CSKA v Tottenham Hotspur - Champions League 27th Sept 2016 - 19-45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm going to the CSKA game, hopefully it's not too cold in December...
You'll love it mate. Result aside, Monaco was a special night. It was amazing to be a part of seeing so many of us in one place. If we push on from Citeh, like we did last year, the atmosphere in the stadium should also be better as the micro dicks should be move confident.

Still showing as sold out for CSKA...which will teach me not to dither. The only group game my lad can get down to London for. Can only hope that areas mysteriously become available like they did v Monaco

:klinsmann:

Pretty sure it's agreed. Capped at 50k or something though.
it is an "option" at this point. From reports it appears to be contingent on the successful completion of the UCL season. Almost like this year is a preview. I would expect to see some negotiation on how many full capacity games there are allowed but most games in our season away will be at a 50k Wembley.

it is an "option" at this point. From reports it appears to be contingent on the successful completion of the UCL season. Almost like this year is a preview. I would expect to see some negotiation on how many full capacity games there are allowed but most games in our season away will be at a 50k Wembley.

What's the logic behind capping attendance at 50k? I assume Wembley would get a portion of proceeds wouldn't they want as many in attendance as possible?

What's the logic behind capping attendance at 50k? I assume Wembley would get a portion of proceeds wouldn't they want as many in attendance as possible?
Wembley is bound by local council regulations which limit the number of "full capacity" events the stadium is allowed to hold in each calendar year. This covers the various finals and internationals which are there every year, with then probably about 10 "spare" slots, for things such as concerts, boxing, and other football games (10 is a complete guess, just using it to make the point). This year , they have agreed to give us a number of these slots for our CL games, presumably for a hefty fee. But if we are playing all our home games there next year, there simply aren't enough slots for them to open up the whole ground every time, regardless of how much we're willing to pay them.

I would expect that all our home games would be capped at 60k (i.e. top tier closed), and perhaps we will be able to negotiate having the full stadium open for the NLD and our CL games again, if we qualify. There's no way we'd sell 90,000 for Sunderland at home, for example, so opening it is a waste. I'd prefer 60,000 people in the bottom 60,000 seats than 70,000 people spread over 90,000 seats. The atmosphere will be far better.

Wembley is bound by local council regulations which limit the number of "full capacity" events the stadium is allowed to hold in each calendar year. This covers the various finals and internationals which are there every year, with then probably about 10 "spare" slots, for things such as concerts, boxing, and other football games (10 is a complete guess, just using it to make the point). This year , they have agreed to give us a number of these slots for our CL games, presumably for a hefty fee. But if we are playing all our home games there next year, there simply aren't enough slots for them to open up the whole ground every time, regardless of how much we're willing to pay them.

I would expect that all our home games would be capped at 60k (i.e. top tier closed), and perhaps we will be able to negotiate having the full stadium open for the NLD and our CL games again, if we qualify. There's no way we'd sell 90,000 for Sunderland at home, for example, so opening it is a waste. I'd prefer 60,000 people in the bottom 60,000 seats than 70,000 people spread over 90,000 seats. The atmosphere will be far better.

That makes sense. Good point about the atmosphere. Would look very Olympic Stadium if it was opened up for less desired fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom