Brum or Leeds, Who do you want to win tonight?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Of being one of the worst posters ever seen on a Spurs forum, shitting on every thread, poncing meaningless and fatuous opinions and people thinking he's a cunt...I'm sure there's more than a few posters thinking that might apply to you too.
Hmm
I wonder why you would make a post like that?

let me think about that

I was listing some of the things you said you weren't guilty off and stating that you may indeed be guilty of them yourself.

In fact I've lost count of the number of threads that have descended into a slanging match between you and some other poster.

I get the impression that you think that you are somehow the guardian of this forum, pouncing on whoever assaults your perceived standards of decency and football knowledge.

There is an issue here I'd like to address.

You (rightly) point out that 'hate' is very much an extreme and, without good reason, shouldn't really be bandied about. However, people do use the word with regularity and often in place other words that would express a dislike without going to such an extreme, but this is what people do so it's best to try and see past it.

You then go on to label people 'plastic supporters' due to your own definition of what that means. Much like the word 'hate' being used in the wrong context, I (and due to the responses you receive, a few others) feel that a 'plastic supporter' has a different connotation. To my mind, a plastic is a fake fan, one who claims to be a Tottenham Hotspur supporter but doesn't actually follow the team or watch the games or involve themselves emotionally in any way whatsoever.
A supporter would be someone who supports the club either vocally and financially by going to games, or just financially by buying the merchandise.
I consider myself a fan for I am fanatical about Spurs (hence me spending more time than is necessary on Spurs forums). I don't get to go to games anymore, nor do I spend lots of money on official stuff, but the fact I go looking for dodgy streams on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon, sit at my PC with my heart racing as we cling on to a slender lead, and go through all the emotional shit that comes with supporting Spurs and have it affect how I go about my day, make me more than a plastic...by my definition.

couldn't agree with you more - because I'm in the same boat as you - mine is because of my work and when I get time at home, my family comes first - and football isn't the only hobby or pasttime I have surrendered because of that.

That isn't what I was trying to say - plastic to me is a non contributory fan - as opposed to a die hard supporter who stands/sits in the ground supporting the club, hail or shine, home or away - to the best of their ability. Being stuck thousands of miles away prevents people from being real supporters, but that is their issue - if you want the justification of being a true fan, find a club close by and support them.

The thing that really fucks up the whole dynamic is the modern breed of supporter, who has the money and a season ticket and goes to the ground and spend the whole game whining and complaining.

What people need to do is to stop getting the arseholes with me - on the basis that they are feeling hurt because they live too far from the ground to be a supporter, I'm not insulting you personally, or demeaning YOUR level of support, I'm just saying that you're not a proper supporter - but not that are not a die hard, committed and passionate fan.

At least you are supporting a team in your own country.

I was listing some of the things you said you weren't guilty off and stating that you may indeed be guilty of them yourself.

In fact I've lost count of the number of threads that have descended into a slanging match between you and some other poster.

I get the impression that you think that you are somehow the guardian of this forum, pouncing on whoever assaults your perceived standards of decency and football knowledge.
then you would be wrong about that as well.

I love Tottenham Hotspur and I love talking about the club, and where its going, tactics, performances. players etc. I hate the fact that some people believe that just because I might hold a different opinion to them and that they can't get a smack in the gob, that they can pour scorn on the things I say or slag me off.

This message board has a few charlies that post on it and a few ignorant people as well, both in footballing terms and general manners. I don't see why I should be a passive victim of them.

I was wondering why you need to be able to name individual fans to think that the fan base are cunty.

Your opinion on whether or not I am a plastic fan could not mean less to me

I didn't actually want him to name 10 Leeds supporters, all fan bases of teams that aren't Spurs are going to appear to be a bunch of tossers by default. Leeds are hardly an exception.

In his case though they are - because of an incident that involves his family - which actually kind of proves the point I made in the initial comment.

Blimey, someone raid the kitchen drawers,, we got a right can o'worms to open here!

It's actually a tough one to call, whilst I may look for Inter and Lyon's results abroad due to allegiances long since forgotten, I don't get the same palpitations or weekend ruining feelings if THEY lose, as I instinctively have when Spurs do!
THAT'S the difference I think!

Yes of COURSE you can support a team from anywhere in the world, no-one's stopping you, but there's something to be said for having a team as close to your home as to your heart.

Many people who are already adults do literally just chose a team, though.

Sometimes, but not always. I always find it hugely flattering that someone without the locality attachment I had, decides for whatever reason, Spurs is the team they support, whether by chance or design.

I've read some of the stories on here of how some fans from other countries have come to be Spurs fans, many cases of people who feel they fit the ethos of the club, others for who it just came to be, who then learned to embrace the ethos of the club. However it happened, they're someone who has the same love for the club I do and welcome members of the Spurs fanbase.

couldn't agree with you more - because I'm in the same boat as you - mine is because of my work and when I get time at home, my family comes first - and football isn't the only hobby or pasttime I have surrendered because of that.

That isn't what I was trying to say - plastic to me is a non contributory fan - as opposed to a die hard supporter who stands/sits in the ground supporting the club, hail or shine, home or away - to the best of their ability. Being stuck thousands of miles away prevents people from being real supporters, but that is their issue - if you want the justification of being a true fan, find a club close by and support them.

The thing that really fucks up the whole dynamic is the modern breed of supporter, who has the money and a season ticket and goes to the ground and spend the whole game whining and complaining.

What people need to do is to stop getting the arseholes with me - on the basis that they are feeling hurt because they live too far from the ground to be a supporter, I'm not insulting you personally, or demeaning YOUR level of support, I'm just saying that you're not a proper supporter - but not that are not a die hard, committed and passionate fan.

At least you are supporting a team in your own country.

Like I say, it depends on your interpretation of plastic.

I knew a guy who would claim to be a Spurs fan...if we won a significant game. He could name 2 Spurs players but couldn't recognise them on the pitch, he knew fuck all about football in general and always picked arguments with our Gooner mates and was generally embarrassing as fuck. He was a fake fan, one made of plastic, he wasn't a fan at all, he was a fucking knob-head.

I injured myself on the day of the Worthington Cup Final in '99, I sat down the pub in agony for 90+ minutes, the injury was causing me pain too, but I waited untill the end, celebrated with a pint before making my way to A&E (broken collarbone)....though not season-ticket holder stuff, it surely puts me in a better category of fan than the likes of the plastic guy?!

The whole issue of 'plastic' fans is a load of shit that people come up with to try to prove that their support is more valid than someone else's. A Man City fan (from Manchester) that started 'supporting' the club after they won the Premier League is far more of a platic fan than an Australian Spurs fan who stays up until 3am in the morning to watch Ramos' side get 2 points from the first 8 games of the season.

For the record - I have never lived in London.

Back
Top Bottom