Amazingly yes, it can be worse

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

x9QBG.gif

why can't you all just get along man.

Speculation and knowledgeable assumption are different things.

He'd have binned us like a female Chinese newborn.
Yes they are and unless you were party to Harry's most innermost thoughts at the time, you are speculating. The other three were factually shittily behaved. What they did actually happened.

Yes they are and unless you were party to Harry's most innermost thoughts at the time, you are speculating. The other three were factually shittily behaved. What they did actually happened.
Fine, man.

If you want to let Harry off the hook on that basis, I ain't gonna change your opinion for shit.

But I don't forgive him for what he did that season no more than Sammy or you don't forgive the other 3.

Fine, man.

If you want to let Harry off the hook on that basis, I ain't gonna change your opinion for shit.

But I don't forgive him for what he did that season no more than Sammy or you don't forgive the other 3.
How about I agree that out of the four, Harry is fourth on the Cock Scale. He'd have probably fucked us, but the other three definitely did.

I think he would have quit, yes. But I KNOW the others basically went on strike. Harry didn't. He MAY have if forced to, but didn't. Pure speculation here.

A manager going on strike? That would have been a first, he wouldn't get the England if he went on strike.

Harry did a good job, but he was a master of his own, and eventually Spurs' downfall. No way should we have been ''down' to 4th that season. Harry lost focus, completely, a huge shame as there was never a way back at Spurs.

Who decided to open this particular can of worm?

Last edited:
Because he wasn't actually offered anything. Unlike the 3. If he would have, he'd have ''downed tools''.

You can't suggest, surely, if he'd been offered England and we'd refused to release him from his contract that he wouldn't have just quit on the spot. Not too dissimilar to the conduct of the other 3, is it?

Harry Redknapp being portayed as saintly is something I never thought I'd see.

EDIT - this is not a defence of Bale, Modric or Berbs but showing the hypocrisy of treating Redknapp as Jesus and the others as Judas.
at the risk of butting in
I'm not aware of anyone as portraying Harry as a saint
but I am aware of vitriolic and slanderous lies and bile being spewed on the guy by lots of people.
My biggest gripe is the way he is demonised, and then abused and belittled.
Some people make up monstrous and unprovable lies and innuendo about the guy.
Why? The only reason I can think of, was because he was totally honest and said he though that the national coach position was the pinnacle of a managers career. Its hardly a leap of faith to say that he would have handed his notice in if he had been offered the job.
The only reason I stick up for him, isn't because I like what he did - its because of all the lies and bollocks that are talked about him - just because he wasn't a die hard Spurs fan (like us) who would die for the cause.
But you can't accuse him of doing what the 3 players did, because he didn't walk away to get what he wanted.
I'm more annoyed at him for being an arrogant wanker and doing his contract negotiation publicly, and getting himself sacked.

Yeh there were great times, other fans where jealous of us at points for the way we played but the players/manager are gone by and large and its just memories now.

Still some really great performances this season against arse and chavs, need to do it more though.
Those two performances were the best we've seen in a long time, we know a lot of the squad are mid-table quality at best but Poch really got the best out of them in those games. Two games a season is not enough but it's hopefully something small to build on.

A manager going on strike? That would have been a first, he wouldn't get the England if he went on strike.

Harry did a good job, but he was a master of his own, and eventually Spurs' downfall. No way should we have been ''down' to 4th that season. Harry lost focus, completely, a huge shame as there was never a way back at Spurs.

Who decided to open this particular can of worm?
You're right, but IMO the sacking comes down to Levy's relationship with him. He had done enough in his time at Spurs to be forgiven for what had happened. Let's face it, if Chelsea had lost that game there was no way he could have been sacked. A successful manager is too precious a thing to be thrown away so easily. Ultimately Harry might not have succeeded but he deserved one more season.

at the risk of butting in
I'm not aware of anyone as portraying Harry as a saint
but I am aware of vitriolic and slanderous lies and bile being spewed on the guy by lots of people.
My biggest gripe is the way he is demonised, and then abused and belittled.
Some people make up monstrous and unprovable lies and innuendo about the guy.
Why? The only reason I can think of, was because he was totally honest and said he though that the national coach position was the pinnacle of a managers career. Its hardly a leap of faith to say that he would have handed his notice in if he had been offered the job.
The only reason I stick up for him, isn't because I like what he did - its because of all the lies and bollocks that are talked about him - just because he wasn't a die hard Spurs fan (like us) who would die for the cause.
But you can't accuse him of doing what the 3 players did, because he didn't walk away to get what he wanted.
I'm more annoyed at him for being an arrogant wanker and doing his contract negotiation publicly, and getting himself sacked.
Eskimo Eskimo and sammyspurs sammyspurs to name two that do.

I'm not saying he's on the level of those 3, just calling out the hypocrisy of destroying the reps of them whilst holding Redknapp on a pedestal. He would have left us just as they would.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

EDIT - Redknapp nuthuggers go on and on about his achievements and use it as a point to big him up, yet will still demonise Bale or Modric or Berbs for leaving without acknowledging what they did and say they'd never have them back.

Former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has told Sky Sports’ Fantasy Football Club that he believed he was to be the new England boss whilst at Spurs.

Interviewed last Friday on the show, Redknapp told them: “even Daniel Levy thought for sure I was going to be getting the job.

“First I knew that I didn’t have it, we (Tottenham) were playing at home on the Sunday, we’d won 3-0, I’m sure Gareth Bale ran a muck as usual.

“I was in the car and suddenly it came on the radio that Roy Hodgson had been announced as the England manager.”

Redknapp continued to say that he would have taken the job, despite having been at Tottenham.

The former QPR boss told Sky: “it would have been hard to turn it down. When your country offers you the job how can you say no. It would have been impossible.”

However, the ex-Spurs boss said he could have seen himself staying at the North London club for many years: “I could see myself staying there (Tottenham) for a fair time. They were talking then at the time about offering me a new 3-4 year contract.”

Enjoying much success during his time at Spurs, Redknapp continued to reveal details about why Daniel Levy chose to sack him from the role he had occupied for 4 years.

Redknapp said: “I don’t think Daniel had a reason (for sacking him). I think they always felt they wanted to go down the road of having a director of football.

“They brought in AVB or whatever it is, Villas-Boas. I should have called myself HJR really it would have made me sound more clever.

“Anyway AVB came in, they brought in Baldini to buy the players and that’s how they saw the club going. That’s what Daniel wanted to do.”

Former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has told Sky Sports’ Fantasy Football Club that he believed he was to be the new England boss whilst at Spurs.

Interviewed last Friday on the show, Redknapp told them: “even Daniel Levy thought for sure I was going to be getting the job.

“First I knew that I didn’t have it, we (Tottenham) were playing at home on the Sunday, we’d won 3-0, I’m sure Gareth Bale ran a muck as usual.

“I was in the car and suddenly it came on the radio that Roy Hodgson had been announced as the England manager.”

Redknapp continued to say that he would have taken the job, despite having been at Tottenham.

The former QPR boss told Sky: “it would have been hard to turn it down. When your country offers you the job how can you say no. It would have been impossible.”

However, the ex-Spurs boss said he could have seen himself staying at the North London club for many years: “I could see myself staying there (Tottenham) for a fair time. They were talking then at the time about offering me a new 3-4 year contract.”

Enjoying much success during his time at Spurs, Redknapp continued to reveal details about why Daniel Levy chose to sack him from the role he had occupied for 4 years.

Redknapp said: “I don’t think Daniel had a reason (for sacking him). I think they always felt they wanted to go down the road of having a director of football.

“They brought in AVB or whatever it is, Villas-Boas. I should have called myself HJR really it would have made me sound more clever.

“Anyway AVB came in, they brought in Baldini to buy the players and that’s how they saw the club going. That’s what Daniel wanted to do.”

Some fans be lapping that up like girls spotting cum in an Essex dogging lot.

You're right, but IMO the sacking comes down to Levy's relationship with him. He had done enough in his time at Spurs to be forgiven for what had happened. Let's face it, if Chelsea had lost that game there was no way he could have been sacked. A successful manager is too precious a thing to be thrown away so easily. Ultimately Harry might not have succeeded but he deserved one more season.

Too much going on behind the scenes, and personal relationships are a part of what makes a good football team. It's not like Levy is blameless here, Spurs directors have been ruining it for Spurs since the double. Levy probably is less the devil compared to many of them.

Last edited:
Eskimo Eskimo and sammyspurs sammyspurs to name two that do.

I'm not saying he's on the level of those 3, just calling out the hypocrisy of destroying the reps of them whilst holding Redknapp on a pedestal. He would have left us just as they would.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

EDIT - Redknapp nuthuggers go on and on about his achievements and use it as a point to big him up, yet will still demonise Bale or Modric or Berbs for leaving without acknowledging what they did and say they'd never have them back.
Really?
I'd have them all back, including Berbs even now.
I would probably be prepared to have his babies, but I think I'm past childbearing age.

I wouldn't have Harry back though, simply because I think he's not good enough. He was at the time, but I think it was a purple patch. Having said that, it was probably the only time in his managerial career when he had a squad with 2 or 3 really good players in it.

(I hate doing this.............)
Just think what we would be like, if we had kept Berbatov, Bale, Modric, Carrick and Raziak?
(one may not be serious)

Back
Top Bottom