David Howells

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I started following Spurs in 1988 and David Howells was a constant in the team. I finally found this video of the Forest game in the league in 1990 which is surely one of the best individual performances in Spurs history to score twice and clear one of the line in the last few minutes!

When I played for our youth team (blatant!!) he was there. At the age of 15 or 16 he could run quite literally all day. He wasn't the most gifted of footballers, not a bad player by any means, just played everything simply and always committed. But by far and away his biggest asset was his fitness, as other players around him faded he was still putting in the runs. Always ended a game 10% above the level of everyone else.

We really must start putting *is not dead* in ex-Player Thread Titles in future...
What with 2016 being a bastard for it, my heart skipped a beat... not Howellsy??

Last edited:

Was there! (Blatant!)

BTW, having just watched this footage again, I was stunned by the Amazing Illusion whereby Howells MAGICALLY becomes Lineker... before our very eyes!
watch just after his equalising goal, on 3.45-3.47... follow Howells after he runs to the Spurs fans to celebrate... he turns, the camera goes with him... and PIFF-PAFF-PUFF he literally turns into Lineker! I shit you not... watch again!

We really must put *is not dead* in ex-Player Thread Titles in future...
with the year 2016 was for it, my heart skipped a beat... not Howellsy??
Totally agree, exact same reaction.
My Mrs asked me why I had a big smile on my face, I replied, because David Howells is still alive. To which she replied, you are fucking weird sometimes.

I remember he played a game for us on the same day his dad died. Unbelievable commitment to the club.

(I also was very worried he might have passed on when I saw this thread title. Would have been a horrible first scalp for 2017!)

Lot of people forget what was happening to his wife at the same time he was playing for us. There was never anything superficial about him.
Was it not during the shit fest of the Gross era when they went through the mill with her cancer and Gross binned him off on a free at the end of the season as he was not seen as performing ?

I will never forget how sad Howells looked that May Day when he was let go by Spurs and had to come collect some tin pot from someone as a way of "thanks" Seriously, guy deserved so much more.

As far as I can recall he really pissed off Ian Wright in one game so shd get a medal just for that!

:wansum:

Back
Top Bottom