team ...

Unsurprisingly, Yedlin was named the best player under 24 in MLS.
-----
Three years ago, he was still in the Sounders academy. Two years ago, he was at the University of Akron. Today, Yedlin is a World Cup veteran, an MLS All-Star, and a soon-to-be EPL player. It’s a whirlwind trajectory that provides a blueprint for future player development.

What the technical staffers say: "He's arguably the top attacking right back in the league. His speed is excellent. He needs to improve on the defensive side of the ball -- locking down in the final third and not giving up so much space. Because he goes forward so much, he's susceptible to leaving holes."

What Opta Sports says: Has attempted 72 crosses, fifth most among defenders. His 72.3 percent passing accuracy in the final third is second among defenders with at least 100 passes attempted.
-----

http://www.mlssoccer.com/24under24/news/article/2014/09/25/1-deandre-yedlin-seattle-sounders

Yedlin started at right midfield tonight for the US. He's been playing very well and terrorizing Ecuador's leftback. He also picked up an assist on the first goal. He's my MOTM after the first half.

EntireRadiantAmericanmarten.gif

All I can say is this kid's special. Really, really special. We've got one hell of a talent on our hands.

Can anyone predict if he will eventually move to MF, or is it still too early to say?
It honestly would be really epic if we get another Gareth Bale story in our hands.

Can anyone predict if he will eventually move to MF, or is it still too early to say?
It honestly would be really epic if we get another Gareth Bale story in our hands.

He's so rarely put in goal scoring positions that I have no idea what his finishing ability is like so it's hard to say. He did almost score tonight off a rebound, but Ecuador's keeper made a very nice save...I will say this, his crossing and passing is significantly better than his first season in MLS, which means he is more than capable of playing in the midfield.

Given his speed, I would love to see him at the receiving end of through balls against high line opposition. For that reason alone I would be interested in him playing midfield.

His dribbling skills don't seem to be quite there for a switch for at least a few years. I could certainly be mistaken though.

Question is...If he comes in and actually starts playing RB will Dier switch back to CB?

Playing MF would actually make his defending ability a strength but his finishing ability is in question only because he hasn't had many chances as a RB as the poster above alluded to.

He was MOTM in many publications in the States that I could find.

Given his speed, I would love to see him at the receiving end of through balls against high line opposition. For that reason alone I would be interested in him playing midfield.
Surely the optimuim position for that would be wide forward / wing?

Surely the optimuim position for that would be wide forward / wing?

Absolutely the preferred preferred position for something like that, but all of the other things that come with that position makes me wonder if he has what it takes.

He is very much a punch to the box, hold up, cross type wingback. I've yet to see him launch at full speed and pick up the pass. You need legit dribbling skills to be able to do that with any sort of success.

This might have been touched on already, but he needs to be surrounded by players that really understand they'll have to drop in to cover the giant hole he will inevitably create. I'm not just talking about when he goes forward with the ball either. Saw a lot of defensive plays from midfield last night. If they had gotten past him opposition Wpuld have had a wide open pitch to work with.

Absolutely the preferred preferred position for something like that, but all of the other things that come with that position makes me wonder if he has what it takes.

He is very much a punch to the box, hold up, cross type wingback. I've yet to see him launch at full speed and pick up the pass. You need legit dribbling skills to be able to do that with any sort of success.

This might have been touched on already, but he needs to be surrounded by players that really understand they'll have to drop in to cover the giant hole he will inevitably create. I'm not just talking about when he goes forward with the ball either. Saw a lot of defensive plays from midfield last night. If they had gotten past him opposition Wpuld have had a wide open pitch to work with.
Our squad might suit him, since Poche wants the fullbacks to provide the width when the wingers cut in. Our biggest challenge over the next 3 months will be having Lamela handcuffed by having to stay wide more of the time provide width since Dier can't come forward like Walker could.

Our squad might suit him, since Poche wants the fullbacks to provide the width when the wingers cut in. Our biggest challenge over the next 3 months will be having Lamela handcuffed by having to stay wide more of the time provide width since Dier can't come forward like Walker could.

I would say that our biggest handcuff in concerns to Dier is that he's being played out of position. He's been a decent RB, but he really needs to be playing that central defenders role. Also, we've gotta really hope that he doesn't get hurt, cause at this point he's basically our last option.

Yedlin started at right midfield tonight for the US. He's been playing very well and terrorizing Ecuador's leftback. He also picked up an assist on the first goal. He's my MOTM after the first half.

EntireRadiantAmericanmarten.gif

I didn't realize he started at right midfield yesterday. I was assuming he was RB the entire time and wondering why he was so far out of position. Geez...makes me feel silly.

Back
Top Bottom