Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I find it interesting his accent pronounces "soy" as shoy.

Non language fans look away, nothing for you here... :)

Its not so much the "soy", but the "Yo" (the "I" of "I am"), which he pronounces "Sho" (it seems to confuse Danny for a moment). This is typical Argentinean, the letters "y" and "ll" which in Spain and elsewhere in the Americas are pronounced like the "y" in English are pronounced "sh" or "zh" (the sound in the middle of words like measure and leisure). Pochettino does as well, although his accent is a bit "softer", maybe as a result of living in Spain for so long

Non language fans look away, nothing for you here... :)

Its not so much the "soy", but the "Yo" (the "I" of "I am"), which he pronounces "Sho" (it seems to confuse Danny for a moment). This is typical Argentinean, the letters "y" and "ll" which in Spain and elsewhere in the Americas are pronounced like the "y" in English are pronounced "sh" or "zh" (the sound in the middle of words like measure and leisure). Pochettino does as well, although his accent is a bit "softer", maybe as a result of living in Spain for so long
I'm exposed to primarily Mexican Spanish along with Central American Spanish. I don't come across to many Argentinians so his dialect took me off guard.

Argentinian Spanish always interested me, apparently it's the worst type of Spanish to learn from. Doesn't it have strong Italian influences too?

Argentinian Spanish always interested me, apparently it's the worst type of Spanish to learn from. Doesn't it have strong Italian influences too?
As an Argie I can confirm this. A lot of our slang derives from Italian words, and sometimes when we speak it tends to sound a bit like Tony Soprano. I can only imagine it must be really hard for anyone who has a small knowledge of Spanish to understand an Argie, much like It would be hard for a non-english speaker to understand an Aussie.

I can only imagine it must be really hard for anyone who has a small knowledge of Spanish to understand an Argie, much like It would be hard for a non-english speaker to understand an Aussie.

Whaddaya bloody mean by that, mate? Anyone that can't understand an Aussie must have a few roos loose in the top paddock.

Whaddaya bloody mean by that, mate? Anyone that can't understand an Aussie must have a few roos loose in the top paddock.

I've heard a few aussies that I really struggle with, not sure where they were from in aus though. Like some southern states accents , they may as well be talking Martian

Lamela initiates the press and is almost a defensive leader in midfield, but he is also very good at coming short and linking the deep midfield with the players further forward. We are not just missing his pressing but also his passing.

It wasn't a question.

Harrison-Ford-Angrily-Points-At-Stuff-GIF-01.gif

Back
Top Bottom