Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
I don't know bud, that 60-some shots with 1 league goal is pretty fucking terrible...

It depends what the potential outcome is. If you think about it, it's not so straight forward.

He does shoot an awful lot, and I jest about it as much as anyone, but aside from the fact that he creates chances and opens up the defence more than other players would with dribbling and so on, there's a different possible benefit of his shooting.

We know that Soldado is a poacher and has missed some sitters, but strikers in general are there to get the tap is as much as the one-on-ones and in front of the defence shots. If Andros takes a shot on target from a crossing position, theres a decent likelihood of a goal as it'll either (if it's on target) go in, get saved, and if the keeper palms it away, there's a chance someone like Soldado will tap it in. Sometimes shots from midfield create chances more than they end up as goals.

Also, maybe AVB told him to cut inside on the side that's not comfortable for him yet, and have a shot. It could well be tactics and not quite his decision (I'm sure he's hardly had anything like the amount of shots under Sherwood that he did before Xmas).

A little bit more luck, and he'd be on par with some of the others, really. Here's the team shot/goals tally (all competitions). Taken from the official site.

Player.................... (apps/shots/goals)
-----------------------------------------------------
Andros .......................30/75/2
Paulinho .....................32/72/6
Lamela .......................17/20/1
Capoue ......................18/10/1
Lennon .......................29/23/1
Dembélé ....................40/26/2
Chadli .........................31/46/5
"Siluf Gudjerssen"....... 31/60/6
Eriksen .......................31/56/9
Sandro........................ 23/19/1
Bentaleb .....................19/17/0

I'm convinced that, had we had an on-form poacher all season, we would have a midfield who would have played exactly the same but would have had more assists and goals. But more importantly, perhaps the players who can do something with their boot should be shooting more rather than pointlessly crossing. Lennon has had nearly as few shots as lamela who has been out half the season, gylfi we know had a good shot on him, Sandro not so much, Bentaleb we have seen on video in training doing some great shooting, yet he takes less than one shot per game along with Dembélé (who has historically been talk up because of his shooting boots).

I'm not saying that his stats look good in isolation, but being kinder to the guy I feel a lot of his shots might have been seen as 'assists' if soldado was on form, or he might have been more inclined to not shoot and to cross if we had someone we knew would do something with a cross in the box.

Why is the lad not getting any starts?!? He has a decent chance of an England call up but he's going to be very lucky to get in if he doesn't get any games! Sherwood for god sakes give him a start, of all the things Sherwood is doing this is the one that pisses me off. Every time I see the team sheet with Andros on the bench I just feel really sorry for him.

It was all going so well for him, then he got an injury and has never been given a chance to break back into the team again. On top of that people have started slating him despite there almost being no playing time between him being held as a potential Bale replacement.

Why is the lad not getting any starts?!? He has a decent chance of an England call up but he's going to be very lucky to get in if he doesn't get any games! Sherwood for god sakes give him a start, of all the things Sherwood is doing this is the one that pisses me off. Every time I see the team sheet with Andros on the bench I just feel really sorry for him.

It was all going so well for him, then he got an injury and has never been given a chance to break back into the team again. On top of that people have started slating him despite there almost being no playing time between him being held as a potential Bale replacement.
Because he's just not produced when given the chance. Sherwood shouldn't pick his teams based on the premise of doing what's right for the England team.

Eriksen has a lock on the left at the moment, and Townsend on the right was a recipe for disaster earlier in the season.

Optimistic for his future at Spurs but I think you're very wide of the mark.

Why is the lad not getting any starts?!? He has a decent chance of an England call up but he's going to be very lucky to get in if he doesn't get any games!

IMO the lack of link up with very expensive signings should keep him off the bench, let alone the first team. Soldado looked suicidal with the level of buildup he was getting from our wingers and wingbacks. Townsend never clicked with any of them...Not Eriksen, not Holtby. He's not even linked up with Ade since he's been back.

He should be nowhere near this team until he raises his head and works on team ethic and basic techniques. Anyway Lennon just got an assist. Consider Sherwood mugged for the rest of the season. Twat will probably make him captain again.

I'm convinced that, had we had an on-form poacher all season, we would have a midfield who would have played exactly the same but would have had more assists and goals.

Nope. That goes for other players too. It's not like they nearly kinda sorta scored, assisted too is it? Siggy for one has already scored more, and the amount of shots he has missed are much closer than the shanks of Townsend. Your list shows he should be well behind all of the players you listed.

You gotta truss ol gibbsy.

More empty wankery where you avoid topic. People making excuses for Andros but not other players? It's not like Chadli, Eriksen and others haven't had close calls is it?

You are probably thinking ole Gibbsy has a point, but you will never admit it due to cross thread tears.

Because he's just not produced when given the chance. Sherwood shouldn't pick his teams based on the premise of doing what's right for the England team.

Eriksen has a lock on the left at the moment, and Townsend on the right was a recipe for disaster earlier in the season.

Really? That's where he had his best games. And Eriksen on the left is working in an attacking sense but it's destroying Rose defensively.

Really? That's where he had his best games. And Eriksen on the left is working in an attacking sense but it's destroying Rose defensively.
No, he was woeful on the right. His direct attacking pace was exciting at first, until one realized that he had no final ball and kept pulling into the center to shoot from range. The only thing he was accomplishing for Spurs was turning the ball over. His appearances on the left have constrained that bad habit.

Give players a start because their performances justify it, not because giving them a start might hand them an England cap. He's not justified himself lately as any more than a super-sub.

And, like Hegarz Hegarz said, Rose is destroying himself defensively. His basic man-marking and decision making in the defensive third has been embarrassing, and after being beaten I've watched him just stand there looking like a lost child.

Can't blame it on Eriksen, he's only just started playing on the left recently. Rose has been a weakness all season long. Opposing teams have crucified us down that flank, long before Eriksen started on the left.

How's he supposed to produce in 10 minutes at the end of the game?!? And you may not have realized but he played a big role in the equalizer against West Brom by driving the ball forwards.

Finally you use the argument that he should be picked on performance so are you really suggesting that Lennon is doing too well to prevent Andros getting a start?

How's he supposed to produce in 10 minutes at the end of the game?!? And you may not have realized but he played a big role in the equalizer against West Brom by driving the ball forwards.

Finally you use the argument that he should be picked on performance so are you really suggesting that Lennon is doing too well to prevent Andros getting a start?

Both should be dropped. I still cant get my head around Sherwood thinking one, or both should play. NEITHER should play. And why swap one for the other as a sub...The same thing will happen.

I like him. Makes the crowd stand up, surging forwards. Just needs to improve his crossing and finishing.
So I like watching tiny dancers. Sue me.

We could be watching Woolwich get CL because the tiny dancers like Townsend who have not scored from any shots this season, and has not had a single prem assist meant we could not put on more pressure.

They're very different players... Very, very different players.

Fast, good dribblers, good at beating people, terrible crossing, poor shooting, awareness, technique, average passing, tendency to give it away near the goal line etc etc. They are about as close as players get when it comes to physical gifts and technique. They play on the wings. Are close in age. Similar height. Similar creative and goal scoring stats.

Fast, good dribblers, good at beating people, terrible crossing, poor shooting, awareness, technique, average passing, tendency to give it away near the goal line etc etc. They are about as close as players get when it comes to physical gifts and technique. They play on the wings. Are close in age. Similar height. Similar creative and goal scoring stats.
u wot m8

Townsend is 5ft 11

Back
Top Bottom