Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I definitely don't think he could step into the role tomorrow. But in a year? I think it's very possible. I've also been on enough teams to see a guy who you wouldn't have pegged for captain grow into the role and find a certain mentality that surprised people/even himself. Plus speaking from my own experience, people do a lot of maturing in their early 20s.

Either way, not really disagreeing with anyone. He's certainly not ready yet.

Beyond the obvious need for a LB and CB the next thing we need is a new leader. But availability and capturability are factors that probably mean we'll have to make do this season .

I want someone who will be at the club for the rest of his career and a first team starter.

Think that leaves Walker for me!

Only other possibilities are Vertonghen/Lloris but I cant see them hanging around for ever.

The way I see it:

Lloris: A great goalkeeper and a good captain. Don't think it's idealer with armband gk, but it's ok when he has the right attitude and personality, like Lloris.

Dawson: Captain material, but unfortunately not good enough for the first eleven in a 4 man back line.

Kaboul: Captain material, maybe, but needs to improve his game, work on his concentration, before he can be the boss.

Vertonghen: Showed terrible attitude last year, which people will feel disqualifies him. I think he's the kind of player who will grow if he feels he's being respected. If he commits, signing a new contract, and gets to play his position as a CB, I think he will be more focused and dedicated wearing the armband, giving us a good captain and a better Vertonghen. Thus, I would go for this alternative.

Rose: Haha, No!

Walker: To me he always sees to try hard. With the captaincy he would try too hard. He would become a less good player given that responsibility.

Lennon: Like Walker, Lennon is best served not having to worry about others besides himself. Better alternative than Walker, but still not a natural leader in any way.

Sandro: The clown of the team, not the leader. Meget mature as a person and player given the responsibility, but needs to play on a more regular basis.

Capoue: When he started playing for us, he immediately looked a guy who can lead the troops. Needs to consolidate himself in the team and squad though, before he can takk the captaincy.

Bentaleb: Far to young and inexperienced still, but maybe a guy for the job in the future?

Dembele: If he were to become a more consistent performing DM, they maybe. Another one that I feel would grow with the job.

Lamela/Holtby/Chadli: In the Lennon category, without the 9 years of faithful service.

Eriksen: Could lead by example, but does not seem like a natural leader.

Soldado: Seems like a good guy and mature person. Would have to improve and establish himself as one of our star players before he could think about captaincy though.

Adebayor: Seems to like being respected and listened to. Might perform better given the honor of the captaincy. Might make him try too hard though, giving us tackles like the one he was sent off for, losing our game against Arse two years back.

Kane: Depends where his career takets him. Not sure if he'd be a good fin though.

Is it me or is there any one else out there who thinks we need a new captain and possibly a new back 4 to stop us ending up mid table .

We don't need a complete back four. Mid table didn't happen last season and we have clearly targeted our defence this summer. Since Dawson shouldn't be anywhere near the first team we obviously need a new team captain. That isn't Lennon.

No Dawson: Our back three of Vertonghen, Walker and Davies does require an addition - whether that is Dier or someone else, Chiriches or Kaboul I don't know.

I'm hoping Daws will continue to be captain, and today's starting news has got my hopes up a little more.

Back four v West Ham - Walker Daws JV Davies is my hope
Daws as Captain?
no_michael_bluth.gif

I can't believe there have been so many differing opinions for this one. Look at what Hugo has done with France the past four years since he's been given the armband. Almost all of the old leaders from the prior French teams had left. No Henry, Abidal, Gallas, Anelka, Ribery, or Toulalan. Hugo took over that team and got them to play together. As for people arguing that keepers shouldn't be captains, I think recent examples like Buffon and Casillas show that its not a problem. Its really not even a contest for me, Hugo is the only choice IMO.

No question. It has to be Hugo. He has shown his belief in the club and were we all hope its heading by signing a contract extension within 2 weeks? after the end of The World Cup. A committed player in every sense that will lead by example. And has experience (27. France) on his CV for the job.

I,d love to see one of the worlds greatest (goalkeepers) players lead the side out.

COYS!

Hugo hands down, Jan as Vice. Unless Dawson starts which he might early on but come the end if the season Dawson won't be in the starting 11. I love the guy and he's been a great servant to the club but I just can't see his style of play fitting in as we transition to Poch's tactics etc.

I think we should reward the guy who came here, put up with not going straight in to the starting 11 - for reasons I actually agree with; Brad was doing well - stayed with us and signed a new contract after a less than fantastic season from a team of people who should be doing better.

Has to be Hugo Lloris. He's mobile, assured and brave. Everything I want in a leader.

Back
Top Bottom