Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stambouli is a real mystery. I rate him highly actually.
The hard thing is that Mason and Bentaleb seem to have such an understanding and have been playing well enough together that it's hard to justify inserting Stambouli, but he could at least come on as a sub earlier OR could have been effective in a game like QPR where we could have used a little more physicality in the middle of the pitch.

Im also a Fazio fan, but Dier has been decent. Not sure, as you say, what started it though...
He has, so it's not a criticism so much of Dier, but rather that it appeared that Fazio and Vertonghen were doing so well, that it's a mystery as to why he seems to be frozen out now. Maybe because Poch sees Dier as the future and wants to give them time to form an understanding?

I'll bite.

Although I will say that he has his hands tied at times, I find the timeliness and selection of some substitutions questionable, especially when it comes to Stambouli. We have given up a lot of late goals and he has the ability to come into a game, break up an attack and has the pace and energy we need to quickly get active into a game. Coming on in the 85th minute doesn't give him anywhere enough time to make an impact.

I'm still not sure, at the moment, why Fazio seems to have lost his place to Dier and think that it has been partially to blame for our recent inability to keep a clean sheet and has allowed teams the ability to be more effective with aerial balls into the box.

Although I think he was just experimenting and, dare I suggest, rotating a little, Eriksen is not a strong player for us on the left unless his function is to pull back into the middle, and Dembele is not a CAM.
I would imagine that he has opted for Diers mobility against Fazios aerial abilities.
Diers hardly a dwarf though, and seems to be reasonable in the air.

Yes, he got flaws, but...

We humiliated Chelsea and won the NLD within (roughly) a month.

Eriksen went on a goal scoring spree
- Then Kane did.

Several academy players in our lineup (successfully)

Work rate and injuries have never been higher and lesser

Players seem to like him, and eachother, and has bought into his tactics.

He just seems like a really good guy.
- Other managers respect him, and he's a good representative for the club.

Seriously, the Lane is so much better now.

Most importantly: We need some fucking stability in a managerial sense for once, and this guy is as good as any.

/thread until Poch is fired fall 2015. :pochbye:

I would imagine that he has opted for Diers mobility against Fazios aerial abilities.
Diers hardly a dwarf though, and seems to be reasonable in the air.
When we played against the chavs, I actually thought it was maybe a good idea to offer some speed to counter their attacking threats, so I get that point. I'd just like to see him get a starting spot again soon. We've seen Dier for a few games now and it would be interesting to see the contrast if he's given a game or two to see what works out best.

Not sure I agree, Mason has played well in the centre with Bentaleb whereas we were frustrated with Dembele when he played in that position.
TBH, he frustrated the hell out of me at AM, but we got a few wins. Fact is he slows play wherever you stick him as his first thought is to try and run and not see the pass... so how do you counter it and where do you play him? It's a shame to berate a bloke for wanting to dribble when so few players can actually do it, but it's blind alleys and added pressure most of the time.

Mason is a bit gung-ho in front of the back four and has a bit of red mist about him but keeps us ticking beautifully at times.

Look, it's never going to be a popular shout but if you have those particular three on a pitch, personally I don't get why Mason would be playing behind Dembele when Mason built his reputation on being able to destroy a team with a pass.

Interesting. You say most of his problems are beyond his control. Fair do´s and agree somewhat.

But you seem unwilling to talk about the ones that he himself can control, and what, in your opinion, they are.
I have been trying to.
Not sure how many times I have to keep repeating myself - but I don't see that he has all that many issues to deal with, that he hasn't done an effective job of addressing with the tools at his disposal.
The rotation issue he's hobbled on through lack of choice, the substitution issue I won't touch, because everyone thinks they know better than the manager - and I have never known any of our managers being praised for their choices, unless that player comes on and scores.
I'm just not prepared to moan about the guy for not being able to turn players into world team candidates, particularly given what he has achieved so far, and the somewhat obvious lack of real quality in the squad.

He orchestrated wins against arguably more talented teams, and yet we have struggled against the likes of Burnley, Leicester, Stoke , WBA etc

Why did we lose to Liverpool at anfield? Shit pitch? Opposition too similar to our style of play? That would be a question I'd like an answer to, because I believe that we have the team to beat them.

My point, and that of others is you really have to dig deep at finding fault, but your presentation of your points would indicate that the issue is far more radical - and that's what is getting everyone's goat

That and your "Rabid attack dog" style of defending yourself. Its not exactly brimming with humility.

My point, and that of others is you really have to dig deep at finding fault, but your presentation of your points would indicate that the issue is far more radical - and that's what is getting everyone's goat

Well the less sensitive among us are debating just fine with me.

If you paid attention to my views, instead of my attitude you would see quite quickly that Im a huge fan of Pochettino

Don't think Dembele is by any means better defensively than Mason. The latter makes far more tackles and interceptions per game, and is much more comfortable passing out of pressure.

Well the less sensitive among us are debating just fine with me.

If you paid attention to my views, instead of my attitude you would see quite quickly that Im a huge fan of Pochettino
then why bitch and moan about everything, and not simply accept the fact that there are some things that he can't change?

Sensitive? seriously? Sammy - you told me to go fuck myself, called me a snake and to stop being a whiney bitch. Tell me which part of that I'm supposed to laugh off or not be irritated by?
I'm pretty sure that I have kept a fairly even temper about your excesses, and have tried to be as reasonable as could be expected under the circumstances.

Oh and you'll have to forgive me if I find your last comment a bit hard to swallow - its a long way from apparent in your often repeated condemnation of the way he has managed the club over the last few weeks. To round that off - when told by multiple posters that you have gone too far you have acted like a sneering and sarky adolescent and started creating threads about how its a crime to be critical of Pochettino. Its kind of tough to maintain any degree of respect for someone who behaves like that.

then why bitch and moan about everything, and not simply accept the fact that there are some things that he can't change?

The point is that Im not bitching about everything.

Im bitching about the things I have a problem with. I dont need to say...
"Pochs subs are bad......BUT I LIKE HIM!!!"
"Poch doesnt have an effective plane b......BUT HIS FITNESS REGIME IS EXCELLENT!!!!"

Get over it. Im talking about his faults. When I talk about his good sides, should I also add something negative to balance it out? Dont be so precious.

Im not obsessed. I have an interest in our club.

oh sorry, I missed the part where you discussed his flaws.
The notion seems to make you very angry.
I have an interest in our club, therefore I must slate our manager and those who won't do the same.

And you won't discuss equal rights for women or gays, cause I haven't seen you do it. You see?:adethumbup:

Probably got rid of Lennon and kept Townsend because Lennon has had years to improve at Spurs and didn't.
He obviously has some other issues.
AT, although fucking annoying, has room for improvement. I believe that if AT doesn't realise his potential he will be gone by the 16/17 season.
Stambouli is a real mystery. I rate him highly actually.

Im also a Fazio fan, but Dier has been decent. Not sure, as you say, what started it though...
Maybe as they are both just in the club and at their first season in the EPL he is bedding them in gradually. Both can speak English a bit but it still must be a bit of a barrier. They are both just settling themselves & their families into a new country, environment and culture and just found houses etc., there are lots of different factors.
A lot of the foreign players that come over take time to adapt. Some may start off great, then they are gotten used to and slack off. Some start slow, struggle to adapt to the speed, physicality and different styles of EPL football but do master it and come good.
Fazio has been guilty of playing the Spanish way out of defence, only to find he gets closed down more quickly and making bad passes. He will learn.
It takes time, Foreign Central defenders tend to take time to adapt. Meertsacker struggled first season Magnala looked like far worse than Fazio as two examples.

Actually I was thinking last night of all the teams that have been champions and how many had two foreign central defenders. Woolwich did not. I may be wrong but since they have had an all foreign CB paring they haven't won a title. Man U have had an English Central defensive pairing or one of each and Chelsea have got two Cahill and Terry.

Stambouli is till struggling to adapt to the pace and is not fit enough. He's good enough. That's probably the reason. I think they both have been used correctly.
Enough to say that we want them to play more instead of them getting lots of game time, continuing to make the inevitable mistakes - be it down to fitness/adaptation - and then being crucified as shit signings, which is the usual.

Why did we lose to Liverpool at anfield? Shit pitch? Opposition too similar to our style of play? That would be a question I'd like an answer to, because I believe that we have the team to beat them.
We were using the same 11 guys who played in a frantic derby a few days earlier while they played in possibly the slowest most boring derby world football has ever seen!

Back
Top Bottom