Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dread the day Adebayor walks the team out in a game. it'll happen sooner or later as Kaboul's made of crisps. makes me sick thinking about him leading us out.

Would have preferred Lloris probably but Kaboul's a fine pick. Southampton's club captain was a goalie who has made under ten appearances since Southampton returned to the top flight, so I don't think it guarantees Kaboul a starting spot like some are worrying about. Glad Vertonghen doesn't figure into this at all. His behavior on the pitch under both AVB and Sherwood was childish and while I can somewhat understand his frustration at being played out of position and having to deal with Sherwood it isn't in keeping with how a professional let alone a captain should behave. Plus, his agent is already making noises about him leaving this summer.

Overall, out team isn't really full of a lot of suitable captain like figures which is part of our problem. Lloris and Kaboul will probably end up functionally splitting the band and that's fine with me.

In this case, I'll trust Poch's decision. We're not privy to the training ground or changing room, so none of us can really tell how the players' personalities coalesce. Or who can give the others a good kick up the arse when needed.

I'm just hoping that this isn't making the easy decision rather than the one that's best. In a transfer window where Poch had the balls to cut Dawson loose, it'd seem strange to make the club captain a player who was (seemingly) rather far down his list of preferred defenders.

Think the fact that Kaboul has started nigh on every game speaks volumes, still think he can regain that form, at least he's gone a couple of months without injury. As has been said we don't know how it goes in the changing rooms but my assumption would be that our three captains are the most vocal and experienced and that's not a bad thing.

People always talk about these things like its a duty they have for the 90 minutes they're on the pitch. Theres all sorts of shit the "club captain" does behind the scenes. Kabouls been around for a while now so it makes sense, but chances are Lloris is going to play more games than Kaboul.

Let the PL squad elect their captian themselves. Works for SC Freiburg in the German Bundesliga. It doesn't make that much difference who's captian anymore.

Talk about over-egging the pudding! A captain and vice-captain is more than adequate - if for some reason neither are available, then appoint the most senior player who is playing for that one game. Although I don't think Kaboul is 'on fire' yet, think his commitment is commendable and a good choice for skipper, as my preference would always be an outfield player (albeit if any goalie can do a great job, it would be Hugo).

Lloris was my preferred choice, but I'm fine with Kaboul being the main one (due to the things already mentioned above). But the part I found most interesting was ... Ade also being a vice captain ... And I actually really like that idea. He's clearly a big figure in the squad, and the players seem to have a good rapport with him too.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the Poch selections.
Kaboul has been leading us for a while now, as there is no real reason to drop him (as captain) - we should not.
If form and fitness allow him to play all good. This keeps the dressing room in check.
If YK is injured or drops form than most likely Lloris will be captain and Ade as VC on the field will remain motivated.
Seems like we have a maturing THFC.

Talk about over-egging the pudding! A captain and vice-captain is more than adequate

You want as many players as possible to behave like they are the captain - I think Pochettino has made quite a shrewd move as all three will be Captain at different times this season and when they all play they should all feel some responsibility to step up.

Motivating Adebayor is the key to a decent season......last year we had to sack a manager to get him fired up

Back
Top Bottom