Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's gotten tougher. With a bit more defensive positional awareness I think he can do a top job as a Modricesque CM in the years to come. Personally I think he might have a higher potential in a creative, playmaker CM role than as an AM.

I certainly never invisioned Christian playing in CM over his first two seasons. He was easily ahead of Holtby and Siggy as our best number 10. Now after just over a season and a half under Poch he seems so similar to modric, defensively with his constant terrier like persistence and niggling tackles and his ability to always find time and space. I can really start seeing him as the main clog in the team to dictate the pace of games in a similar way Luka did for us.

Also with Dembele, Alli and Mason to name a few, I think the spot behind Kane has plenty of good options.

You have to remember that Eriksen never played as #10 for Ajax, but always as an #8 next to Siem De Jong with a holding midfielder behind him. Different team, system and league of course, but he's used to playing deeper.

This weekend Lamela was rightly praised for being aggressive, dynamic and hard working.

That's not a problem because it is true. What keeps astonishing me is that Eriksen is not.

Just a bit from F365 Winners and Losers:

Christian Eriksen
Scored in a Premier League game for just the fourth time this season, but Eriksen was back to his buzzing best against Bournemouth, creating four chances. The Dane’s reputation is slightly divisive among Tottenham supporters (although only between ‘good’ and ‘excellent’), but it’s worth noting that only Mesut Ozil has created more chances in the Premier League this season.

That’s even more impressive when you consider the work Eriksen gets through. Against Bournemouth on Sunday, Eriksen covered more ground than any other Tottenham player, sprinting 61 times; that’s nothing new. This is a player who has started 18 matches since the turn of the year.

Christian Eriksen
When Eden Hazard was named PFA Player of the Year last season, he contributed 23 goals and assists, and created a chance every 33.5 minutes. So far this season, Eriksen has contributed 16 goals and assists, and created a chance every 24.4 minutes. He also works harder, runs further and presses more. Eriksen is not perfect, but he’s the closest the Premier League has to an all-action playmaker sculpted in Mauricio Pochettino’s own vision.

Perhaps it is because he was spotted as an immense potential talent at such a young age at Ajax (although Sarah Winterburn says it’s because he’s balding), but Eriksen’s comparable youth is often overlooked. Never mind the main gong, he’s still eligible for the Young Player of the Year award.

Premier League winners and losers - Football365

Love Eriksen. With so many other great players in the side, and the fact that he doesn't have to bail us out of trouble in the last minute these days, it's like he's been overlooked slightly.

(Not to mention that he has a dry sense of humour and so doesn't provide the #banter of Alli and Dier to keep us entertained between games)

Feels so good to have an array of top players rather than an individual star we'll shit ourselves over losing in the summer.

Now please let this long-rumoured contract extension finally happen.

Outfield performance is improving, keeps the ball ticking over wonderfully.

Some of his corners and freekicks have been off a bit this season but if Lamela is now stepping in that solves that.

Thing is Eriksen, Lamela and Alli are still very young, a lot more to come from that attacking trio.

On a side note I do sometimes feel more pace next to them will help Eriksen and Lamela. Guess that's why we signed Clinton Niji to offer a through runner. A Walcott with a brain would complete the attacking balance of this team, let's hope Clinton becomes that or we sign someone like that.

I must say that a lot of the times Eriksen is quiet and goes unnoticed, due to the focus on other players and the fact that he still has trouble finding some kind of consistency. But last few games i've been paying more attention to him and i think that i expect too much, i expect him to be some kind of synergy between Zidane, Modric and Silva and that isnt really fair. He offers a lot in movement and passing, has learned to battle and press his way to possession and he's always looking to create.

By that i ment him being the all round attacking midfielder who knows how to press and dictate the pace of a game, i wanted him to be that good and always judged him too harshly (obviously)

To be honest I always saw Eriksen as the replacement for VDV, never expected him to run as much or press as much as he actually does. Things VDV never did.

I remember in the early days of Pochettino at Spurs there was a lot of discussion about how Eriksen could fall foul to Pochettino's intensive pressing game. Much like Gaston Ramierz did at Southampton. I think it's safe to say Eriksen has proven the doubters wrong?

I certainly never invisioned Christian playing in CM over his first two seasons. He was easily ahead of Holtby and Siggy as our best number 10. Now after just over a season and a half under Poch he seems so similar to modric, defensively with his constant terrier like persistence and niggling tackles and his ability to always find time and space. I can really start seeing him as the main clog in the team to dictate the pace of games in a similar way Luka did for us.

Also with Dembele, Alli and Mason to name a few, I think the spot behind Kane has plenty of good options.

...wow, a blast from the past that wasn't even that long ago!
Seems like a totally different era now...
:gylfi::avbshit:

The stupid thing is that I didn't think Christian Eriksen had a great game yesterday, but then you look at the critical moments, and he is so heavily involved. The guy is a little genius. His work rate is immense and he just keeps going. Some of his passes were just too delicious.

Back
Top Bottom