1981 Admission Prices

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Above is the admission prices in 1981, the astounding thing is the hyper inflation the ordinary fan has had to put up with these past 30 odd years!
If tickets kept up with inflation a season ticket at the lane should cost £207.63
A pint was 53p back in 1981, if it kept pace with inflation it should be £1.77

The biggest shame is that people have been priced out of our game. Back in those days i used to go to 80 or 90 games a season, sometimes 3 a week as it was affordable.
P.S I think the Woolwich price is a misprint, there prices would have been roughly the same as ours.

Those were the days, eh. Not only that you didn't have to piss around with credit cards, booking queues, membership cards. You just went to the ground, (had a drink if the fancy took you), queued up, went in, sorted.

PS I can remember getting in for 1/6 (7.5p) as a kid in the 60s. For that I could watch Greaves Mackay Jones, etc. Unbelievable.

Match tickets are incredibly expensive nowadays, but I find that train travel is just as bad in the modern era. For away games, if you don't pre-book weeks in advance (and try to avoid the match being re-scheduled), then it will cost a bomb to get to Manchester and back (for example).

Not the point of the thread but as a side note, I wish it was still division 1, division 2 etc. Just looks better IMO for some reason

I didn't think I paid that much for my season ticket in 81, from memory I thought it was nearer £40. Ground capacity was about 50k back then though.

Those were the days, eh. Not only that you didn't have to piss around with credit cards, booking queues, membership cards. You just went to the ground, (had a drink if the fancy took you), queued up, went in, sorted.

PS I can remember getting in for 1/6 (7.5p) as a kid in the 60s. For that I could watch Greaves Mackay Jones, etc. Unbelievable.
Those were the days mate, here's an interesting video, the first two goals are pure class,

The price back then was roughly equivilant to going to the cinema. Which I think is a fair price for ordinary working people now. Say 12-25 quid. Which is roughly what they pay in germany.

its our own fault we let these gangsters come in and rip us off. There is some good news devolping in the near future ticket price revenue importance is declining. Set against worldwide tv deals. Atomosphere though is essential. Its our opportunity to campaign to set the new framework in our favour.

coys

I didn't think I paid that much for my season ticket in 81, from memory I thought it was nearer £40. Ground capacity was about 50k back then though.
I think they averaged the seat prices, capacity was down too 41k when they were building the new west stand. I know the old enclosure was sadly missed.

Remember taking an old orange box in (do they even have them these days ?) in 1980 so me and my mate could stand right at the front of the old West stand which was lower than the pitch, standing on the box our eyes were just above pitch level as little kids LOL

I had a standing season ticket on the shelf for a few years inthe eighties it was £63 for all 19 home league games plus about 5 cup games if we were at home. My 1981 cup final ticket was £2.50 and the replay just £1.50 !!!!
Those were the days and we were winning things every year

I remember queuing up for cup tickets for a Man U match in the early 80s and people grumbling about £3 seats in the Upper West.

Great days, the old days. And Top of the Pops had songs with proper tunes that you could sing along to.

Starting to get a bit nostalgic now, they were good times,i used to walk to the ground must of been 4 or 5 miles from home. Classy midfield back then, Hoddle was even starting to learn that he couldn't get away with being a lazy sod and that he had to track back and put in some tackles.

Lol at Luton being the most expensive terraced ticket in the country!
Might explain why I don't support them even though technically growing up they are my local club. That and the '85 riots as well probably.

My first game at the lane was 1991. I think it was £4 for juniors (cash at turnstile) and my Dad paid £8. That was to get on the East Lower terrace. Gascoigne, Lineker, Nayim, Allen, Walsh, Steward, Mabbutt. I would love to go back to that day. Peanuts Roasted 50p a Bag. KEN DODDS DADS DOGS DEAD. Hummell. Marvellous.

Weird to think Wrexham were in the same league as Chelsea, Newcastle & West Ham, yet are now losing to teams like Nuneaton and were nearly relegated from the conference this season

Above is the admission prices in 1981, the astounding thing is the hyper inflation the ordinary fan has had to put up with these past 30 odd years!
If tickets kept up with inflation a season ticket at the lane should cost £207.63
A pint was 53p back in 1981, if it kept pace with inflation it should be £1.77

The biggest shame is that people have been priced out of our game. Back in those days i used to go to 80 or 90 games a season, sometimes 3 a week as it was affordable.
P.S I think the Woolwich price is a misprint, there prices would have been roughly the same as ours.

Fuck the prices, how good does it look seeing Chelsea and Spam in the Lower League ?

Back
Top Bottom