Benjamin Stambouli

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Goes to further justify what was said earlier.
Capoue is a CDM that can't tackle...
Dembele and Stambouli for me, dynamic.

that's hardly fair. his positioning, though seemingly suspect on a few occasions, has been decent enough for the most part that he doesn't need to sandro his way into tackles. that's why one plays for QPR and the other is in Poch's first 11.

sunderland also hovered around 30% possession until the final 15-20 minutes when they started to pressure us a little more, which was when a fresh stambouli was brought on. Fresh CDM + more opportunities = greater chance to make tackles.

also you're using a chart to determine that he can't tackle... enough said. Get your head out of your statshole and watch the game ffs

that's hardly fair. his positioning, though seemingly suspect on a few occasions, has been decent enough for the most part that he doesn't need to sandro his way into tackles. that's why one plays for QPR and the other is in Poch's first 11.

sunderland also hovered around 30% possession until the final 15-20 minutes when they started to pressure us a little more, which was when a fresh stambouli was brought on. Fresh CDM + more opportunities = greater chance to make tackles.

also you're using a chart to determine that he can't tackle... enough said. Get your head out of your statshole and watch the game ffs

No no no actual game doesn't matter. Stats always tell the entire story!!

First time I've ever encountered 'statshole' what a wonderful word.

Lots of talk about best pairing - Dembele/Capoue, Bentaleb/Dembele, Stambouli/Capoue etc...
To be fair we have a deep squad with perhaps 8 or so first named players the others different reasons to be picked or rested.
So Poch quite simply has to get every player capable of starting and then letting players determine wether motivation, luck or form puts them on the starting sheet.
For me let Poch pick the most game ready player being mindful of the game/travel rotation required.
I just want to win.

This this and this again...
I hate the idea we might ONLY have TWO first team players capable of forming a partnership, and that the players select themselves, by virtue of the fact they are the only two capable enough, and the rest are sloppy seconds!
GOOD that we have 8 players equally as able to play in the first team... THAT wa, you don't get a massive groan going round the stadium when Player 'A' is missing (must be injured, out of favour...) and we're having to resort to Player 'B' in an emergency round peg in a square hole last ditch panic measure!
Bit like the fact we've struggled to come up with more than 3 decent names for Captain... and Kaboul felt like a loyalty vote!
I'd quite like us to have 7 or 8 players with CAPTAIN material... don't mean they all have to toss a coin in the centre circle or visit the Kids Ward at Christmas... we want Captains Coursing through our spine!

But Dembele played all game, and still made more tackles than our DM.
His tackles were mostly in our half when they were on the break too, Capoue was no where to be seen (his job).
I understand your logic of us being in their half most of the time, so do you really want a player of ours lurking around the back, when someone else could be bombing their box (Paulinho).
Wrong player for that game, we didn't need a screen.
I watched Sandro for QPR the other night as well, no where near the player we have seen, so I suspect that is why he was sold. Still isn't fit, still had to come off.
I would take an inform Sandro over what I have seen of Capoue so far.
Unfortunately I think we saw the best of him in a Spurs shirt.

But Dembele played all game, and still made more tackles than our DM.
His tackles were mostly in our half when they were on the break too, Capoue was no where to be seen (his job).
I understand your logic of us being in their half most of the time, so do you really want a player of ours lurking around the back, when someone else could be bombing their box (Paulinho).
Wrong player for that game, we didn't need a screen.
I watched Sandro for QPR the other night as well, no where near the player we have seen, so I suspect that is why he was sold. Still isn't fit, still had to come off.
I would take an inform Sandro over what I have seen of Capoue so far.
Unfortunately I think we saw the best of him in a Spurs shirt.

So you're suggesting we should have foregone a DM all together? Timmy? Timmy Sherwood? Is that you?

Capoue has, so far this season, looked like a wonderful anchor... you take him out for Paulinho, as you suggest, and we'll be forced to play Dembele in that position. That would completely sacrifice his ability to help keep possession further up field. In form or not, I still doubt Sandro would've fit Poch's system. He needs someone like Capoue who, despite his size, isn't an outright "destroyer" per se, but someone who can win the ball and distribute it quickly and effectively. Regardless of what you believe based on how many charts you've read, Capoue fits that role quite nicely and has performed pretty decently. Stambouli will certainly get his chance, but to write off Capoue because a chart you saw said he didn't have as many tackles as Stambouli or even Dembele is foolish. He's a disciplined player that knows his job and gets it done without much fuss.

So you're suggesting we should have foregone a DM all together? Timmy? Timmy Sherwood? Is that you?

Capoue has, so far this season, looked like a wonderful anchor... you take him out for Paulinho, as you suggest, and we'll be forced to play Dembele in that position. That would completely sacrifice his ability to help keep possession further up field. In form or not, I still doubt Sandro would've fit Poch's system. He needs someone like Capoue who, despite his size, isn't an outright "destroyer" per se, but someone who can win the ball and distribute it quickly and effectively. Regardless of what you believe based on how many charts you've read, Capoue fits that role quite nicely and has performed pretty decently. Stambouli will certainly get his chance, but to write off Capoue because a chart you saw said he didn't have as many tackles as Stambouli or even Dembele is foolish. He's a disciplined player that knows his job and gets it done without much fuss.
If you read before that chart was posted, you will see I said that Capoue was immobile and I would like to experiment with a different partnership.
I actually made my observation by watching the games, not the stat, and Im surprised you missed it.
And I would like to think we could handle Sunderland without an all out defensive player.
Dembele is capable in the role, as shown on the weekend, against a rubbish team, and made Capoue look pretty redundant.
Just calling it as I see it, don't get mad.

If you read before that chart was posted, you will see I said that Capoue was immobile and I would like to experiment with a different partnership.
I actually made my observation by watching the games, not the stat, and Im surprised you missed it.
And I would like to think we could handle Sunderland without an all out defensive player.
Dembele is capable in the role, as shown on the weekend, against a rubbish team, and made Capoue look pretty redundant.
Just calling it as I see it, don't get mad.

if you watched Spurs at all last season then you'd be aware that Dembele is far and away the furthest thing from exemplary when played as a DM. It makes no sense forcing him to drop deeper when his skillset would suit us better in the opposition's half, especially when we have a capable anchor in Capoue.

We had several defensive players on against Sunderland towards the end and still gave up a silly OG. Shit happens. I kneejerked about it, but I'm over it.

I'm not mad over your opinion, I'm mad that you're using a two category bar chart to back up a statement as silly as 'our DM can't tackle'

if you watched Spurs at all last season then you'd be aware that Dembele is far and away the furthest thing from exemplary when played as a DM. It makes no sense forcing him to drop deeper when his skillset would suit us better in the opposition's half, especially when we have a capable anchor in Capoue.

We had several defensive players on against Sunderland towards the end and still gave up a silly OG. Shit happens. I kneejerked about it, but I'm over it.

I'm not mad over your opinion, I'm mad that you're using a two category bar chart to back up a statement as silly as 'our DM can't tackle'
Problem is he's even less useful attacking, despite some very odd people's claims.

Capoue is past it cos he 'cant tackle'?! I don't know how much you watch football these days, but a top-level DM's job is rarely to tackle but more to shield the back four as a deep-laying anchor. Slowing down attacking moves and intercepting way-ward passes. If you look at interception statistics Capoue looks much more impressive. He also fills in impressively at CB when Chiriches/Vertonghen inevitably get a little bored of defending and rate themselves as an attacking player.

In a top level team that looks to play possession based football a DM's passing attributes are key, which Capoue has been exceptional at this season, playing a high percentage of accurate passes with a range of difficulty (not Joe Allen 5-foot sideway passes).

Looking at top-level tackling statistics so far this season: Fernandinho-2.5/Matic-3.8/Henderson-3. Hardly formidable amounts.

The only attribute that Capoue needs severe working on, is his lack of tracking late runs. Aside from that he is a perfect fit.

Last season hardly anything to judge Dembele by, he did not have a good season.
And again, the 'bar chart'... I just told you that I made my mind up when I see him not making challenges when he should.
Sure, he is probably worried about conceding a penalty (you can see how it has effected Dier) but there is nothing more frustrating than watching Sterling dribble across our penalty spot with 3 players of ours failing to even put a foot in!
Capoue one of them in that instance, and not his only.
I'm not sure what you think, but that DM position demands a tough tackling player IMO.
I saw Dembele making those last minute tackles and winning the possession back outside our area, which I don't think I have ever seen Capoue make, blame it on his positioning, or his pace, I don't care but he should have been there instead.
I'm not saying I don't like Capoue, just saying it would be good to see what else is on offer with our massive CM department.

Capoue is past it cos he 'cant tackle'?! I don't know how much you watch football these days, but a top-level DM's job is rarely to tackle but more to shield the back four as a deep-laying anchor. Slowing down attacking moves and intercepting way-ward passes. If you look at interception statistics Capoue looks much more impressive. He also fills in impressively at CB when Chiriches/Vertonghen inevitably get a little bored of defending and rate themselves as an attacking player.

In a top level team that looks to play possession based football a DM's passing attributes are key, which Capoue has been exceptional at this season, playing a high percentage of accurate passes with a range of difficulty (not Joe Allen 5-foot sideway passes).

Looking at top-level tackling statistics so far this season: Fernandinho-2.5/Matic-3.8/Henderson-3. Hardly formidable amounts.

The only attribute that Capoue needs severe working on, is his lack of tracking late runs. Aside from that he is a perfect fit.
Past it? When did I say that?
I want to explore other options, especially against junky teams like Sunderland.
Capoue, by all means, against the larger sides.
And I think he can fill a void a CB too.
But why do we need that shield with a team like Sunderland?
I agree with your last point, mobility seriously needs to be worked on.

Last season hardly anything to judge Dembele by, he did not have a good season.
And again, the 'bar chart'... I just told you that I made my mind up when I see him not making challenges when he should.
Sure, he is probably worried about conceding a penalty (you can see how it has effected Dier) but there is nothing more frustrating than watching Sterling dribble across our penalty spot with 3 players of ours failing to even put a foot in!
Capoue one of them in that instance, and not his only.
I'm not sure what you think, but that DM position demands a tough tackling player IMO.
I saw Dembele making those last minute tackles and winning the possession back outside our area, which I don't think I have ever seen Capoue make, blame it on his positioning, or his pace, I don't care but he should have been there instead.
I'm not saying I don't like Capoue, just saying it would be good to see what else is on offer with our massive CM department.

1) Our "tough" tackler went on to QPR because Poch didn't see a use for him in Poch's system. You're clearly not watching the game if you find Capoue's play to be ineffective.

2) the enter key is two above the arrow, only one above shift. if you'd like a chart on how to get there, PM CJJ CJJ and see if he's still around. He'll certainly have one or three laying around somewhere.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to try Capoue and Stambouli as the two DM's, and play Dembele in Chadli's role? Chadli has been immense so far, but it might be worth a shot against a lesser team like West Brom. Can't really see Stambouli being limited to a substitute role. And then we have Bentaleb as well who has impressed. Competition is tough for those spots, can't be a bad thing.

1) Our "tough" tackler went on to QPR because Poch didn't see a use for him in Poch's system. You're clearly not watching the game if you find Capoue's play to be ineffective.

2) the enter key is two above the arrow, only one above shift. if you'd like a chart on how to get there, PM CJJ CJJ and see if he's still around. He'll certainly have one or three laying around somewhere.
Having trouble reading?
That explains why you didn't see the game properly. ;)
Capoue was not ineffective, I'm unsure why you keep taking words out of my mouth.
Not needed against a Sunderland side whose best player is Johnson.
(See what I did here?)
I'm done with this now, until next game.
Hope Capoue has a blinder.

Back
Top Bottom