Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Possibly, or Ryan Sessegnon (?) Appears to be a prospect. At 16 and with danny rose being 26 in 5 years Rose would be 31 and.he would be 21 having learnt from the man himself. Good call perhaps?,

Perhaps. I think he's one worth picking up.

In the short term, I would even be ok with Sissoko playing ahead of Davies

Davies was getting a lot of the blame in the ground yesterday, along with Dier - not sure why anyone should be singled out for yesterdays performance. Both goals came from multiple errors and no one really played to the level normally expected of them........we love a scapegoat though

I'm blaming Lamela for yesterday...... :levyeyes:

Davies was getting a lot of the blame in the ground yesterday, along with Dier - not sure why anyone should be singled out for yesterdays performance. Both goals came from multiple errors and no one really played to the level normally expected of them........we love a scapegoat though

Completely agree- Mane is perhaps the best winger/attacking mid in the league this season and so we leave our second choice left back again him in 1v1 situations or worse for the first 25 minutes of the game? Is it really that Davies is so "below average", or did we perhaps just play awful, lethargic, team defense? I think we know what the answer is!

Sissoko as a wingback in a 352 could actually work. He's right-footed though, so as an alternative to Rose he wouldn't be the solution imo.

This is complete madness. Davies is way better as a LCB or LWB than Sissoko.

I think Davies is a fine left-sided back. He's in between a CB and WB so when we play him there he always looks to lacking compared with Jan or Rose, but I mean, cmon, they are practically paragons of their respective positions.

He scored a nice goal for us a few weeks back and always seems to be willing to run his ass off. This not good enough business is crazy- he's absolutely good enough to be backing up Jan and Rose and I'm still glad we have him.

We are going through some lean times lineup wise and we need to play smarter.

As a wing back. Pace, power - same things that Rose has and Davies doesn't.
Agreed. But positioning and awareness are key elements in the fullback position and I find it a struggle to think that Sissoko has those immediate qualities. You suggest such radical alternatives but sound like the type of fan who'd get on our back for actually listening to such outlandish tactical advice.

Sorry for hogging this thread about Trippier, I got carried away over the weekend but Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi just posted an interesting article in the Hotstats thread. Thought I'd post in here as I have been swimming against the tied about Trippier's crossing ability. I've picked out this piece below to hopefully back-up my comments. One of my issues with him is he doesn't get behind oppo defence or into the oppo box, Rose and Walker do this and thus I believe thats' what makes them more of a threat, both cross but from a better area on the pitch, Davies also but to a far lesser extent. Trippier's crosses are very low percentage because they are from a poor area (outside of the box), they might look good but they rarely find a white shirt.

Bring on the hate.
Art of crossing can still count in an age of crowded penalty areas | Sean Ingle
First of all he analysed 35,000 crosses from open play in the Premier League, from 2013 to 2015. Crosses from open play led to assists for 414 goals – a dismal 1.2% success rate.

Yet when Gelade tracked what happened in the next six seconds, that jumped, with a further 5,094 attempts on goal leading to 252 goals. There were also another 4,727 corners and 18 penalties, leading to another 80 goals. That brought the conversion rate from crosses from open play up to 2.2% – or one goal for every 45 crosses. Not enormously more productive, granted. But still much better – and a similar success rate to set pieces near the box.

Gelade was able to dive deeper, though, by working with a performance analyst from a leading Premier League club. Together they worked out the numbers could be nudged further in the crosser’s favour – depending on where the cross was made, where it was aimed, the angle of delivery, and whether it was closer to the near or the far post. So a cross from inside the box had a success rate of 7.6% if aimed towards the back post – double that of a cross hit to the near post.Of course context is vital here. The quality of the cross and the player on the end of it matters too – something the data was not able to take into account.

Completely agree- Mane is perhaps the best winger/attacking mid in the league this season and so we leave our second choice left back again him in 1v1 situations or worse for the first 25 minutes of the game? Is it really that Davies is so "below average", or did we perhaps just play awful, lethargic, team defense? I think we know what the answer is!
Do we? This is not the first time Davies has been exposed in one on one situations vs a pacy winger.

This is complete madness. Davies is way better as a LCB or LWB than Sissoko.

I think Davies is a fine left-sided back. He's in between a CB and WB so when we play him there he always looks to lacking compared with Jan or Rose, but I mean, cmon, they are practically paragons of their respective positions.

He scored a nice goal for us a few weeks back and always seems to be willing to run his ass off. This not good enough business is crazy- he's absolutely good enough to be backing up Jan and Rose and I'm still glad we have him.

I'm not convinced by Davies at full-back and certainly not as a wingback. I do rate him, but that' as a LCB in a back three. I honestly think Sissoko makes a better wingback than Davies.

Not good enough anymore imo.

The only pace in our team is the full backs. When you've got one who's slow and barely attacks it ruins us.

Our attacks came mainly from the right side. Davies played well defensively, but offered very little when it came to the attack. I also noted that the rest of the team didn't bother passing much to him, but when he did get the ball he played very passively. I am comparing him to the best left-back in the premier league, so take it with a grain of salt.

Davies just isn't suited to play as a wingback in a back 5, he lacks speed and seems reluctant to get forward. And if you play him as a LB in a back four you need a winger staying on the left to compensate for his lack of offensive qualities, which isn't really how we tend to play and therefore requires us to change our entire approach.. Davies could be useful for us as a LCB in a back three: the position he plays for Wales. I don't really see him as a Rose replacement at LB though and certainly not as a LWB.

Back
Top Bottom