Are Tottenham still a stepping stone?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Over the last few years at White Hart Lane we've been burnt by the individuals who stood head and shoulders above their teammates, today however, thanks to Pochettino and co, there is a real sense of unity and a common goal for the whole squad, is our time as a stepping stone at an end? Vass discusses.

Read article

I'd say we're less a stepping stone and more a well-run ship, with a crew working hard to bring us to our destination together.

I think that we still are, but to a more limited degree than before. For example, i get the feeling that Eriksen views us as that - and there's nothing wrong with wanting to move to different places, it's how you do it.

Now, we're not a stepping stone to English clubs at least.

I think we are and always will be unless we get Chelsea rich but only for 4 or 5 clubs in the whole world could get the players we really want to keep.

Agreed, there has and will always be a food chain in world football we have just risen to a level where there isn't many clubs who are considered a big step up.

Real, Barcelona, Bayern are really the only three clubs I can think of that I wouldn't blame a player wanting to leave us for

Not any more. So long as Poch stays for a few more seasons. The stability he has given us and the new stadium mean we are no longer a stepping stone club. That doesn't mean we won't sell the occasional player to a bigger club, no one is really immune to that, but previously we were never able to keep players.

Come season 2018-2019 most definitely not. We jump into the top tier, financially - and will then be able to offer the salaries that our competitors offer.
Prestige also comes with the new stadium. I'd take Bayern out off the equation - Madrid/Barcelona the only two clubs I can think of that I wouldn't blame a player wanting to leave us for...

Come season 2018-2019 most definitely not. We jump into the top tier, financially - and will then be able to offer the salaries that our competitors offer.
Prestige also comes with the new stadium. I'd take Bayern out off the equation - Madrid/Barcelona the only two clubs I can think of that I wouldn't blame a player wanting to leave us for...

I'm not sure to be honest , if in a couple of years Man Utd came in with a Griezmann or equivalent in their ranks and offered big bucks for someone like Eriksen or Dele I'm not sure we'd keep them , they would probably go 120 - 140 million on Dele if he keeps it going.

Last edited:
We won't really know until 1 or 2 seasons in to playing at the new stadium - can't see anyone leaving voluntarily before having the chance to play a full season at Wembley and then in the new ground.

Depends on the level our players reach and the level we reach as a club. We win the league or get top 4 champions league regularly then we can probably forfill the ambitions of our squad.

Question is if Alli gets to Bales level and becomes unplayable yet will still don't win things then tensions will arise. For me though Pochettino is the one most things hang off.

when we get into the New "WHL" we will have the money to pay the players we need, but we also need to be winning things or at least being a very very close second,

when we get into the New "WHL" we will have the money to pay the players we need, but we also need to be winning things or at least being a very very close second,
Not quite as simple as that. I don't know how we would be structured financialy after the build but one thing for sure is we will have one of the largest debts in world football to pay off. I'm confident that it can be paid down faster than the scum as we will be earning more revenue due to TV deal(s) and it's muted that the naming rights deal and shirt sponsorship deals are bigger than them too (or bigger than when they first moved into the library).

Back
Top Bottom