#35 - Writing on The Wall

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
With the season seemingly over, Spurs smash Sunderland for five leaving our mental arithmetics more exposed than Hugo Lloris. TFC editor Lombardi joins Spooky, Thelonious and Flav to discuss the slim chance of finishing above them lot, Sherwood leaving, Brazilian minions, bad days in Portsmouth and Adebayor. Windy swoops in and lays down some of his unique knowledge and we get the crux of clone etiquette.

Up the Spurs.

Download Episode

Subscribe on iTunes | Subscribe to RSS Feed | Stitcher

I've got to disagree with Flav over the Cattermole goal! All blame on that goal goes to Vlad IMO. Lloris' pass was fine and if Chiriches didn't mis-place the pass we'd have been fine.

Oh and that restaurant with the table as a computer is class. Inamo in Soho?

Edit: Typed that before you said it was in Soho and called Inamo :paulinhofacepalm:

Last edited:
badassmotherfuckerwallet1.jpg
Dear Mr Levys new logo?

On the learning the left back thing, Ashley Cole is not an exception - he could NOT defend until he was in his mid 20's. He was always a good attacking left back but his early England performances were a masterclass in bad positioning and lack of defensive awareness. At the time Woolwich were otherwise strong at the back and didn't give away possession much so it masked his deficiencies at club level, but I'd happily admit that by the time he was 25 Cole was as good a left back defensively as anyone else in the league.

The moral of the story is that attacking fullbacks look good if they're in a solid defensive unit, but in situations like ours you can't support two attacking fullbacks like Walker and Rose while there's issues in central defence and a lack of defensive duty in central midfield.

On the learning the left back thing, Ashley Cole is not an exception - he could NOT defend until he was in his mid 20's. He was always a good attacking left back but his early England performances were a masterclass in bad positioning and lack of defensive awareness. At the time Woolwich were otherwise strong at the back and didn't give away possession much so it masked his deficiencies at club level, but I'd happily admit that by the time he was 25 Cole was as good a left back defensively as anyone else in the league.

The moral of the story is that attacking fullbacks look good if they're in a solid defensive unit, but in situations like ours you can't support two attacking fullbacks like Walker and Rose while there's issues in central defence and a lack of defensive duty in central midfield.
On the LB thing i never mention Cole, that was T trolling. I mentioned Maldini and Shaw.

Both are examples of fullbacks who primarily are defenders first, that's why Maldini as he grew older moved centrally. The fullbacks that are more attacking by nature need time to learn the art of defending, Baines, Cole, Marcelo, Roberto carlos, cafu, Zambrotta etc.

We can support two attacking fullbacks, they just need to be better defensively, or we need a DM to help out. I remember Parker in his first season would often be spotted in the LB or RB covering a forward charging full back. For as much as i love sandro he doesn't have the discipline, or perhaps lack of attacking ambition a true dm should have.

If Tim Sherwood was spitroasting with his clone then he'd probably kick the bird out the door and start tossing himself off, followed by jizz being flung through the air by the ferocity of his salute at the end.

Another top podcast! I know the geezer who pulled off the suspect selfie stunt at Chelsea... Lord, there is no hope for my camera phone wielding generation.

Back
Top Bottom