Upgrading the forum

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone figure out how to select a smiley on an iPad? Just goes to the top of the screen when you click on one

Anyone figure out how to select a smiley on an iPad? Just goes to the top of the screen when you click on one

Smilies won't work on some mobiles/tablets.

Blame TinyMCE and Apple.

"We also added detection logic for iPhone/iPad so that TinyMCE doesn't get initialized on these devices. It's currently impossible for us to add iPhone/iPad support since WebKit on these devices lacks any for of caret within contentEditable areas"

You just have to use the smiley code.

"We also added detection logic for iPhone/iPad so that TinyMCE doesn't get initialized on these devices. It's currently impossible for us to add iPhone/iPad support since WebKit on these devices lacks any for of caret within contentEditable areas"

I quite literally didn't understand any of this.

You just have to use the smiley code.

This I worked out for myself.

:cudicini:

There remain a few tweaks I might suggest, but I surely think I don't like that each thread has an avatar beside it of the thread's originator. The OP seems to be a pretty useless bit of information after a while (save on match threads), so it seems like useless clutter.

In the same way, the mini avatar telling me I've posted in a thread seems dumb, too. Why should I be reminded that I participated in a thread?! It's not likely that I'll read a thread, say to myself, "oh I have to reply when I have time" and then return to the thread lists and forget which thread it is because I don't have a mini avatar.

It strikes me that that area of real estate would be better served with the avatar of the most recent poster. That way, when I see the avatar of Thelonious Thelonious , I know he's dropped some science, and I should rush to read it. But when I see @Case's abs, I know it's just "I run shit" bla bla, so I don't have to hurry to read.

Also, the responsive site is great, but the textbox on the iPhone is still wider than the screen, making proof reading posts a bit of a chore.

didn+t+read+lol+_58430b51d57d1814e7adaf35f7d87e64.gif

There remain a few tweaks I might suggest, but I surely think I don't like that each thread has an avatar beside it of the thread's originator. The OP seems to be a pretty useless bit of information after a while (save on match threads), so it seems like useless clutter.

In the same way, the mini avatar telling me I've posted in a thread seems dumb, too. Why should I be reminded that I participated in a thread?! It's not likely that I'll read a thread, say to myself, "oh I have to reply when I have time" and then return to the thread lists and forget which thread it is because I don't have a mini avatar.

It strikes me that that area of real estate would be better served with the avatar of the most recent poster. That way, when I see the avatar of Thelonious Thelonious , I know he's dropped some science, and I should rush to read it. But when I see @Case's abs, I know it's just "I run shit" bla bla, so I don't have to hurry to read.

Also, the responsive site is great, but the textbox on the iPhone is still wider than the screen, making proof reading posts a bit of a chore.
Maybe you should design a new site?

Personally I quite like the little AV. I'm busy during the day and don't always remember the threads I post in, so it's handy to have that little reminder IMO.

The only additional avatar I would like would be a small one of Sammyspurs so I know which threads to go in to argue with him. :adegrin:

Maybe you should design a new site?
Don't fucking spoil the surprise, now, eh? :disdain:

The problem with the little avatar is that it just means that, at some point, you posted in the thread. I know you, Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon . Posting once in a thread is not your style; you're not a drive-by poster. So what's the point of the little avatar telling you that, three months ago, you posted in the transfer thread? Of course you did. If it showed "recent post" by you, like within the day, or among the last 20 posts, then that would be one thing, but I don't think it's volatile. I think once it's there, it's there. Of course... I could be wrong.

As for knowing when to go get rousty with sammyspurs sammyspurs , you're making my point for me. The avatar only tells you which threads Sammy starts (like the Chelsea match thread), not in which threads he's running his mouth, looking for a fight. The two most drawn out arguments I've had on this forum were in threads neither I nor most of my interlocutors started. Because threads here tend to run long, the OP (again) is not a terribly important thing to know. Who cares who started the animgif thread? Who cares who started the FIFA13 thread? etc.

It's much more interesting to me to see who's rapping in a thread—who has the most recent post, who has many of the recent posts, etc., so that I can get a sense of the thread from a glance. Seeing @case's avatar on each podcast episode thread, for example, tells me nothing about the level of discourse going on in the thread.

FNPEx.png
Oh, I got PAR'D!

Dont listen to Eperons , i quite like the little avatar reminding me that i posted somewhere
I guess it's something that seems useless to a (usually) high-volume poster like me. I wonder who the first person will be to upload a screenshot where their mini-avatar is in every single thread. SanDiegoYiddo SanDiegoYiddo ?

Not much makes me come down from my perch at the top, but I have to say, I love the new forum.
Straight from the Politburo cookbook.

Well, if anything, it's more likely to happen during UK twilight hours. I wonder how much load the (extra) images (would) add to the server though.
That's my point, though! I've managed to have the most recent thread in every sub-forum, and SanDiegoYiddo SanDiegoYiddo repeated the achievement a few weeks ago, iirc.

But now, since the mini-avatar shows up just if you posted in the thread at some point since the new software was put in place, we'll likely quickly have situations where for high-volume posters, their mini-avatar will appear on every thread. I think, at that point, the use-value of the mini-avatar will be revealed as zero. JUST YOU ALL WAIT!

I've started subconsciously avoiding threads where the OP has no avatar, figuring they're just newb posts. I didn't used to do that. I used to read everything in the Spurs sub-forum. And frequently great threads emerge out of a newb's post, so wtf. I just want to :vdvcry: a bit. Then I'll console myself by the fire.

Back
Top Bottom