Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kudos to Eriksen. Aside from his excellent contributions today, and in general recently, I think his free kicks were looking much improved (even though he didn't manage to beat Fabianski).

I've been critical of his set piece taking in recent months, but it looks like he's getting back to his best as a bloody dangerous direct free kick taker - great to see.

The way he is dropping deeper and picking out that forward pass into dangerous areas reminds me of Modric. He's been absolutely fantastic recently.

The way he is dropping deeper and picking out that forward pass into dangerous areas reminds me of Modric. He's been absolutely fantastic recently.
He almost certainly played his deepest today. It wasn't quite coming off for him in the first half. His passing was inconsistent and he often tried impossible passes that just didn't come off. Second half though, he was a different animal. He and Dier worked excellently in central midfield, he was playing some great passes and his set pieces even improved. All that was missing from him today was a goal.

Man of the match.

I think that Poch dropping him back after the first 20 minutes was a really excellent idea. Eriksen wasn't doing particularly well and neither was Alli. Swap them and give them some time and it looked like we could have put 10 past if Fabianski hadn't had his best day on a football pitch.

I think that Poch dropping him back after the first 20 minutes was a really excellent idea. Eriksen wasn't doing particularly well and neither was Alli. Swap them and give them some time and it looked like we could have put 10 past if Fabianski hadn't had his best day on a football pitch.

Between Eriksen and Alli, Eriksen should definately be the most deep lying one.

I'm starting to second guess myself with how impressed everyone is with how he played there yesterday but I think I prefer Mason & Dier CM, and sacrifice Son to put Eriksen in the 3 behind the striker.

I'm starting to second guess myself with how impressed everyone is with how he played there yesterday but I think I prefer Mason & Dier CM, and sacrifice Son to put Eriksen in the 3 behind the striker.

Eriksen seemed to leave the midfield a bit to often occasinally. A couple of times he was really very badly positioned for a CM when they had the ball.

But he hasn't had much time there. I'm not convinced he'll ever be able to adequately deal with the defensive responsibilities of the position, but I'm definately not going to pass judgement on his ability to play the position after one game.

I was really excited to see him played there though, as it's something I've been thinking might work brilliantly when we dominate games. Hope he'll get more chances there.

He almost certainly played his deepest today. It wasn't quite coming off for him in the first half. His passing was inconsistent and he often tried impossible passes that just didn't come off. Second half though, he was a different animal. He and Dier worked excellently in central midfield, he was playing some great passes and his set pieces even improved. All that was missing from him today was a goal.

Man of the match.

Eriksen was working his ass off. 6 interceptions playing in the deeper roll. Looked pretty good defensively for a guy who's been known to shy away from a tackle.

Major props to Dier for really holding it down.

Eriksen was working his ass off. 6 interceptions playing in the deeper roll. Looked pretty good defensively for a guy who's been known to shy away from a tackle.

Major props to Dier for really holding it down.

He's gotten tougher. With a bit more defensive positional awareness I think he can do a top job as a Modricesque CM in the years to come. Personally I think he might have a higher potential in a creative, playmaker CM role than as an AM.

Eriksen gets much more joy in a deeper position against teams that sit back and it's better for the overall play aswell. I recognise the defensive worries, but the way he picks passes and dictates the tempo does us so much good against a parked bus.

Away and against top sides he should play further forward of course, where he can be picked out in space and do the damage from there.

I believe he played a deeper central midfield role in the away game at Watford when he come off the bench in the second half and he was also pretty impressive in that game too.

Wasn't Eriksen under scrutiny also last season, when Poch first arrived? Lots were questioning if he would fit into the system and be a Pochettino type player. Cue playing a deeper role against the Woolwich at the Deathstar and he pretty much cemented himself into the system and team.

I think the key to Eriksen working in a deeper role is having him paired with an anchor who is less likely to go wandering forward, and is able to compensate when Eriksen (quite rightly) does.

Luckily, we have Eric Dier.

Back
Top Bottom