Current Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I cant see Friedel getting a game in the league so why dont we just not register him for the league and play him in Europa and cups. That would help our foreign numbers.

I cant see Friedel getting a game in the league so why dont we just not register him for the league and play him in Europa and cups. That would help our foreign numbers.
Quite possible that it could work like that, personally I would register him for the league and give him 10-15 minutes of our last game as a little send off to one of the best keepers the Prem has seen

Their both guff in the air, Spammers would demolish us lol

That's possible, and Poch may roll with a more experienced option alongside Verts for the opener anyway, but the primary intention of Poch's tactics are to directly inhibit West Ham's style - the berating aerial attack. Let us hope that it doesn't even come to allowing our box to be attacked, regardless of the gents playing CB.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Mustacchio, Vertonghen, Davies, Capoue, Holtby, Lamela, Eriksen, Townsend, Soldado][/formation]

That's how I would start the first match of the season based on pre season etc.
Sandro - If he stays, this is the year he needs to prove himself
Paulinho - Again, if he stays, has a lot to prove
Dembele - High hopes that Poch will get him playing how we all want him to and would start if at his best.
Bentaleb - For me, I want to see him a regular starter by next season, our best young talent IMO*
Chadli - Will have a good season if he stays, a lot better than last season
Adebayor - I'm up for either him or Soldado starting, Just want Soldado to succeed more
Kane - He keeps impressing me and if he keeps it up could well be a regular starter this season

*Eriksen and Lamela not included as they're a little more seasoned to be in Bentaleb's bracket.

We actually have a good side this season, everyone has settled down and I think this can be an exciting season. We are predicted 7th by the media and other fans, we know our players are actually pretty good talentwise, therefore it is certainly possible for them to surprise us this season, in a good way. I don;t understand why so many players are been so quick to write off these players, they're the reason I'm excited.

Up front we have Emmanuel Adebayor, proven striker, I don't believe he is playing for a contract. Last summer he lost his brother, that coupled with the Togo shootings have, as they should have had a large impact on him. He was unfit and I don't believe AVB tapped into how motivated Ade is nowadays, I believe he still has the fire in his belly and a point to prove. 8/10

Soldado, last season he didn't get off to a good start, then his wife had a miscarriage, Sherwood came in and he and Ade had a good thing going until Sherwood changed to a 4-3-3 from a 4-4-2. The guy is good, excellent control on the ball just shy of confidence in front of goal, it can come and he can be great. 5.4/10

Attacking midfielders:
Lamela, we all know he has a point to prove and is showing it in pre-season, he has in the past shown the quality to demand a £30 million price tag and looks like he'll show us this season. 4/10

Lennon, I don't know about you guys but he has looked really full of energy, in the past we have seen him tracking back effectively and it is noted. However in pre-season Poch appears to have him buzzing around further up the pitch, using his pace to dart between players on the ball which will put pressure on them to make mistakes. While I still wouldn't start him he appears to (and I understand that it is early days) but a new lease of life under Poch with a new job in the team. 4.3/10

Holtby is fighting for a place in the team, he knows he isn't a dead cert to start, shown by his loan to Fulham, I think he is trying to impress us all that he actually has the quality we thought we'd bought when he came from Shalke. Now with Gylfi gone he'll get more of an opportunity. 4/10

Nacer Chadli, I never felt he got a fair run out last season, for a winger he's massive, hence why Tim decided to play him CM, in the right system he could be lethal, almost the opposite to Lamela over on the other side, so when/if they switched around in the game the full backs would be left in a right pickle. Still needs to show more but he has it in him. 5.6/10

The deep midfielders:
Sandro, has suffered from injury, I think he wants to show that he deserves his name the beast although I think we have forgotten just how good he was for us, myself included. I've gone back and seen him from a couple of seasons ago, working with the likes of Modric and Dembele he looked an amazingly useful player. However while my heart's choice is Sandro my head's is Capoue 6/10

Dembele, we all know he has plenty of talent, I want to see him against Shalke, an impressive player on his day but we know is day only comes about all too rarely. If he is able to get some sort of form going, pushing further up the pitch, spraying the ball out to Lamela and Lennon (or whoever is on the opposite wing) he could be a handful. I remember when he bossed the game, 3-1 against City when he was up against Yaya Toure. 6/10

Paulinho, had a miserable World Cup and an average first season, while some argue he flopped massively he contributed more goals than most and showed flashes of brilliance. Now he can either flop or become the player he bought, hopefully the latter although I'm unsure, I would start him because of the flair he has, some of his passing is exquisite and he runs his socks off, also brings more goals than Dembele. 6.4/10

Capoue, we never got to see much of Capoue last season, if you cast you mind back to his debut against Palace, he came on in the second half and by the end of the half had more interceptions than more than half the sides playing that weekend. He's huge, hence the 'Tank', I also believe he has more to give going forward than Sandro. We'd be very foolish to get rid of a player who finished second to Zlatan Ibrahimovic in Ligue 1 in their player rankings in 2012/13. 6/10

Defence
Kaboul showed us in 11/12 what he could do, and we all thought he was amazing, what has happened since? A huge injury and the loss of Ledley King, he is still very mobile and I would have him over Dawson any day. 5/10

Chiriches was actually very good for swathes last season, he picked up MOTM against United away and was phenomenal. Very skillful for a defender and error prone, but he is very Spursy, him with Kaboul are an amazing solid reserve pairing if we get Mussachio to partner Vertonghen. 6.5/10

Vertonghen also had a well bellow par season last time out, many of us thought he was saving himself for the World Cup and his performances in that competition suggest we were right in our assumption. If he plays like that or how he played in 2012/13 we have the makings of a very, very underrated (by other teams) defense. 6/10

Walker will want to hit the ground running, his injury was a big loss to the team and himself as it meant he missed out on the World Cup. Has all the attributes to make you get off your feat, him and Lamela could be deadly. 7.5/10

All the players listed have the ability to be 8/10s, all of them, well maybe not Lennon and Holtby, but the rest do. If they do become 8/10s, the join Eriksen and Lloris and we'd have a quality side. The fact that our squad is blessed with so much potential, so much untapped potential is something that makes me really look forward to the next season. Because of last year, everyone has written us off for this season, us included, 6/7th is where we expect we'll finish, but this is the position I was us to be in, dark horses, the outside choice. When other teams come we want them to be surprised about how good we are. Sure we're still expected to beat the lower teams but when the big clubs come, they need to be surprised as to how good we are.

Woolwich will likely come with a defence of Gibbs-Kosieclny-Mertesaker-Debuchy with a reserve of Chambers, Monreal... really is that it? Hmm, no Vermalen, no Djouru and they aren't linked with anyone.

Us: Davies-Vertonghen-Mussachio (hopefully) - Walker, with a reserve of Rose-Chiriches-Kaboul-Dier/Naughton

CM = Ramsey, Flameni vs Paulinho, Capoue pretty even due to Flameni's age and Paulinho's potential.

Sure they have an amazing attack, but a full firing Adebayor, backed up by Eriksen and Lamela, running on to flicks from Paulinho (All of this is based upon his flick to Soldado against Stoke and his goal against Cardiff)..... let us at 'em is all I say.

We actually have a good side this season, everyone has settled down and I think this can be an exciting season. We are predicted 7th by the media and other fans, we know our players are actually pretty good talentwise, therefore it is certainly possible for them to surprise us this season, in a good way. I don;t understand why so many players are been so quick to write off these players, they're the reason I'm excited.

Up front we have Emmanuel Adebayor, proven striker, I don't believe he is playing for a contract. Last summer he lost his brother, that coupled with the Togo shootings have, as they should have had a large impact on him. He was unfit and I don't believe AVB tapped into how motivated Ade is nowadays, I believe he still has the fire in his belly and a point to prove. 8/10

Soldado, last season he didn't get off to a good start, then his wife had a miscarriage, Sherwood came in and he and Ade had a good thing going until Sherwood changed to a 4-3-3 from a 4-4-2. The guy is good, excellent control on the ball just shy of confidence in front of goal, it can come and he can be great. 5.4/10

Attacking midfielders:
Lamela, we all know he has a point to prove and is showing it in pre-season, he has in the past shown the quality to demand a £30 million price tag and looks like he'll show us this season. 4/10

Lennon, I don't know about you guys but he has looked really full of energy, in the past we have seen him tracking back effectively and it is noted. However in pre-season Poch appears to have him buzzing around further up the pitch, using his pace to dart between players on the ball which will put pressure on them to make mistakes. While I still wouldn't start him he appears to (and I understand that it is early days) but a new lease of life under Poch with a new job in the team. 4.3/10

Holtby is fighting for a place in the team, he knows he isn't a dead cert to start, shown by his loan to Fulham, I think he is trying to impress us all that he actually has the quality we thought we'd bought when he came from Shalke. Now with Gylfi gone he'll get more of an opportunity. 4/10

Nacer Chadli, I never felt he got a fair run out last season, for a winger he's massive, hence why Tim decided to play him CM, in the right system he could be lethal, almost the opposite to Lamela over on the other side, so when/if they switched around in the game the full backs would be left in a right pickle. Still needs to show more but he has it in him. 5.6/10

The deep midfielders:
Sandro, has suffered from injury, I think he wants to show that he deserves his name the beast although I think we have forgotten just how good he was for us, myself included. I've gone back and seen him from a couple of seasons ago, working with the likes of Modric and Dembele he looked an amazingly useful player. However while my heart's choice is Sandro my head's is Capoue 6/10

Dembele, we all know he has plenty of talent, I want to see him against Shalke, an impressive player on his day but we know is day only comes about all too rarely. If he is able to get some sort of form going, pushing further up the pitch, spraying the ball out to Lamela and Lennon (or whoever is on the opposite wing) he could be a handful. I remember when he bossed the game, 3-1 against City when he was up against Yaya Toure. 6/10

Paulinho, had a miserable World Cup and an average first season, while some argue he flopped massively he contributed more goals than most and showed flashes of brilliance. Now he can either flop or become the player he bought, hopefully the latter although I'm unsure, I would start him because of the flair he has, some of his passing is exquisite and he runs his socks off, also brings more goals than Dembele. 6.4/10

Capoue, we never got to see much of Capoue last season, if you cast you mind back to his debut against Palace, he came on in the second half and by the end of the half had more interceptions than more than half the sides playing that weekend. He's huge, hence the 'Tank', I also believe he has more to give going forward than Sandro. We'd be very foolish to get rid of a player who finished second to Zlatan Ibrahimovic in Ligue 1 in their player rankings in 2012/13. 6/10

Defence
Kaboul showed us in 11/12 what he could do, and we all thought he was amazing, what has happened since? A huge injury and the loss of Ledley King, he is still very mobile and I would have him over Dawson any day. 5/10

Chiriches was actually very good for swathes last season, he picked up MOTM against United away and was phenomenal. Very skillful for a defender and error prone, but he is very Spursy, him with Kaboul are an amazing solid reserve pairing if we get Mussachio to partner Vertonghen. 6.5/10

Vertonghen also had a well bellow par season last time out, many of us thought he was saving himself for the World Cup and his performances in that competition suggest we were right in our assumption. If he plays like that or how he played in 2012/13 we have the makings of a very, very underrated (by other teams) defense. 6/10

Walker will want to hit the ground running, his injury was a big loss to the team and himself as it meant he missed out on the World Cup. Has all the attributes to make you get off your feat, him and Lamela could be deadly. 7.5/10

All the players listed have the ability to be 8/10s, all of them, well maybe not Lennon and Holtby, but the rest do. If they do become 8/10s, the join Eriksen and Lloris and we'd have a quality side. The fact that our squad is blessed with so much potential, so much untapped potential is something that makes me really look forward to the next season. Because of last year, everyone has written us off for this season, us included, 6/7th is where we expect we'll finish, but this is the position I was us to be in, dark horses, the outside choice. When other teams come we want them to be surprised about how good we are. Sure we're still expected to beat the lower teams but when the big clubs come, they need to be surprised as to how good we are.

Woolwich will likely come with a defence of Gibbs-Kosieclny-Mertesaker-Debuchy with a reserve of Chambers, Monreal... really is that it? Hmm, no Vermalen, no Djouru and they aren't linked with anyone.

Us: Davies-Vertonghen-Mussachio (hopefully) - Walker, with a reserve of Rose-Chiriches-Kaboul-Dier/Naughton

CM = Ramsey, Flameni vs Paulinho, Capoue pretty even due to Flameni's age and Paulinho's potential.

Sure they have an amazing attack, but a full firing Adebayor, backed up by Eriksen and Lamela, running on to flicks from Paulinho (All of this is based upon his flick to Soldado against Stoke and his goal against Cardiff)..... let us at 'em is all I say.

Agree with most of that. Good read. I think we'll see a lot from fringe players and youth this season too. Not a Lennon fan in recent seasons but his pre-season seems to indicate he is being utilised correctly again and could be a major player for us again.

Keepers - Lloris, Vorm, Friedal
Full Backs - Walker*, Fredricks (U), Davies (U), Rose*, Fryers*
Centre Backs - Vertonghen, Musacchio, Chrichiles, Kaboul Dier (U)
Deep Midfield - Schniederlin*, Capoue, Bentaleb (U), Dembele Paulinhio, Mason*
Attacking Midfield - Lamela, Eriksen, Rodrigurez*, Townsend* , Lennon*, Holtby
Strikers - Adeybeyor, Kane (U), Soldado

Archer, Yedlin, Velkjovic, Carroll all out on Loan.

U - Under 21 - 5
* - Homegrown - 8
International - 15

U - Under 21 - 5
* - Homegrown - 8
International - 15
Are you implying we get rid of Chadli, Dawson and Naughton?

U - Under 21 - 5
* - Homegrown - 8
International - 15
:paulinhowtf:

Didn't know we had this thread until now. Just caught up on the discussion. About Ceballos, wasn't he on loan in Portugal this past year? That entire period would not count toward his homegrown time so I don't think he can be considered a home grown player at this point.

Back
Top Bottom