Benjamin Stambouli

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm surprised to here people being so negative. I was at the game so you don't see everything but I thought he was quite solid even before the goal. I hope we stick him or Bentaleb next to Mason on the weekend.

I'm surprised to here people being so negative. I was at the game so you don't see everything but I thought he was quite solid even before the goal. I hope we stick him or Bentaleb next to Mason on the weekend.
He looked really slow - got turned at least 3 times in the 1st half. Of course the goal makes up for everything.

He also said after that his celebration was "For the military who fight for peace". Referring to the infighting at Spurs which has brought about unity? So many questions, so few answers
I reckon he's saluting the people who burned down Archway. Wow what a great guy!!!

Lot of replays showing him running on custard. Extremely slow and couldn't even get within 10 yards. I've never noticed him that slow in other games though, I'm not sure if he was just jogging or it's a medical problem or what. Other than his complete lack of pace I thought he did fine.

Lot of replays showing him running on custard. Extremely slow and couldn't even get within 10 yards. I've never noticed him that slow in other games though, I'm not sure if he was just jogging or it's a medical problem or what. Other than his complete lack of pace I thought he did fine.

Complete lack of pace and the Premier League rarely mix well. Bad sign for the future.

Maybe he was told he is playing vs Everton...

So we have the range of MOTM to can't run for shit and everything in between! Good old Spurs fans

Missed this game so can't make judgement myself, pleased to see him get a goal, seems a good fellow especially saying we can still win title!

He was fine. He was behind play and was running towards centre half to cover for Vertonghen who was meant to go close down Usain Bolt on the wing. He's faster that Crapoue and he's been getting games all season. If anyone should be worried about anything it should be his lack of cover for the defence.

He has fight, looks determined, wants to play the ball forward, is mobile, can use both feet and recycles possession quickly. He's pretty much the only midfielder who does this other than Mason. He's much overdue a start in the league.

Why the hell hell didn't he shoot, instead of trying to set Lamella up, if we were losing (which is quite often in the prem) that would have been unforgivable?

Compared to the Dembele miss against Southampton (?) last season - when he could have squared it to Ade but shot and missed - it was perhaps a better decision. No ideal situation here, if he shot and missed then perhaps we'd be reading about how he should have squared it?

He was fine. He was behind play and was running towards centre half to cover for Vertonghen who was meant to go close down Usain Bolt on the wing. He's faster that Crapoue and he's been getting games all season. If anyone should be worried about anything it should be his lack of cover for the defence.

He has fight, looks determined, wants to play the ball forward, is mobile, can use both feet and recycles possession quickly. He's pretty much the only midfielder who does this other than Mason. He's much overdue a start in the league.
Agree, however blame for being exposed should be laid at Paulinho's door, who remains an absolute fucking liability. In the first half it looked like we played a 4-1-4-1 formation with Stambouli the 1 in front of our defence. Whilst his lack of pace, which was alarming and dare I say comical, it was Paulinho's inability to close down, tackle, win the ball, pass forwards, retain possession, stupid flicks to absolutely no one, make no runs into space and control a ball without having to take 3 touches means he might as well not be on the pitch. I'd actually argue we would be more effective without him off the pitch as we can exploit the space this excuse of a footballer would leave behind.

We went back to 4-2-3-1 in second half which meant Stambouli wasn't isolated and therefore his lack of pace was less of an issue. What I like about this guy is he is always on the front foot, looking to not just close down the player but win the ball too. In tight spaces he has great feet, how many times did he take on more than one player 5 or 6 times (we need to do this more often to draw opposing teams out of position) really great to see. Also, IMO he was our leader on the pitch last night, constantly talking and organising other players around him, including likes of Vertonghen which I think is telling. He also makes the effort at the end of the game to thank the fans and giving his shirt away. In a team full of players with no connection with the fans this type of positive atitude is a massive plus and actually means something.

Last edited:
Bit like the invaders, the first time he got caught was sort of funny but it soon got old as the night wore on.

constantly talking and organising other players around him, including likes of Vertonghen which I think is telling. He also makes the effort at the end of the game to thank the fans and giving his shirt away. In a team full of players with no connection with the fans this type of positive atitude is a massive plus and actually means something.

I especially liked this bit and reckon we should see more of this from all the players.
If Levy and Pochettino have any sense they'll be encouraging it too

Seems like common sense.

Back
Top Bottom