Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It wasn't just money, he wanted to play for United and matching the price wouldn't have been enough. He wanted the move and the prestige of playing for them. I understand that people want to have a favorable memory for him, but don't reinvent history to do it.
you know that for a fact?
you were at the club at the time?

I'm capable of deciding on what my reasons are for looking back favourably on a players time at this club without inventing anything thank you.
he's a merc, he wanted money

I don't see how anyone can hate Berbatov for wanting to move to united. He deserved to be winning titles and playing with the best players in the league... not hoping for the champions league with Tom Huddlestone. Would you expect a bulgarian to show loyalty to and employer in London in any other circumstance?
It's a while ago and wounds heal to a degree. But I seem to recall his attitude did Jol no favours in 07/08 season that was wrong, and then the refusal to play in 08/09 when Keane had already fucked off was & is totally wrong as is the way his departure was handled ( by him / United & Spurs )

Ultimately he was well valued, well paid & supported by Spurs, yet sold his soul to get to United...i'd never want to see Beratoss back at Spurs, but I do recognise how good he was. But refusing to play is just not on ( Boro away in 08 still makes me cross )

As for Ade, well the word "Waster" sums him up. Shame

I'm capable of deciding on what my reasons are for looking back favourably on a players time at this club without inventing anything thank you.

You may as well change that last statement to "he's a footballer, he wanted money".

Of course money was an important part as we were never going to be able to match United, they'll blow us out of the water. He joined one of the most reputable clubs in the world and played champions league football / won title(s). That will also play a big role in attracting top footballers.

I loved Berbatov and how good he was. He even made Robbie Keane look like a £20m footballer (Cheers Liverpool) but I can see there was more to his move than just financial benefit. He left in a bit of a shit way but he's 100x more likable than dear old Ade. And he scored at the Emirates last season.

You may as well change that last statement to "he's a footballer, he wanted money".

Of course money was an important part as we were never going to be able to match United, they'll blow us out of the water. He joined one of the most reputable clubs in the world and played champions league football / won title(s). That will also play a big role in attracting top footballers.

I loved Berbatov and how good he was. He even made Robbie Keane look like a £20m footballer (Cheers Liverpool) but I can see there was more to his move than just financial benefit. He left in a bit of a shit way but he's 100x more likable than dear old Ade. And he scored at the Emirates last season.
100%
of course he wanted the prestige and silverware as well
I'm just not embittered about it, he gave so much to us, and he made my heart pump watching him play

the fucking mancs didn't even appreciate him, and ferguson didn't make the best use of him.
what an absolute artist

Are Villa really going to pay the whole lump of his £100k pw wages? That's what I have heard. If that's true that would make him the highest paid player at Villa, and he's on loan!
Now, if I was say Vlaar that would upset me a bit.
That astounds me as I am not sure even Benteke was on £100k a week.
So, what can we expect from him at Villa. What are they going to offer him if he indeed does well and is a free agent next season?
He is worth less than the £5m we paid for him, so will they really save money on a fee by giving him a contract for say 3 yrs with £15.6m in salary.
Even a 2 yr contract will cost them £10m.
Do they believe that he can do a job for £5m for one year? If that's the case why have they bought Ayew and supposedly after Gestede? Gabby is still there too.

Are Villa really going to pay the whole lump of his £100k pw wages? That's what I have heard. If that's true that would make him the highest paid player at Villa, and he's on loan!
Now, if I was say Vlaar that would upset me a bit.
That astounds me as I am not sure even Benteke was on £100k a week.
So, what can we expect from him at Villa. What are they going to offer him if he indeed does well and is a free agent next season?
He is worth less than the £5m we paid for him, so will they really save money on a fee by giving him a contract for say 3 yrs with £15.6m in salary.
Even a 2 yr contract will cost them £10m.
Do they believe that he can do a job for £5m for one year? If that's the case why have they bought Ayew and supposedly after Gestede? Gabby is still there too.
I'm not sure Vlaar would give a massive shit. He doesn't play for Villa anymore.

I still think it'll be a loan - makes the most sense for Villa.

Sign him up on loan as a stopgap for this season, and maybe re-visiting signing him up permanently for free the following season if he's had a decent enough season. Remember, he'll be 32 in February - so he's not exactly a spring chicken anymore...

yeah
but the magic he could do was purity
all we had to do was match the price, and we couldn't/wouldn't

that man was a god in football boots, and I'm happy to remember what he did for us, rather that wallow in bitterness about a departure that we all knew was going to happen.

Sulzeer however - can rot in a world of shite

I'm amazed that Berbatov gets more stick that Robbie Keane for the way he left.

ah - but Berbs didn't always want to play for Manure when he was just a little kid
wee Robbie did (for Livvapewel)

I suspect that its like most human reaction, when you want something SOOOOBAD, when it goes wrong, it makes you unreasonably way more pissed off than when something you don't really care about goes bad.

Most of us knew that Keane was effort and energy over substance and quality, so when his batteries started to run flat, we were fucking delighted when liverpool spunked up the money.

Gormless fuckers didn't realise that it was Berbs that made him look good

Keane's punishment was righteous when it came. The bin dippers kicked him out & when he came back the overall apathy towards him was so "intense" as to be a weekly reminder that betrayal is not forgiven. Keane was our hero, he came back & no one treated him like a hero & that was justified. The poor fucker even ended up a West Ham loan player and NO ONE gave a shit. It was like everyone stopped caring, which is actually one hell of a punishment !

By all means, do whatever is convenient for you, but don't attempt to try and revise history so you feel better about it.

Spurs will not pursue their complaint to the Premier League accusing United of chasing 27-year-old Berbatov.

"Joining United is a dream come true. I look forward to playing my part in helping this club win more honours," he told the Old Trafford side's website."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7592272.stm

The Bulgarian international's future, a regular source of speculation during Spurs' poor start to the season, was made uncertain again when his agent, Emil Dantchev, was quoted as saying that the 26-year-old would like to leave if a club that "corresponds to Dimitar's class and ambition comes in with an offer that suits his current club in January".
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2287672/Chelsea-to-test-Spurs-resolve-on-Berbatov.html

However, Berbatov's father Ivan last night told Bulgarian television: "My son doesn't feel happy at Tottenham any more and wants to leave."

The striker's agent Emil Dantchev and Ivan Berbatov flew into London from Sofia following that interview for more talks with Tottenham chiefs.

Reports in the Daily Mirror claim a close friend of Berbatov has said: "Dimitar is telling everyone he doesn't want to stay and would like to leave in January.

"He feels he made a mistake in the summer by not asking the club to sell him when Manchester United were interested."

The striker's agent Emil Dantchev and Ivan Berbatov flew into London from Sofia following that interview for more talks with Tottenham chiefs.

Reports in the Daily Mirror claim a close friend of Berbatov has said: "Dimitar is telling everyone he doesn't want to stay and would like to leave in January.

"He feels he made a mistake in the summer by not asking the club to sell him when Manchester United were interested."
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...--dad-sets-record-straight.html#ixzz3hP01hsIi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Berbatov, 27, has been constantly linked a move to Manchester United.

Spurs boss Ramos said: "I do not think he is focused enough. I do not feel he will be good for the dressing room."
Asked if that meant Berbatov was on his way out of the club Poyet shrugged and said: "What can I say? I think the best thing is to wait to 1 September.

"There is nothing to hide. We talked to him, like Juande said, the other day and he was not in the right condition to play - I think you say in England, 'not in the right frame of mind'.

"That's the situation, everybody knows, there's nothing we can do."

The Bulgarian has stated it would be his "dream" to move but United are believed to have had a £20.5m bid rejected for the player.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/7578718.stm

Levy claimed that the Bulgarian striker twice refused to play for the club in August, and also criticised the level of 'player power' in the game.

"We had a player in Berbatov who had refused to play two games for us, having a detrimental affect on the dressing-room," he said.

"We'd known for a year that the player wanted out of this club.

"The reality is that in modern football the players have all the power."

Levy said last week that he felt no choice but to sell Robbie Keane in the summer, so he could fulfil his boyhood dream, but, when it came to Berbatov he said the club had just felt let down.
"Dimitar Berbatov was a player who we brought to this club at a time when Man United were interested in him. He made a conscious decision to come to this club, we invested a lot of money, nobody had ever heard of Dimitar Berbatov when we bought him.

"A year later with 10 days to go to the end of the window he tells us he wants to leave to go to Manchester United. We were very disappointed."

Levy also said he thought Berbatov's treatment of the club was disgraceful, and that would not even consider discussing the possibility of a new contract, insisting that playing for Manchester United was his ultimate goal.

"I don't think he treated this club with the respect that we honestly deserved, he said.

"We put him on the map, I think he's an outstanding player, but he signed a long-term contract with this club and I think he should have stayed.

"I had so many conversations with him. He kept saying it was about his ambition to play for Manchester United. It wasn't a money issue. We offered him a new contract and he wasn't even interested in discussing it."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...v-was-sold-to-Manchester-United-Football.html

Robbie doesn't get stick? His name doesn't get brought up without a "boyhood club" comment along or right after it.

The thing is that he just left the club, Berba threw a tantrum and didn't give a shit what happened to the club due to his actions.

I love Ribbie Keane still, and I'm pretty sure the last person to make he boyhood club joke on here was me!

I absolutely adore berbatov still, I know he left in a bad way, but my god was that man beautiful to watch.

So effortless in his play, I remember other teams fans laughing as he never seemed to run anywhere, he didn't have too, he was already in the right pace.

Wait, what's this thread about again?
Fuck Adebyour, he can rot wherever

Back
Top Bottom