Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

that's what i'm trying to say.
sorry if i didn't communicate well enough. i'm not English .
i tried to tell that, if we supposedly lack that raw leader talent, then we just should do what Portugal does, give the armband to the best player we have
Sorry mate, my mistake no need to apologise. Your english is fine, i just made an error. I think that we have players like hugo and verts who are captain material but so is dawson

Verts because he can lead by example .
via meloncholy
Tottenhams-Jan-Vertonghen-008.jpg

Well, seems like Spurs favorite thing to do is ship in ridiculous goals and wilt under the pressure of playing in a big game, so I expect we'll go ahead and play right into every other team's offensive hand by not only keeping Dawson, but handing him the armband again.

Really, though, I don't understand why no one on here wants to admit that Dawson just isn't up to snuff as a captain. A true captain would never let a squad fall apart like Spurs did last year. Coaches come and go-- a captain's job is to keep the players unified, not have them snarking off to the press or giving up twenty minutes into a match. All respect to Daws and the effort he's put in for ten years, but if we want CL football, he should neither be first choice nor our captain. I agree that it should be Hugo, maybe even Walker. Both seemed to be the only two players who played all season with their heads up.

Look all im saying is the whole dawson thing is like a beautiful woman.
We've had great times together, enjoyed eachothers company, bought eachother nice jewelry EG. the carling cup, but he hasnt bought me any more for years..we've just been living together too long now and im just not attracted anymore, (dosnt help when they're not performing if u know what i mean)...its time for us to both move on and look for some new meat.

You're all grown men, surely you can see where im coming from?

Look all im saying is the whole dawson thing is like a beautiful woman.
We've had great times together, enjoyed eachothers company, bought eachother nice jewelry EG. the carling cup, but he hasnt bought me any more for years..we've just been living together too long now and im just not attracted anymore, (dosnt help when they're not performing if u know what i mean)...its time for us to both move on and look for some new meat.

You're all grown men, surely you can see where im coming from?
No

Iker Cassilas has done alright for Spain and Real occasionally. Whenever I think of a captain I think Roy Keane, centre of the park, lead by example, knowledgeable and someone you wouldn't want to argue with. Obviously that's the ideal and not many teams have that figure anymore. The Maldini/King sort of captaincy is an ideal also, loved their club, respected and both world class. Kaboul can still be a great captain, the amount of games he accumalated toward the end of the season last year gives me hope that he can keep fit for the majority of next season, great player and he's been at the club long enough to understand the Spurs ethos, and unlike Dawson I think a fully fit Kaboul walks into our team, Kaboul if fit, Lloris if not.

What are pros and cons of Walker? He's been here a while, seems to love playing here. Everytime I watched last season he was playing hard and not giving up like some others. Also, I can see him staying for a while. At least I would want him to.

Don't know how vocal he is though. Maybe a little too silly as well(based on some SpursTV)?

What are pros and cons of Walker? He's been here a while, seems to love playing here. Everytime I watched last season he was playing hard and not giving up like some others. Also, I can see him staying for a while. At least I would want him to.

Don't know how vocal he is though. Maybe a little too silly as well(based on some SpursTV)?
That's a point, he should certainly be given a shout. He's completely dedicated, one of the better players on our team and will hopefully be here in the long run. I think he needs at least one year more experience, maybe he should be promoted to vice captain for this season? Then when Dawson retires/moves on Walker can take over the captaincy.

I think that's a bit like making a bloke the Forman 'cause he knows the place. Leadership is required. No problem with Walker at all but not a leader yet.

How many players do you see drop in performance when they are given too much to think about on the pitch... Love him but Walker is no multi-tasker :walker:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom