Best players ever!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having thought about this during this evening, I'm going to choose a PL era XI...

....................... Lloris
Alderweireld - King - Vertonghen
Walker.............Modric.............Rose
.....................Van der Vaart.....Ginola
...........Berbatov.............Kane

Subs:
- Friedel
- Parker
- Sheringham
- Klinsmann
- Carrick
- Bale
- Lennon

Really hard to leave out some names, but I went for a team that I though would work well together.
The 3 CBs speak for themselves - I'm not a huge Vertonghen fan, as he has a lot of flaws that are exposed, however they tend to disappear when he's alongside a good CB partner. Alderweireld is brilliant, and King is just a phenomenom. I couldn't think of a better 'dream' defence.
Rose and Walker on the wings - maybe it's just fresh memory, but they just work so well as wing backs and could spark a counter attack with pace, whilst also being good defenders.
Modric, interchangeable with Parker or Carrick, would make a great deep-lying playmaker.
Van der Vaart sat in the hole behind Kane (who I see as a superior version of Sheringham, controversial but hey), and then Berbatov to be a committed front man (whilse Kane likes to drop back). I could imagine Berbatov being able to supply Kane with lethargic pin point balls, whilst being that incredible 'goal from nowhere' freak he was.
Ginola would have a free-role, as he can just do whatever he pleases. I imagine he'd be a handful in that role.

The subs are straightforward - Benny of a certain vintage might have made the bench, but it's only so big. I'd still have Lennon, as he just offered so much. Bale I think is too selfish (again, controversial) to make the team perfect, but I'd still have 2010 Bale on the bench. Klinsmann has to be in the mix, but I just don't think he would get in ahead of a Berb/Kane pairing.

Just my opinion of couse, but I can't imagine a more title-worthy first XI.

I have to say I've been very lucky to see some utterly fantastic players at the lane, lucky because of when I was born. I first match in 68 as a young lad was the game that brought us maybe the most iconic picture of a Spurs great, when Dave Mackay had Billy Bremner by the neck.
I am honoured to have seen Jimmy Greaves, to put it simply the greatest goal scorer we have ever seen.
Pat Jennings, I may be biased but I can't think of a better goalkeeper I have seen.
I have had many favourites over the years, Ardilles, Ginola, Gazza etc, but Hoddle tops the list for me. I can honestly say we will never see his like again, for me the most skilful player I have ever seen. He was an artist who painted the most wonderful pictures on our fantastic old patch, yet he was underrated by many until he was gone.

C4_nEc9VUAAmDc9

Don't know how anyone can leave out Bale. His last year was absurd. Scoring worldies every single week. To me, he is the best Spurs player I've ever seen.

Bale is the only current world class British player. I watched a showreel of his Spurs goals and they were all quality. He is up there with Hoddle and Gazza in terms of talent, although he is not so much an artist as a machine.
I think the manner in which he left is the reason Spurs fans are in two minds about him.

To go against the grain, I'd find it hard not to include Friedel in our squad, even as a 'sub'.

Very underrated for us.

Hard to compare the likes of Jennings to Lloris, as it's a completely different game to what they had to put up with back then.
Apart from wearing gloves and not picking up back passes I feel confident that goalkeepers do much the same job.
Jennings would be first pick today if he were at his pomp

I totally agree, he would have bled navy and white, but still don't think he would make the first eleven of our best players (believe me, it really hurts me to type this)
Whilst you might be being brutally honest about his playing skills it would be hard to overlook him for the leadership and motivational impact he would have on the team.

VDV was easily my favourite Spurs player of all time. The things he could do with a ball were just magical. His skillset was similar to Berbatov, but he clearly worked harder which made me adore him.

I have to say I've been very lucky to see some utterly fantastic players at the lane, lucky because of when I was born. I first match in 68 as a young lad was the game that brought us maybe the most iconic picture of a Spurs great, when Dave Mackay had Billy Bremner by the neck.
I am honoured to have seen Jimmy Greaves, to put it simply the greatest goal scorer we have ever seen.
Pat Jennings, I may be biased but I can't think of a better goalkeeper I have seen.
I have had many favourites over the years, Ardilles, Ginola, Gazza etc, but Hoddle tops the list for me. I can honestly say we will never see his like again, for me the most skilful player I have ever seen. He was an artist who painted the most wonderful pictures on our fantastic old patch, yet he was underrated by many until he was gone.
And they had to play on unheated pitches that resembled beaches by February. Imagine those players with modern training, facilities, diets, medical support, pitches and salaries

I almost wish Poch had popped into the MOTD studios post-match to ask Berbatov what his plans were until May... and whether he fancied, y'know... hanging around the training ground, oozing class for a few months, just to help some of the first team out!

Berbatov was the nearest thing to a modern-day Gilzean as i've ever witnessed...
fucking loved the guy. I just wish he hadn't left the way he did... fucking Fergie!

Back
Top Bottom