Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Chadli is not a left winger - hence the weak link. Same goes for Lamela's form.

Eriksen is not the problem - our wide players' return is terrible for the system Poch is trying to implement - that's a major issue. Players like Sanchez and Hazard are the benchmark for those positions - granted we cannot afford such quality but a natural left-sided player would be a start. Dare I say Podolski?

No, no.. I agree. I haven't watched much of Poch's Southampton, but never seemed to me that J-Rod was really an out and out left winger either but was often deployed there. Hence why I think Poch would (and to be fair, has so far at least) find Chadli useful.

I think Eriksen plays MUCH further forward than Modric and as such, isn't suited to a central two, unless we're at home against a lower league team and can afford all out attack.
Even simple stats would show they play different roles. Eriksen is about goals and assists. Modric was the assist of the assist. Different animals.
Actually, he's a bit broader skilled than that, he doesn't have many assist so far, but he's average over 2 key passes a game, and if you look deeper at his role, it's pretty clear he's the most important person for us in attack:
http://statsbomb.com/2014/10/attacking-contribution-metric-and-man-uniteds-reliance-on-di-maria/
The article is now a couple of months old, but I doubt his influence has really diminished.

He's also throwing in a couple of tackles, an interception and a blocked pass per game on the defensive side on average, and his distance covered against Everton for example, was only about 300 metres less than Kane's monster 13km effort.

He's not a DM, but he's a lot more involved in the press now than he was a month and a half ago, and we don't really notice it.

I don't know if he will ever be really a Modric-type player, as he comes forward more and likes to score. But he did drop deep against Hull and run the show, so it's in him if you ask for it.

That said, Eriksen isn't Modric, and Pochettino isn't Redknapp. We may find that we'll be in a different place that works fine on its own.

No, no.. I agree. I haven't watched much of Poch's Southampton, but never seemed to me that J-Rod was really an out and out left winger either but was often deployed there. Hence why I think Poch would (and to be fair, has so far at least) find Chadli useful.
Pochettino used the LW as a second striker at Soton. He was definitely using Chadli the same way as J-Rod, at least a month or so ago. Things seem to have changed a bit lately.

"“For me it’s better to come off the left wing and get into a central position when we have a cross because I can finish it off" - Nacer Chadli - August 2014.
I can claim to have a better shot than Bale - doesn't mean Spurs will sign me up. The above statement can be technically true if he said 'right side' btw.

He's predictable because defenders know he'll always cut in, etc. while the technical ability is average at best. We need a natural left sided player, imv - Chadli can remain as a versatile attacking option, no issue.

There is a difference between a winger and an inside forward. But both can operate the same area.

Nacer Chadli is a left inside forward.

Andros Townsend is a left winger.

I know what Aberdeen's getting at though, the guy who operates that role should be comfortable in that part of the pitch and I'd like to see Chadli there. Not sure I could stomach dropping Eriksen though. Even if he's not great in games, he's influential and in our squad that is paramount. Not dropping 7 league goals from this side.

I don't agree Eriksen can play the Modric role. They're two completely different positions, Modric dictates the play when he has his entire team ahead of him. Eriksen on the other hand is around and in the box trying to be much more involved in the goals.

I also don't agree though that Eriksen can't play left midfield. His defending down the left has come on hugely and I think he's becoming very successful there. Sure he's drifting out of games at times but people are wearing some extremely rose tinted glasses if they think he didn't when he was played in the number 10 role. He's an extremely talented player but I don't think playing him behind the striker will immediately get the best out of him.

Last edited:
Chadli is a fine player on the left side and I believe that that is where he's best at, he thinks so himself like Aberdeen quoted above. He is a very similar type of player to Bale in that he gets in the box late is a very good finisher. That's how he gets his goals. Playing him at striker would probably be the equivalent to playing Bale up there. It just won't work.

Some of you people are impossible to please though. You want wingers that run up and down the byline and swing in crosses but then complain about how we never get enough goals from midfield. Chadli goes ahead and scores more goals than anybody on the team from the wing position before he gets injured but he's not good enough on the left wing for some of you apparently. As for those that think that Eriksen can play deeper, I think you're crazy. He's not a good tackler, doesn't work overly hard, and likes to get in and around the box to score. Modric was a much different player.

As for those that think that Eriksen can play deeper, I think you're crazy. He's not a good tackler, doesn't work overly hard, and likes to get in and around the box to score. Modric was a much different player.

How can you say that? How well do you know Eriksen?
He's always been playing deeper. With great success as well. In the dutch league and CL.

You don't need to be a good tackler to play deep, especially if you're playing next to a real DM. You need intelligence and stamina. He's got it. Pirlo isn't a good tackler. Modric isn't.

"Doesn't work overly hard"... You're clueless.

Chadli is a fine player on the left side and I believe that that is where he's best at, he thinks so himself like Aberdeen quoted above. He is a very similar type of player to Bale in that he gets in the box late is a very good finisher. That's how he gets his goals. Playing him at striker would probably be the equivalent to playing Bale up there. It just won't work.

Some of you people are impossible to please though. You want wingers that run up and down the byline and swing in crosses but then complain about how we never get enough goals from midfield. Chadli goes ahead and scores more goals than anybody on the team from the wing position before he gets injured but he's not good enough on the left wing for some of you apparently. As for those that think that Eriksen can play deeper, I think you're crazy. He's not a good tackler, doesn't work overly hard, and likes to get in and around the box to score. Modric was a much different player.
Agree completely with the Chadli part ... But I disagree with your Eriksen part ... in regards that I think that he can play deeper. And respectfully, I think you got it wrong about Eriksen's work-rate too.

Are you Belgian by any chance?

As for your Eriksen description, especially in terms of work-rate - are you sure you've been watching Spurs games the last 18 months - with all due respect?

Last edited:
Eriksen plays well in a role where he's allowed to roam around wherever. He was at his best under Tim last season when he had a very free role and his form has hit a decided uptick in the last few weeks since Poch has taken the reins off him. He'll never be a good defensive player or tackler but he can press a bit and he's too dynamic offensively to take off the pitch.

The key with Eriksen (and all other players) is designing a system to display their strengths and hide their faults. The last few weeks Eriksen has played next to a real worker like Kane and in front of a more cautious fullback in Davies. I like Rose a lot more than most but there is no doubt that Eriksen and Davies make a better defensive pairing on the left due to Davies being a more reserved fullback. They were very impressive in containing Coleman and Everton on their flank which I found very pleasantly surprising.

IMO, yesterday's mistake was not Eriksen but instead not sacrificing Soldado for another CM. Swansea will always flood the middle and pass the ball incredibly well. Leaving Bentaleb and Mason—who are both adequate but not great ball winners—in 2 v 3 situations in the center of pitch made it very difficult on those two. No coincidence that once we brought Dembele on and went to a more natural three in the center that we got a better foothold in the game within the next 10 minutes.

Dare I say Podolski?
Calls everyone Woolwich troll's then recommends Podolscunt :ade:

I can claim to have a better shot than Bale - doesn't mean Spurs will sign me up. The above statement can be technically true if he said 'right side' btw.
He is saying that he feels more comfortable doing that, he isn't claiming that he is the best at it... I think you misinterpreted what he was getting at with the statement. Surely you cant argue against someone just stating what they feel most comfortable doing?

Finals week is killing me so I haven't been on much. I should probably be studying for my biochem final in an hour than on here too... But oh well.

Maybe I'm wrong about Eriksen, I probably don't give him enough credit for his work rate, I just think he's best deployed further forward. A player like him that can score and create as well as he can should be behind a striker and around the box as much as possible IMO. He's like a more mobile and harder working VDV. My comment was mainly addressing people talking about Chadli, I didn't give the Eriksen part much thought and it came out much more extreme than I intended. I think he can play deeper, I just don't think he's best there.

Are you Belgian by any chance?
Not Belgian and I have watched almost every single spurs game in the past 18 months.

How can you say that? How well do you know Eriksen?
He's always been playing deeper. With great success as well. In the dutch league and CL.

You don't need to be a good tackler to play deep, especially if you're playing next to a real DM. You need intelligence and stamina. He's got it. Pirlo isn't a good tackler. Modric isn't.

"Doesn't work overly hard"... You're clueless.
The last statement is a bit harsh mate. He isn't the hardest worker we've got. I don't know how you'd conclude that I'm clueless from one statement. Anyways Modric isn't a bad tackler, he's surely better than Eriksen. He's also pretty smart playing deeper and reads play decently. He does have about 1.5 tackles and interceptions a game for Madrid this season. And Pirlo is an exception. Conte designed an entire team around him and played two huge box to box mids with him in Pogba and Vidal to make up for Pirlo's defense.

The last statement is a bit harsh mate. He isn't the hardest worker we've got. I don't know how you'd conclude that I'm clueless from one statement. Anyways Modric isn't a bad tackler, he's surely better than Eriksen. He's also pretty smart playing deeper and reads play decently. He does have about 1.5 tackles and interceptions a game for Madrid this season. And Pirlo is an exception. Conte designed an entire team around him and played two huge box to box mids with him in Pogba and Vidal to make up for Pirlo's defense.

I'll bet he covers the most distance. Perhaps Kane is a competitor now. Eriksen covered 8.01m against Newcastle.
Oh and Eriksen isn't smart? Good on Modric with 1,5 tackles, but Eriksen avgs. 1,8.

I'll bet he covers the most distance. Perhaps Kane is a competitor now. Eriksen covered 8.01m against Newcastle.
Oh and Eriksen isn't smart? Good on Modric with 1,5 tackles, but Eriksen avgs. 1,8.

Spot on, eh:pochsmirk:

Those numbers from Kane are incredible. Definition of working your balls off. IMO since his introduction to the starting lineup our mentality and commitment as a team have improved massively. Leading by example.

Back
Top Bottom