Érik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The comments in the last few days fuck me... he didn't even play that badly against Newcastle and is still getting called for his head. Lamela is talented and young. He is not the best decision maker but he is technically gifted. He COULD become a very very useful player when the squad is settled and he has a defined role pinned down.

The fact that currently he has the most assists on our team and next to Eriksen is our most creative player makes me think people who want rid are just upset that the price tag hasn't been earned. People can't genuinely think he is shit, because he simply is not.

Yeah, I don't see the point of cutting our losses. We're better off keeping him, hoping he can fulfill his potential and have him hope to be an integral part of our team. There is a reason he's in and around Argentinas squad and why we forked out £30,000,000 for him. Raw ability.

He can play on the left, centre or on the right, so a good useful player to have. Is capable of something special, as we saw with the rabona and can pick out a great pass when he wants, assist for Kane against Liverpool for example.

I think we've all been disappointed with Lamela based on his price tag and the performances, but the majority of us agree that there is something there.

Yeah, I don't see the point of cutting our losses. We're better off keeping him, hoping he can fulfill his potential and have him hope to be an integral part of our team. There is a reason he's in and around Argentinas squad and why we forked out £30,000,000 for him. Raw ability.

He can play on the left, centre or on the right, so a good useful player to have. Is capable of something special, as we saw with the rabona and can pick out a great pass when he wants, assist for Kane against Liverpool for example.

I think we've all been disappointed with Lamela based on his price tag and the performances, but the majority of us agree that there is something there.
Intangibles?

Not to be a broken record, but signing players for the wings might just help Lamela in the long run.
You could say Townsend is that competition - but the truth is that he's been equally inconsistent at club level this year.

Look at what competition for the left back slot did for Danny Rose. Having a guy who can slot in your spot at a moment's notice is doubly beneficial:
  • It motivates a player to improve and keep/earn their spot.
  • It takes pressure of a player if they're not the only guy for the job.
There's a general consensus that Lamela has only had one 'proper' season with us since joining Spurs, and I'd be one to agree with that.

As frustrating as the Newcastle match (first half) was watching him play; everything that went wrong for him seemed to be about the tempo of play, and knowing how/when to release the ball.
It reminded me of throwing an U21s player into the first eleven before they're ready.

So yeah, it's a tricky one due to the price tag (hence expectations), and if the faults in his game were purely down to lack of ability then I'd be the first one to want him sold... But as long as there's scope for some genuine improvement, it's worth sticking with him.

Got a fluky goal. Got involved, tried to kickstart our mostly anemic attacking play. Didn't play like a world beater, wasn't bad. A good game overall - let's hope he plays even better next time out.

Really liked seeing Nabil run up to Lamela and celebrate the goal. He looked happier than Erik himself!

I view Lamela as a player who is industrious and ALWAYS tries to create something. However, he needs confidence to make an impact. If he'd have the natural confidence of Kane when taking on a man and/or finishing/setting up a chance we'd love the lad. As he plays risky football he needs to have zero self doubt to be effective as that is often the diffence between creating and squandering a chance in today's football. That's just a wild guess though.

Tldr: Lamela is a confidence dependent-player. His playing style is highly instinctive and needs to be happening "naturally".

Last edited:
He's been getting himself in good goal scoring positions lately but has been unlucky not to get service. Today he made the most of his opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom