Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Part of his undoing is that he has proved himself to be a fairly efficient defensive midfielder

Defensive stats in all areas contradict that. You just see him running alongside players and think that is tracking back. It's not. He isn't stopping shit coming down the wings and he does not funnel attackers into safer areas.

Defensive stats in all areas contradict that. You just see him running alongside players and think that is tracking back. It's not. He isn't stopping shit coming down the wings and he does not funnel attackers into safer areas.
do me a favour pal, take your stats, and shove them up your arse. You might need heat maps and statistical analysis to tell you how good a player is, but I just use my eyes and watch what they do in a game.
Football is a sport, its not a science that can predict or accurately analyse what happened in a game, based on an individuals heat map or passing success stats.
So keep your buzzwords and sky sport analysis and pleasure yourself with them.

do me a favour pal, take your stats, and shove them up your arse. You might need heat maps and statistical analysis to tell you how good a player is, but I just use my eyes and watch what they do in a game.
Football is a sport, its not a science that can predict or accurately analyse what happened in a game, based on an individuals heat map or passing success stats.
So keep your buzzwords and sky sport analysis and pleasure yourself with them.

Got it. Him losing over 80% of headers is in no shape or form relevant to my Soft Spurs argument. Lennon not making many significant defensive actions has no bearing on Soft Spurs? Us getting ripped to shreds down the wings has no bearing on my opinion?

When you use your eyes, and he disappears for 30 mins and avoids the game, what is the secret. Hell sometimes it's even worse if he tries hard. He makes Cardiff look like Barca.

Lennon is the type of players that Sherwood HAS TO TELL TO PLAY WELL. Unless it is a glamor match he'll go through the motions, then he'll be off to Leeds to get shitfaced.

Thing about Lennon is this:

If he went to Liverpool or Utd, he'd be a player I'd worry about us playing. Can score, run and isn't as bad of a crosser as this season makes him out to be.

For some reason I thought he was around 30. Don't know why that is. Since I now know he's 26 (27 tomorrow in fact), I'm willing to give him a little more patience - he's been decent in the past, perhaps he has struggled with the changes this season and is still boggled by AVB's tactics and Tim's anti-tactics.

Could yet prove decent under good management?
Given that a lot of players only really hit their stride in the 26 - 30 period of their play, I'm astounded to hear anyone who would want him replaced, on ability alone.

We can only hope that the right manager will help. I seem to recall when he was younger at the club he spent a lot of time with edgar davids learning from him, and consequently improved, so imagine what a focused manager can get from him.

i0bl85MpjJS2J.gif

Got it. Him losing over 80% of headers ............
came to you in a moment of enlightenment did it, that this 5'6" player doesn't win too many headers.
You must feel thoroughly vindicated.

I always wondered why we didn't have him on the penalty spot when we win corners.
don't bother coming back to me - or trying to argue with me, I can't be bothered with your glib arguments or witless inanities.
Ignore

I'd hope you're not seriously comparing the two?

Idea being that Lennon is very effective as a pace player, much like owen was to an extent. He's completely ineffective in a side that keeps him on the wing in a team that politely waits for the opposition to get back in formation before we cross or attack.

I'd hope you're not seriously comparing the two?

Idea being that Lennon is very effective as a pace player, much like owen was to an extent. He's completely ineffective in a side that keeps him on the wing in a team that politely waits for the opposition to get back in formation before we cross or attack.

Lennon is not the only average player to score against scum.

He's currently a failed winger and now you want him to stink up/soften up the strike force?

And why ignore the fact that the pace a year ago was dwindling, ESP for 90 mins. Owen actually adds evidence that your opinion is wrong. His pace went and he was a shadow of his former self too REGARDLESS where you played him. And btw, Sherwood tried that recently and he was fkn terrible at it.

But I know what you are doing. I had this all season on Vital Spurs re Townsend when arguments go tits up after time.

"Townsends not playing in his best position...He should be inverted." Then he's inverted and fails. "Townsend is not in his best position...He should be on the left." Then he's put on the left. Fails so bad now he's on the bench.

Last edited:
Lennon is not the only average player to score against scum.

He's currently a failed winger and now you want him to stink up/soften up the strike force?

And why ignore the fact that the pace a year ago was dwindling, ESP for 90 mins.

And btw, Sherwood tried that recently and he was fkn terrible at it.

I wasn't suggesting he play elsewhere but the wing, but his downfall has coincided with the loss of Bale - he played a similar role to the one Bale had on the left wing and did well in that position.

I firmly believe that the loss of ability and form of all of our players, Lennon included, is a combination of the management and coaching that the players are subjected to right now. I've asked before but didn't get a solid answer, but is there a single coaching badge between our coaching staff? Sherwood & Ferdinand were tea boys under Redknapp, Freund is a peripheral outcast currently it seems, not a clue what Ramsey's history is tbh

Got it. Him losing over 80% of headers is in no shape or form relevant to my Soft Spurs argument. Lennon not making many significant defensive actions has no bearing on Soft Spurs? Us getting ripped to shreds down the wings has no bearing on my opinion?

When you use your eyes, and he disappears for 30 mins and avoids the game, what is the secret. Hell sometimes it's even worse if he tries hard. He makes Cardiff look like Barca.

Lennon is the type of players that Sherwood HAS TO TELL TO PLAY WELL. Unless it is a glamor match he'll go through the motions, then he'll be off to Leeds to get shitfaced.

He's five foot midget ffs, of course he's going to lose 80% of headers, because 90% of the other players in the prem are taller than him. So one could easily interpret that he's doing 10% better than he should be.

This is the problem with stats, they don't tell a story people interpret them as they see fit.

Peter crouch probably 'wins' 80% of his headers, but most of them come to nothing so what does that stat tell anyone? diddly squat.

This 'soft spurs' (which I would pre-suppose is a term you have created for your own benefit) could be attributed to a myriad of reasons, some of which any one of us can mention but that no-one will ever really be able to speak definitively with any authority about because people are complicated things. Stats lie, people lie, people are inspirations and people are stupid.

You are casting assertions on one of our players, I dislike that notion. I equally object to your equation of 80% losing headers = not trying = needs to be told to try = would rather be going and getting shitfaced. Because ostensibly you are taking a pure isolated stat and bending it to fit 'your truth'. That is the domain of 8 year olds, politicians and internet dunces.

He's five foot midget ffs, of course he's going to lose 80% of headers, because 90% of the other players in the prem are taller than him. So one could easily interpret that he's doing 10% better than he should be.

This is the problem with stats, they don't tell a story people interpret them as they see fit.

Peter crouch probably 'wins' 80% of his headers, but most of them come to nothing so what does that stat tell anyone? diddly squat.

This 'soft spurs' (which I would pre-suppose is a term you have created for your own benefit) could be attributed to a myriad of reasons, some of which any one of us can mention but that no-one will ever really be able to speak definitively with any authority about because people are complicated things. Stats lie, people lie, people are inspirations and people are stupid.

You are casting assertions on one of our players, I dislike that notion. I equally object to your equation of 80% losing headers = not trying = needs to be told to try = would rather be going and getting shitfaced. Because ostensibly you are taking a pure isolated stat and bending it to fit 'your truth'. That is the domain of 8 year olds, politicians and internet dunces.

+1

Also, Harry Kane is the one person in the team that I can think of that I've seen win a header. Says something...

(probably that I'm not paying enough attention)

He's five foot midget ffs, of course he's going to lose 80% of headers

Thanks. He weakens us from an aspect we are having trouble with. Open season on the flanks because we have players that could play for the under 12's girl side if you put wigs on them.

If you are going to weaken the team, you better have something else in your locker. Some of his peers in the top 4 are scoring and creating as much in a week than he does this season.

I wasn't suggesting he play elsewhere but the wing, but his downfall has coincided with the loss of Bale - he played a similar role to the one Bale had on the left wing and did well in that position.

I firmly believe that the loss of ability and form of all of our players, Lennon included, is a combination of the management and coaching that the players are subjected to right now. I've asked before but didn't get a solid answer, but is there a single coaching badge between our coaching staff? Sherwood & Ferdinand were tea boys under Redknapp, Freund is a peripheral outcast currently it seems, not a clue what Ramsey's history is tbh
tbf, sherwood supposedly shone during his fifa pro licence training. There are many who hold that in itself in high regards, then there are those for whom experience counts.

+1

Also, Harry Kane is the one person in the team that I can think of that I've seen win a header. Says something...

(probably that I'm not paying enough attention)

We are in dire need of more power in the final third. Your suggestion: Lennon.

0.jpg

But lets call it what it is: lennon has failed this season, so you have to come up with a team position that has not been tried that often to continue the debate. It's moving the goal posts to avoid this whole wingers/wingbacks ruined our season debacle.

I agree. We are in dire need of more power in the final third. Your suggestion: Lennon.

0.jpg

I'm not suggesting he's the answer, but I also don't really see the point in having guys who can win headers on the wings. The wings are no place for slow players, and tall but pacey players are a rarity.

I don't really see heading as an issue or even a point worth looking at with our resident smurf, I'm more worried about the rest of the team being crap above the shoulder all season

Thanks. He weakens us from an aspect we are having trouble with. Open season on the flanks because we have players that could play for the under 12's girl side if you put wigs on them.

If you are going to weaken the team, you better have something else in your locker. Some of his peers in the top 4 are scoring and creating as much as he does in a week than he does a season.
wow, you really are blind to anything positive aren't you. He really isn't that bad a player. He's actually been quite good for us over the years as I recall, he was good enough to get us into europe, into 4th place twice and played well in the CL.

If I didn't know better I would call you out as an educated goon troll. But such things are a myth it can only assume that you were at the back of the que when the eyes were being handed out and ended up with some rejects, or are stupid, or you don't actually believe what you are writing and are doing so to be deliberately inflammatory.

Back
Top Bottom