3/10

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has anyone seen the Premier League fans' half time verdict on the Guardian today? They basically ask a load of bloggers and fans how the season as gone so far in their eyes, here's the Spurs extract.

Tottenham Hotspur – Dave Mason – Observer reader
3/10 I’m decidedly unhappy. We’re mentally and physically bankrupt, especially at home. Successive matches in September against FK Partizan away and WBA at home typified our approach. We used 21 different players in four days and managed one attempt on target in total. We’ve reached a stage where we ‘re grateful for a home point against Crystal Palace. There has been some recent excitement at Aston Villa and Hull but only after dreadful first halfs, and the reduction of the opposition to 10 men on both occasions. That is when we show our “class” and go into flat-track-bully overdrive. Surprisingly, when we went into the lead in those games, and at Swansea, there was an orgy of ecstatic celebration both times, as if it meant something to the players. Why can’t they show this level of passion from the start, all the time?

The stars Lloris has been outstanding, and Harry Kane, as in the old adage, makes his own luck through his unflagging efforts. Inject his work rate into the others and the crowd would respond well.

The flops. Strikers who don’t score; ineffective wide men (if you are Lennon or Townsend and you can’t get a regular start in this team, you need to take a good, long look at yourself); nine central-midfield players; and our ever-changing back four which is increasingly reminding me of the worst days of the mid-70s.

The manager Daniel Levy’s autobiography will be called “I’ve got an idea. There’s this new manager I’ve heard about …” He amazes me with his unerring ability to spot a manager who will under-perform. Pochettino is struggling. There is a lack of cohesion in selection and tactics and some puzzling substitutions. 3/10

Who would play him in a movie? Norman Wisdom. With a bit of luck Pochettino could be in the early stages of one of Wisdom’s films: a hapless oaf at the start who ends up achieving unlikely success.
What do people make of that then?! Was shocked at the negativity myself, although given the nature of some of the meltdowns on here maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. 3/10 is the lowest rating for any team in the league, joint with Villa and Leicester who are suffering decidedly poorer seasons, both without new managers. A couple of the comments were ridiculous too, especially considering the burgeoning Verts/Fazio partnership and the emergence of a decent midfield with Mason and Bentaleb playing well.

Would be interested to hear what mark you guys would give the squad at this point. To be honest, I think anyone who at the start of the season was willing to turn down 6th at Christmas with a run in the League Cup and progression in Europa should stick to FM. Of course there's some serious problems, but I'm feeling far more optimistic than I was at this point last year.

Ah the voice of a typical older Spurs customer, I have seen the 70's, I know better than the manager, it's not like it was in the good old days, we should be a top 4 side (I love the irony from the last two comments usually being so often used together).

I do hate this type of Spurs customer, I find their comments fucking embarrassing.

When was the review written? It's pretty desperate but there where times when we did look all at sea with no one really looking to give a fuck. That said the writers views are pretty extreme .

Takes all sorts I guess

Unbe-fucking-lievable.

Just for reference, I dug up the equivalent article from last year... you know, when we were in turmoil with that owl-faced twat in charge, having just been kicked out of the league cup by West Ham...
The fan verdict then? 5/10.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/22/premier-league-half-time-verdict-part-2

And guess what - it's not even a quirk of them getting different fan opinions. It's by the same guy, Dave Mason.
The Guardian continues to be the newspaper whose articles I often love, but my word it often feels like they're out to paint us as negatively as possible.

Last edited:
I reckon we're about 6/10 at the moment.

Still in all cup comps, still competitive in the league - we just need to balance our squad a bit more in January as our most effective formation 4231 / 4411 is over reliant on a few players being able to play two or three games in a week.

Seems to me like Poch has started to work out near to what his best 11 is - notice Fazio, Vertonghen, Bentaleb, Eriksen and Kane are now being set up as the 'spine' and he isn't messing around with the back 5 at all really.....

For ease of use, here are his quotes from then...

(2013-14 season)
Tottenham Hotspur - Dave Mason - Observer reader
5/10 Sold Elvis and bought the Beatles. At first I thought this would prove to be an insightful analogy: talented individuals coming together to an effect greater than the sum of the parts. We've had a couple of catchy singles, a bouncy little EP entitled Europa League but the important big album is beset by teething problems. And now we have sacked the producer. A new producer would love the talent at his disposal. He should let the band go creatively beyond the straitjacketed ideas of the old producer. Otherwise, sold Elvis and bought the Rutles might be more appropriate.

Stars and flops Chiriches looks the best of the recent buys. We broke our transfer record three times last summer to buy Paulinho, Sandro and Lamela. What are they worth now they have been coached by André Villas-Boas for five months?

The ex-gaffer: P45 out of 10 Spurs was the first job in which AVB lasted more than a year. I wonder how many millions of pounds he has now banked after his "failures"? But he averaged more points per game than any previous Spurs manager since the Premier League started so he must have done something right. He loved possession, nothing wrong with that. Except ours was sideways/backwards possession, we out-possessed Man City yet lost 6-0. We've lost three times at home while at the same time not managing a single goal .

Who should he sign? A left-back would be nice, and we don't need to buy one even: he's on loan at QPR. Hi, Benny.

What one rule-change would you love to see? Only one attacker per team allowed in the opposition penalty area at any time. This would not affect us in the slightest because that's all we have anyway. But it wouldn't half ruin it for everyone else ...

For ease of use, here are his quotes from then...

(2013-14 season)
Tottenham Hotspur - Dave Mason - Observer reader
5/10 Sold Elvis and bought the Beatles. At first I thought this would prove to be an insightful analogy: talented individuals coming together to an effect greater than the sum of the parts. We've had a couple of catchy singles, a bouncy little EP entitled Europa League but the important big album is beset by teething problems. And now we have sacked the producer. A new producer would love the talent at his disposal. He should let the band go creatively beyond the straitjacketed ideas of the old producer. Otherwise, sold Elvis and bought the Rutles might be more appropriate.

Stars and flops Chiriches looks the best of the recent buys. We broke our transfer record three times last summer to buy Paulinho, Sandro and Lamela. What are they worth now they have been coached by André Villas-Boas for five months?

The ex-gaffer: P45 out of 10 Spurs was the first job in which AVB lasted more than a year. I wonder how many millions of pounds he has now banked after his "failures"? But he averaged more points per game than any previous Spurs manager since the Premier League started so he must have done something right. He loved possession, nothing wrong with that. Except ours was sideways/backwards possession, we out-possessed Man City yet lost 6-0. We've lost three times at home while at the same time not managing a single goal .

Who should he sign? A left-back would be nice, and we don't need to buy one even: he's on loan at QPR. Hi, Benny.

What one rule-change would you love to see? Only one attacker per team allowed in the opposition penalty area at any time. This would not affect us in the slightest because that's all we have anyway. But it wouldn't half ruin it for everyone else ...

Almost impossible to be so wrong on so many topics in such a short article:

Vlad best signing
We signed Sandro in summer 2013
AVB having left every job because he failed........I'm sure that's why Chelsea paid Porto £15m compensation
Assou-Ekotto

Lol

Almost impossible to be so wrong on so many topics in such a short article:

Vlad best signing
We signed Sandro in summer 2013
AVB having left every job because he failed........I'm sure that's why Chelsea paid Porto £15m compensation
Assou-Ekotto

Lol
Do you think the Guardian editors waited outside Broadmoor with a net to get this kind of insight?

He even mentions AVB's points-per-game. He's probably the kind of guy who was sad we sacked Sherwood because of his win ratio.
:pochfacepalm:

Ah the voice of a typical older Spurs customer, I have seen the 70's, I know better than the manager, it's not like it was in the good old days, we should be a top 4 side (I love the irony from the last two comments usually being so often used together).

I do hate this type of Spurs customer, I find their comments fucking embarrassing.

Customer?

where does it say anything about his age?
Why is it embarrassing for you that some spurs fans have been on the planet longer than you and have seen them play over a 50 year period? Are you under the impression that football was invented 5 years ago and that anything prior to that was irrelevant?
comments like yours make me embarrassed-period, and I fucking hate ignorant people who believe that anyone over 40 is immediately senile.

220px-Dadsarmy_1.jpg

We support Spurs so up yours!! :coys:

Unbe-fucking-lievable.

Just for reference, I dug up the equivalent article from last year... you know, when we were in turmoil with that owl-faced twat in charge, having just been kicked out of the league cup by West Ham...
The fan verdict then? 5/10.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/22/premier-league-half-time-verdict-part-2

And guess what - it's not even a quirk of them getting different fan opinions. It's by the same guy, Dave Mason.
The Guardian continues to be the newspaper whose articles I often love, but my word it often feels like they're out to paint us as negatively as possible.

The guardian is a panto paper, always makes me laugh with their crazy opinions and even more insane columnists, like the Daily Mail but left wing and less celebrity stories.

Back
Top Bottom