a team& squad built for 6th/7th?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We'll need a season to bed in, 4th is pretty much beyond us unless we have luck with injuries. Another striker would definitely help, and a settled starting 11, and having players who can fill in of similar quality. I wanted Benteke, but that wouldn't guarantee us 4th.

It's a lot more difficult to finish in the top 4 compared to when Redknapp was at the helm, as the points tally has shown.
well I am glad you agree we need a better striker!

I agree about it being harder to get top 4 nowadays. that's why I disagree with people pointing out we got 4th with crouch upfront. times have changed a lot!

I agree with a lot of what you said. but if just need a striker to finish the puzzle, than surely you go out & get one?
Who? In January Benteke will no longer be injured other than that I can't think of any in our range. On deadline day the ITKunts said Tevez, he would be exactly what we need, but I very much doubt he'd come back without looking like a hypocrite.

Who? In January Benteke will no longer be injured other than that I can't think of any in our range. On deadline day the ITKunts said Tevez, he would be exactly what we need, but I very much doubt he'd come back without looking like a hypocrite.

yeh tevez be great but not realistic.

you say who? but surely that's what we hire baldini & scouts for?

yeh tevez be great but not realistic.

you say who? but surely that's what we hire baldini & scouts for?
Eh, as someone who has done some scouting, most of the good players...... *cough* unless your a teenage prodigy you don't make it under the radar. There are often good strikers at the European (and by that I mean the Basels, Portos, Ajaxs of this world) but their players are frankly not worth the prices paid and any transfer is a big risk. It is all well saying that our club should take a risk but you try and convince any sensible person to risk £20+ million, Chelsea, United and City can do it because they could literally burn money and be all like 'fuck it!', we don't.

And while we hire Baldini and the scouts watching Eastern/Central European youth football is one of the most drab things I have ever done.

Out of all the players who score goals worth a gamble, this geezer in Croatia bagged himself many, Duge Cop. The thing with these guys is the clubs often try to get more (fine) but then the player ends up failing, remember that Greek guy who cost circa £14 million to Fulham and flopped big time.

Transfer news: Dinamo Zagreb striker Duje Cop attracting interest - Tottenham Hotspur News, Transfer Talk & Gossip | TEAMtalk

Still this guy, 24, 6,1, 37 goals in 44 games!

This video of him feels like a Gomes 'best of' montage

Last edited:
yes & we were unlucky to not score against Liverpool... oh, hang on a minute. we never looked like scoring.
It wasn't quite like that. We had a good chance just before half time. If that goes in, different story second half.
We were looking to build momentum, steadily but got sucker punched at the start of each half. Again it was poor defending that lost the game. We were chasing form the 8th minute and again after the break .
Football is about confidence. look at Dier against Sunderlands first goal. He hesitates to tackle (in the box), this is because he conceded the pen against Liverfools. Confidence.
There is a balance to reach which we will get there.

that's my point?! if you think 5th/6th is par then what do you think we need to finish top 4? a better striker by any chance?
Better team performance overall. There are teams above us that are looking better sides but have less quality players? We need to grow as a team with confidence then look at players positions and then decide who is not coping in this team?

Better team performance overall. There are teams above us that are looking better sides but have less quality players? We need to grow as a team with confidence then look at players positions and then decide who is not coping in this team?

We also have to seperate performance from result, we dicked Sunderland and should have won, even against Liverpool it wasn't a 3-0 game despite the fact we deserved to lose. The performances so far have not been too bad (Wet Spam aside) certainly compared to last season.

For me it's the lack of a World Class forward and the question marks surrounding certain defenders that will mean a lot of good performances this season won't translate into results. That is the difference between a top team and what we are, the very top teams are ruthless and can play average or bad and still win. That being said as I don't expect top 4 and I like Poch's style of play, I more than happy with the coming season, much more than last year but I do think what if we had signed a quality forward, how much further would we get.

If Bony continues his indifferent form we might be able to scoop him on the the cheap come January
We do that kind of thing, no problem.

It is the buy e.g. Anelka for a song, have him score goals for fun for a couple of years, then sell him for an absolute fortune and bring in Henry for less that we are not so crash hot on.

We also have to seperate performance from result, we dicked Sunderland and should have won, even against Liverpool it wasn't a 3-0 game despite the fact we deserved to lose. The performances so far have not been too bad (Wet Spam aside) certainly compared to last season.

For me it's the lack of a World Class forward and the question marks surrounding certain defenders that will mean a lot of good performances this season won't translate into results. That is the difference between a top team and what we are, the very top teams are ruthless and can play average or bad and still win. That being said as I don't expect top 4 and I like Poch's style of play, I more than happy with the coming season, much more than last year but I do think what if we had signed a quality forward, how much further would we get.
I agree with the performances having been good, there are good signs of team structure and balance.
I disagree with the "we need a world class striker' . You can say this about the scum but they will still finish top four. We need a CF that compliments our set up, a CF playing with confidence heading a team playing with confidence. We need to find , quickly a balanced back 4 . So they can grow in confidence . For me, it all comes back to team structure , a team playing with confidence. We need to be patience which you seem to agree. It's all about getting the balance right. Poch can achive pthis I'm sure.

that's my point?! if you think 5th/6th is par then what do you think we need to finish top 4? a better striker by any chance?
If we'd beaten the scum twice last year we'd have been 4th. A big if, I know, but it illustrates how important the 8 games against the top 4 are.

disagree. look at the difference with Chelsea having costa & how much they missed a top striker last year.

also, your say are forwards are adequate. surely 8th or 9th will be an adequate finish? I think we should be aiming higher than adequate. lets sell lloris & get rob green as he is an "adequate" keeper.

Yea but how long did it take Chelsea to get Costa. We simply can't afford to keep taking risks on strikers like they could. We essentially wasted 26m on Soldado which 3 seasons ago would have been our whole transfer budget nearly.

I don't think you understand the word adequate. The adequacy of a player is relative to the ambitions of a club. Adequate =/= Average.

Yea but how long did it take Chelsea to get Costa. We simply can't afford to keep taking risks on strikers like they could. We essentially wasted 26m on Soldado which 3 seasons ago would have been our whole transfer budget nearly.

I don't think you understand the word adequate. The adequacy of a player is relative to the ambitions of a club. Adequate =/= Average.
Settle for 2nd best and you end up 6th. Why can't we afford it? Everyone keeps telling me we're such a well run club, but our fans think we can't afford to buy a decent striker. Have we all turned into accountants? Buy a striker, win some games and stop going on about money that isn't ours (fans).

Settle for 2nd best and you end up 6th. Why can't we afford it? Everyone keeps telling me we're such a well run club, but our fans think we can't afford to buy a decent striker. Have we all turned into accountants? Buy a striker, win some games and stop going on about money that isn't ours (fans).

Before last summer a lot of fans thought all we needed was another striker so we went out and bought one. Another year on and we're still wanting a striker. It's a never ending cycle (or rarely ending cycle).
We can't afford to fail at buying a striker...or well another one at least.

You talk about fans discussing finance yet the only input youve given regards to the striker situation is "just buy one"..not nearly as simple as that considering we don't have CL and don't look like we'll have CL in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom