Andros Townsend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andros Townsend..would you to keep him?

• Total voters
I think he will, but in his rush to prove himself ready to claim a starting berth, he badly overextended himself in the earlier parts of this season. In recent appearances he has played more conservatively within the means of the strengths currently at his disposal, as opposed to the start of the season wherein he was seemingly on a mission to make everyone forget the name of Gareth Bale, and it simply wasn't working.

He's a direct, pacy, and troublesome winger, and that's great, but his goal-scoring instinct and decision-making in the final third currently leave much to be desired. I don't think he can be characterized as a scapegoat given that he's been an irregular piece of our attacking setup at best, but his early attempts this season were certainly far from productive and looked more like a lesson in trying to turn the ball over rather than providing any real creativity or cutting edge in attack.

As I said, he certainly has room for improvement. But to say he's having a "shitty season" and for him to have received the amount of flak he has (which quite frankly amounts to that of a scapegoat) this season is just quite unfair IMO. To point to him and the other wingers as the direct cause of our problems is just near-sighted, as every manager we've faced has made the easy adjustment to isolate the wingers in our slow build-up play.

He has much to learn, but I maintain that he will be one of the first to benefit from a change in style from a sharper, more modern manager. I agree that he's started to show signs of humbling himself, and I think it's the first step towards this progress I expect of him.

...hilarious how every kid who sux 'just needs time' - Townsend has been absolute shit recently...I'd rather win some games with good players...
COYS

False. I wasn't keen on the Lamela acquisition from the beginning, and as for another young academy graduate I'm not a fan of Kane either. Kane will be a PL level player, but he'll never start regularly for one of the big seven. Lamela's issue is a mere product of a tough adaptation, which is exactly what I expected would happen. Townsend though, he's got the tools to make it. Would love for him to do so in lillywhite.

Sorry mate but this is just wrong. There are masses of olayers who take time to develop. I'll not bother going into much detail other than to say that Didier Drogba didn't make his first team debut with Le Mans until he was 21 and didn't play in Ligue 1 until he was 23.

Ian Wright didn't get a professional contract until he was 22 with Crystal Palace.

You claim I am wrong: I just checked, in his first ligue 1 season, Drogba scored 16 goals in 26 games and 7 subs! How can that be comparable with Townsend!? Zero prem assists from a winger? The second season he scored 30 goals in all comps! This is Townsends second season in the prem btw. They have nothing that can be seen as parallels. Same goes for that Gooner Wright. He set that club on fire with his goals when he was the same age as Townsend.

Nothing about Townsends technique and vision tells me he is (or can be) top 4 quality. All he has is a very good dribble which caught out some because he was a secret and now they have him sussed. How can we beat st Totteringhams day when last season Walcott had 22 goals and 16 assists last season? You can probably add up all of Townsends stats IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER IN ALL CLUBS and not get that number.

Read that again: In Townsends 150 or so pro games often at low levels, he has less goals and assists than Walcotts previous season. The kid does not have it. It's so called creative and attacking players like him that keep us spinning our wheels. All flash and nothing in the final third.

Give Soldado a chance, drop Townsend, drop Lennon and lets get more intelligent players that have a history of creating and scoring like Eriksen etc to be our creative focus.

So Townsend has no product in his break out season... Shocker! He actually had 10 goals and assists in 10/11, 9 in 11/12.

10 goals and assists is misleading. That is 4 goals, and 6 assists in a shit league playing over 30 games. That is pretty average for that level.

One of his goals for Yeovil pretty much sums him up for me...Remember I said he is head down and go for it?

How could anyone think his brand of play would work in a fluid system? He's about as poor an example of heads up brand of football we have at the club.

You claim I am wrong: I just checked, in his first ligue 1 season, Drogba scored 16 goals in 26 games and 7 subs! How can that be comparable with Townsend!? Zero prem assists from a winger? The second season he scored 30 goals in all comps! This is Townsends second season in the prem btw. They have nothing that can be seen as parallels. Same goes for that Gooner Wright. He set that club on fire with his goals when he was the same age as Townsend.

Nothing about Townsends technique and vision tells me he is (or can be) top 4 quality. All he has is a very good dribble which caught out some because he was a secret and now they have him sussed. How can we beat st Totteringhams day when last season Walcott had 22 goals and 16 assists last season? You can probably add up all of Townsends stats IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER IN ALL CLUBS and not get that number.

Read that again: In Townsends 150 or so pro games often at low levels, he has less goals and assists than Walcotts previous season. The kid does not have it. It's so called creative and attacking players like him that keep us spinning our wheels. All flash and nothing in the final third.

Give Soldado a chance, drop Townsend, drop Lennon and lets get more intelligent players that have a history of creating and scoring like Eriksen etc to be our creative focus.
Drogba didn't kick a ball in Ligue 1 until he was 25 mate. By that reckoning Townsend is well ahead of the curve, regardless of his return.

You've actually managed to destroy your own arguement by bringing Walcott into the discussion as he's a few years ahead of Townsend and in his first 3/4 seasons at L'Arse his return was poor. It's only the last three seasons that he has started returning for them.

I'd love to see some of your old comments about Bale, I'd be pretty sure they were similar no?

I'd love to see some of your old comments about Bale, I'd be pretty sure they were similar no?

Sure:
http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/ind...s-a-full-back-etc-blah-blah-blah.60131/page-2

Ole Gibbsy in 06-09-2008, 03:24 PM

"He should be groomed for the wing. I hate playing people out of position but...
He is crazy good getting forward. We need Modric to be on the left center midfield to take advantage of bale beating players past the gain line."

That was during his dark days and that thread was from 2010! The start of that year was when he could not win a game. You could not find anyone on forums that backed Bale more than me. 2 years before forums started to throw up threads asking for him to be on the wing I was saying the same thing. I also predicted where Modders would end up for us in the same thread. He was being played all over the place back then.

Townsend is no Bale. Never will be.

10 goals and assists is misleading. That is 4 goals, and 6 assists in a shit league playing over 30 games. That is pretty average for that level.

One of his goals for Yeovil pretty much sums him up for me...Remember I said he is head down and go for it?

How could anyone think his brand of play would work in a fluid system? He's about as poor an example of heads up brand of football we have at the club.

He played in 4 different teams in that season and for each team put in a few top notch performances, also on his brief spell back at Spurs he won man of the match against Charlton. To expect his play to be fluid though with 4 different teams is unbelievably unfair.

Also did the watch the clip you sent? It was scored for Leyton Orient against Yeovil. Mistakes like that really don't credit your argument.

Sure:
http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/ind...s-a-full-back-etc-blah-blah-blah.60131/page-2

Ole Gibbsy in 06-09-2008, 03:24 PM

"He should be groomed for the wing. I hate playing people out of position but...
He is crazy good getting forward. We need Modric to be on the left center midfield to take advantage of bale beating players past the gain line."

That was during his dark days and that thread was from 2010! The start of that year was when he could not win a game. You could not find anyone on forums that backed Bale more than me. 2 years before forums started to throw up threads asking for him to be on the wing I was saying the same thing. I also predicted where Modders would end up for us in the same thread. He was being played all over the place back then.

Townsend is no Bale. Never will be.

I'm sorry, it was hardly revolutionary what you were suggesting. Everyone also saw Bale was brilliant going forwards, everyone also saw though that we were short on left backs. We didn't have much choice. Again Modric playing left cm was hardly unexpected as he'd played left mid before that.

I'd also appreciate a link to the thread where you said those things as opposed to a link to a thread where you claimed you said those things.

Last edited:
You've actually managed to destroy your own arguement by bringing Walcott into the discussion as he's a few years ahead of Townsend and in his first 3/4 seasons at L'Arse his return was poor.

It was still way better than Townsends return! And I have only destroyed my argument if having a poor start to a career instantly means he will be scoring and assisting for fun a few seasons later. How is that even an argument when they are different players?

And last season, he was only a YEAR older than Townsend.

I will say this, he can't possibly be any worse. By the law of averages, him taking 55 prem shots and not scoring from any of them is mind boggling. What a waste! No wonder Soldado was a frustrated disaster with Townsend thinking more about the world cup and personal gain than his TEAM effort.

Trust me, it takes a lot more than your retarded musings to make me rant. Don't give yourself that much credit.

Answer this simple question to end this once and for all. Are the following examples sound equations?

0/40 = 0
0/20,000 = 0
0/1,562,489 =0

Yes or no?

No, actually it didn't because that article was ranked by shots taken. If you look at the numbers based upon shot accuracy or goal/shot ratio, he's not worst.

That would be an unfair comparison and is the same reason why I didn't include our own defenders.

Seriously, you can just admit you're wrong. You can stop all of this now, you don't have to keep up this facade that you are the smartest, best Spurs fans who can point out any number of "See! I told you so!!" types of posts. They just scream of desperation to some semblance of respectability to some of your inane comments.

They are not equations. You can't divide by zero.

http://mathwithbaddrawings.com/2013/05/07/why-cant-you-divide-by-zero/

Are you really this thick? You do understand that numerators and denominators are different, right? Of course you don't, otherwise you wouldn't have linked me to something that is clearly showing why 0 cannot be a denominator, when I was clearly referencing equations where 0 was the numerator.

:paulinhofacepalm:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/math/what-are-numerators-and-denominators

Are you really this thick?

NO GOAL = pointless exercise UNTIL Bentaleb reaches Townsends denominator of 55. 55 shots at goal. If he fails to score, you win the argument.

Only then can you claim his goals to shot ratio is worse. This is a classic case of you selecting a player with less games, in a more defensive position, who has had less than a quarter of the shots of Townsend to try and get one up on me. Cherry picking.

ILSpur ILSpur - what we need to do is get a goalkeeper who never makes a save. ever.

By what we should refer to as "Gibbon's Law", he would never be eligible to have his ability questioned, as you couldn't "divide" said fictitious GK's saves by zero..

(unsure as to whether Gibb's understands what 'diving by zero' means, of course)

Equally, Steffen Freund and Scotty P can never be questioned as midfielders in this way, as they never scored for Spurs either....

NO GOAL = pointless exercise UNTIL Bentaleb reaches Townsends denominator of 55. 55 shots at goal. If he fails to score, you win the argument.

Only then can you claim his goals to shot ratio is worse. This is a classic case of you selecting a player with less games, in a more defensive position, who has had less than a quarter of the shots of Townsend to try and get one up on me. Cherry picking.

I'm truly in awe. Awe at the level of mental gymnastics and defiance of basic mathematics and statistics you need to go through to justify your inability to admit that you may, just possibly be wrong about something. We all do it, we're all wrong and need to admit it. For example, I once thought that you mightbe a reasonable person, hell at least someone who understood basic division! Alas, i was wrong.

See! It's that simple. Fuck, you couldn't even acknowledge that your last shitpile of a post was retarded and lacking a total understanding of basic math.

CJJ CJJ

Fucking genius, it all makes sense to me now!

I think you need to use reverse statistics on this one.

100% of Bentaleb's attempts on goal (17/17) have not resulted in a goal.

97.3% of Townsend's attempts on goal (72/74) have not resulted in a goal.

3 of Townsend's 781 passes have resulted in a goal (assist) - 0.4%
1 of Bentaleb's 852 passes has resulted in a goal (assist) - 0.1%

Of course this isn't a praising or damning of any player, purely an exercise to show that players should not be judged on goals and assists, as they contribute to a system defined by a manager. Contributing towards utter shit, mainly, with no purpose or structure.

As a result, if the players look like shit it's probably through design.

gibbs131

One of the primary reasons we use statistics is because numerators and denominators almost never match. The easiest and best way to compare these is by way of percentages. Let's be realistic, the chance that at some point their number of games, shots, and shots on goal all match is next to zero.

Your reasoning is flawed and your position untenable. I would say that if I ever see you throw out any stats to compare players, you'd better damn well make sure that all numbers match or you'll never hear the end of it. That being said, all you do it spout unfounded bullshit, so we don't have to worry about it.

I'm truly in awe. Awe at the level of mental gymnastics and defiance of basic mathematics and statistics you need to go through to justify your inability to admit that you may, just possibly be wrong about something.

Townsend. 55 shots. 1 goal. (a scuffed cross)

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...fifty-efforts-spurs-and-norwich-men-two-of-t/

"Andros Townsend, Phillipe Coutinho and Ross Barkley are three of the most wasteful forwards in the Premier League."

Hmmm...Seems strange they did not list Bentaleb. Perhaps it's because he's not a forward? Or could be the lack of mins. Or could be the lack of shots. Oh wait...My brain just kicked in. That is a list of GOALS TO SHOTS RATIO. Not NO GOALS to shots ratio. Derp.

97.3% of Townsend's attempts on goal (72/74) have not resulted in a goal.

Ugh...That is an absolute disgrace. Thanks for that info.

Wait. You said attempt on goal. His goal was not an attempt on goal. It was a cross.

You may want to edit your post since it wasn't a goal attempt.

Back
Top Bottom