Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
He is the bollocks - best on the planet? Not so certain. But you can say for certain.... Put Kompany behind Toure & you have an iron core to your outfield. You could put me in goal, Clashy left back (deliberate inoffensive joke) Cahspur up the middle, Gibbsy , Arcpace& Sammy to argue about who took the kick off & any combination of forum tossers to make up the rabble-& we would still win the odd game
Mate I was a no7. I'm a shit left back, I'd play anywhere though

Here we go again. Back on the "Sweet Joe Clash he's in who's gash?" merry go round. I bet your knob is like a walnut whip with all this action Clashter. League of gentlemen we ain't.
Sorry, that wasn't my intention, it was old action. You said Jan, I thought that's what you meant. Calm down mate.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention, it was old action. You said Jan, I thought that's what you meant. Calm down mate.
Jeez mate. Stop apologising. I miss that fiery cunt who happily went "Joe Clash"- a brilliant description for any situation by the way. I hope to see it in the next OED alongside the latest scrabble words. A "Joe Clash" has to be worth many points at scrabble.:lamelashock:

It's my name: Joseph Michael Clash.
clash.png
Really? I thought you were a clash/joe strummer fan. Sorry. It's my g g generation & senility.-& yes I know my generation was the who not the clash.

We wouldn't need to replace Townsend? sorry but that's just shit.

Yeah. How on earth are we going to fill the void his 1 prem goal and zero assists that he got for us last season eh?

How will we possibly manage with his worse than Lennon heading percentage ripped from our team.

How will we fill the colander that is his defensive prowess off the ball?

And don't forget his immense presence taking, attacking or defending free kicks that have literally never amounted to anything in the prem.

Last edited:
"Holding midfielders" aren't the issue, it's the use of using two highly similar players in those roles, two defensive-minded "destroyers" who are each not particularly mobile. Simply limits your game going forward a bit too much, and limits the supply to and size of the space to exploit for the forward players.

It's not their game or purpose to take it forward. They are 2 of 5 midfielders. They have 4 options to supply to and their passing is probably better than Townsend and Lennon because they (be it Sandro, Capoue, bentaleb etc) are much better than them in most aspects of passing. They are quality players. Not your average bruiser/spoiler/plodder.

They are midfielders. Not just dm's, holding players, destroyers etc. they can play damn good football. Better than Lennon and townsend in almost all facets of the game.

Moving the ball was never a problem. The problem was giving it to clueless players like Townsend, Defoe, Loldado or Lennon to stink up our tempo. They were lacking in guile and movement and people were blaming Dembele, Paulinho or Capoue for slow buildup.

They had lazy targets who made predictable runs and had to constantly recycle the ball because Defoe , Soldado, Townsend and Lennon could not create a fucking spark of anything resembling an attack. Offside, can't hold off players, can't figure out the parked bus etc.

Kane, Ade, Holtby, Eriksen and Lamela will offer targets, movement and players that can shield and give and go instead of running with their heads down and shanking crosses to nobody.

Out dm's had to shovel shit from their breakdowns all season. It's time to shovel the real shit out of this club.

Last edited:
It's not their game or purpose to take it forward. They are 2 of 5 midfielders. They have 4 options to supply to and their passing is probably better than Townsend and Lennon because they (be it Sandro, Capoue, bentaleb etc) are much better than them in most aspects of passing. They are quality players. Not your average bruiser/spoiler/plodder.

They are midfielders. Not just dm's, holding players, destroyers etc. they can play damn good football. Better than Lennon and townsend in almost all facets of the game.

Moving the ball was never a problem. The problem was giving it to clueless players like Townsend, Defoe, Loldado or Lennon to stink up our tempo. They were lacking in guile and movement and people were blaming Dembele, Paulinho or Capoue for slow buildup.

They had lazy targets who made predictable runs and had to constantly recycle the ball because Defoe , Soldado, Townsend and Lennon could not create a fucking spark of anything resembling an attack. Offside, can't hold off players, can't figure out the parked bus etc.

Kane, Ade, Holtby, Eriksen and Lamela will offer targets, movement and players that can shield and give and go instead of running with their heads down and shanking crosses to nobody.

Out dm's had to shovel shit from their breakdowns all season. It's time to shovel the real shit out of this club.
Agree. Lennon has frustrated, flattered to deceive for far to long. And I,m completely indifferent towards Townsend. Both imo are too one dimensional and therefore too predictable. I would not lose any sleep if either, both were sold tomorrow. However!! If they stay and play. Townsend will give 100% (of his game?) each game.
And I have to confess I only got to see the Shalke pre-season game and it looked like to me Poch appreciates
Lennons pace and has instructed him, on occasion to come infield and position himself on the shoulder of the last defender and make runs in/behind him. Which I liked. But you then have to have the ability to finish. And sadly I dont think the boy has that!

Agree. Lennon has frustrated, flattered to deceive for far to long. And I,m completely indifferent towards Townsend. Both imo are too one dimensional and therefore too predictable. I would not lose any sleep if either, both were sold tomorrow. However!! If they stay and play. Townsend will give 100% (of his game?) each game.
And I have to confess I only got to see the Shalke pre-season game and it looked like to me Poch appreciates
Lennons pace and has instructed him, on occasion to come infield and position himself on the shoulder of the last defender and make runs in/behind him. Which I liked. But you then have to have the ability to finish. And sadly I dont think the boy has that!

The crux for me is we have to have 4 players in that final third that can strike the ball sweetly. The ball drops to the guys from last season and there was no anticipation if Defoe, Paulinho, Soldado, Lennon or Townsend took a shot. Might as well just tap it out of touch like Rose does.

Eriksen, Lamela, Ade or Kane? It has a whole new outlook on it. Crowd expectation can make keepers etc nervy. Townsend or Lennon flops bring out the groans.

Then you need wildcards like Paulinho and Holtby who can get scruffy and score. Or dark horses like Chadli and Dembele who never have enough shots a season because of retarded coaches playing them out of position.

I am dying to see if poch is going to get mugged off or not. If I see Rose. Townsend, Lennon, naughton and soldado starting...IMO it's lev that won't last the season.

Football is far more simple than everyone believes it is? 11 V 11

The great Brian Clouth summed it up for me....

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes"

The real world...

Back
Top Bottom