Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hugo's practically outfield anyway! So there's no legitimate reason to oppose the inevitable. I like Vertonghen but he is not the captain of Hugo Lloris.

Ideally I want a defender or CM to have it, but I have to go with Lloris because when you look at ability, age, experience, starting lineup prospects, respect/reputation, previous club form etc Lloris is on top hands down imo.

Prior to last year my pick would have been Vertonghen but I don't think he conducted himself in the manor a "future" captain of this club.

So it Lloris for me. His demeanour reminds me of Steve Perryman. His post match comments last year showed Sherwood how to do it.

Lloris for me. He has a presence on the pitch, not too rash seems calm.
Vertonghen not loud enough and last year looked too lazy.
Kaboul would be a good captain but it would be the same problem as having Dawson as captain, he wouldn't get into the first eleven if everyone were fit.

It should always be a CM or CD IMHO...
Anywhere else is a waste of positional responsibility....:llorishuh: ...yeah, you heard me!:llorisserious:

Has to be Hugo in my opinion, a leader of men and captain of his nation.

He is also a guaranteed starter, very vocal, commands respect from his fellow professionals and is probably our most consistent performer over the last two seasons.

Last edited:
It should be Hugo. Any other choice is just someone being contrary.

Exactly. Who in the team should be Hugo's captain? No one. He's blatantly the captain.

Edit - people talk about it has to be a cb and I get it, but Hugo is a big presence on the field, if I was up front even I'm sure if be very aware of him at the base of the team shouting out to teammates. It's also more than just someone shouting on the pitch, who in the dressing room is going to command respect, represent the team etc. Has to be Lloris IMO.

IMO, Hugo is the stand out candidate, for all the reasons stated already. The fact he's a goalie should make no difference - every player on the pitch should be a captain anyway.

I still think it should be an outfield player but Lloris is a phenom.

IMO the media hatchet job painted Jan in a poor light and fans lapped it up.

I think giving Lloris the armband is more of an appeasement than anything that would be useful if we are in the thick of it.

Kinda like a Ledders. I don't think he was a good captain even though he was our best player.

Lloris for me. He has a presence on the pitch, not too rash seems calm.
Vertonghen not loud enough and last year looked too lazy.
Kaboul would be a good captain but it would be the same problem as having Dawson as captain, he wouldn't get into the first eleven if everyone were fit.

Who exactly isn't fit that would cause Kaboul to lose his spot? Dier has played well against Spam and QPR, but let's not get carried away in thinking he's ready to supplant a healthy premier league vet in Kaboul. Throwing Dier into the fire so quickly could ruin what looks to be a promising career.

As for Fazio, I'm not buying into him until I see him play a premier league game. Personally, I'm a little skeptical about a 6'5 centerback slotting into our system seamlessly. I'm sure he can be a roleplayer, but again.. don't see him supplanting a fit Kaboul until he proves it, or Kaboul's form dips in a bad way.

Last edited:
Who exactly isn't fit that would cause Kaboul to lose his spot?
Chiriches, Vertonghen for me are dead certains above Kaboul, and at the moment I would prefer to see Dier than Kaboul on the team sheet. And I am sure that Fazio will surplant Kaboul.
I like Kaboul but I prefer our 4 other CBs to him.
Admittedly I don't know much about Fazio and will have to see him playing for us but my first XI centreback parntership would be Chiriches and Vertonghen.

I think it has to be Hugo. The lads look like they have bonded well enough, could you imagine if Schneiderlin comes in and gets the nod, or if Fazio gets it? That could seriously damage morale, suggesting that the existing crop aren't really up to it irrespective of whether they are or not. For me it has to be Lloris.

Or he could just give it to Dier if he scores on Sunday. ;)
Fonzy was the appointed captain of his old club!

Hugo, Hugo, Hugo!!!

Young players tend to want to impress their captain.

I think one raised Lloris eyebrow = equivalent of one 15 foot Kyle Walker knee slide celebration hug at the end of the game when it comes to a congratulatory pat on the back/motivation.

:llorisserious::llorishuh:
:freundgoal::freundgoal::freundgoal:
:walker-scream::walker-scream::walker-scream:

Back
Top Bottom