Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

3 or 4 are better than 2, using the same logic, so why not 4-3-3, or 4-2-4?

It's not the formation, it's what they do on the pitch.
3or4 would be daft (although once I saw us play 5 ish against the scum and beat them 5 - something? 80's).
I agree that "it's not the formation". That's why I'm questioning modem ways . Play 442 two forwad. Bollocks to playing the number 10 role whatever that is? Modem day rubbish.

It's hard to support HK is ready to lead the line or play regular. However he has shown massive improvement this season and confidence so does deserve some chance.
Just don't want it all to go tits up. A few bad games everybody will be on his back. Forwards must play with confidence or it's over.

Sheringham role or bust for me. Hes not awfully strong, id ok in the air and certainly isnt quick. Great at everything else though. Think he needs someone else with him like, uhh, last night.

3or4 would be daft (although once I saw us play 5 ish against the scum and beat them 5 - something? 80's).
I agree that "it's not the formation". That's why I'm questioning modem ways . Play 442 two forwad. Bollocks to playing the number 10 role whatever that is? Modem day rubbish.
But we are better that way, with Eriksen as a 10. I think Kane actually is good enough to play as the lone striker, and Pochettino so far hadn't done it because he was looking for a way to keep the playing minutes down for Eriksen and Lamela.

And with a proper RB, letting Lamela go into the box more, we could play with three strikers, since Chadli's already being used as one.

I think that with Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela playing we will get the goals needed to win even if we play Vlad upfront. So for me, its a question of who do we actually see as our long-term front man. I still think Ade is the best of the three, but Harry still keeps scoring goals, Soldado played alright against city. If I was manager the pecking order would be 1. Ade, 2.Kane, 3. Soldado. But really I want to see Benteke upfront on new years day
Why Ade? It looked on Thursday night that even his team mates had given up on him.

I think that with Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela playing we will get the goals needed to win even if we play Vlad upfront. So for me, its a question of who do we actually see as our long-term front man. I still think Ade is the best of the three, but Harry still keeps scoring goals, Soldado played alright against city. If I was manager the pecking order would be 1. Ade, 2.Kane, 3. Soldado. But really I want to see Benteke upfront on new years day
Ade has done what he always does. Some manager doesn't like his attitude and doesn't play him. New manager gives him a chance and he goes on a tear. When he cements his starting spot he goes back to his lackadaisical ways. He hasn't been that good all season and has been pretty poor recently. Kane has obviously been the best out of the three so i don't know how you can put him behind Ade. Soldado is a different matter, I think he should be played ahead of Ade but I understand those who disagree.

You want Benteke though? I don't think he's looked the same since his injury last season. He'd still cost a ridiculous amount of money and I think I'd take Berahino over him at that point.

Ade has scored 24 goals and 17 goals in two different EPL seasons, no other Spurs player except Sheringham, Klinsmann and Bale come close.
Benteke has played two games this season. But his scoring record is phenomenal, something like 1 in 2, and he is a beast. We aren't going to be able to sign a guaranteed 20 goal a season man, because chelski or city will take him. We have to take a bit of a gamble, I'd gamble of Benteke. But I'd like to see both Benteke and Berahino.
17 and 10 in the prem

Ade has scored 24 goals and 17 goals in two different EPL seasons, no other Spurs player except Sheringham, Klinsmann and Bale come close.
Benteke has played two games this season. But his scoring record is phenomenal, something like 1 in 2, and he is a beast. We aren't going to be able to sign a guaranteed 20 goal a season man, because chelski or city will take him. We have to take a bit of a gamble, I'd gamble of Benteke. But I'd like to see both Benteke and Berahino.
The goal stats are great and all but he's rarely had two good back to back seasons. In fact, he's only scored double digits in back to back seasons in the prem twice, and that was for the scum and then when he went to City. He even had a huge drop off for the scum though,went from 24 to 10. He's shown time and time again that he can't put together good seasons back to back. He got 11 last season. I expect this one to be another down one just like the rest of his career has shown.

Yes, and I get tired of saying this, but Soldado's stats are 2 goals in 31 games.
I'm not talking about Soldado. I said Kane should be first didn't I? Soldado is an entirely different situation than Kane so I don't like to argue about him with people because everyone has their own opinions that probably won't change. There's the group that look at last season as an anomaly and believe that his stats will regress to the mean, with stats that make him a fantastic striker. Then there's the group that believe that he just isn't suited for England and won't succeed for us. I completely understand that and I think both are valid arguments. I'm just in the first group because I've watched him play for Valencia for 3 seasons and the City game looked much more like the old Soldado to me. We won't find out which one is true until he gets a chance though, which is why I want to see him given a chance. But I digress.

Based on stats, Kane should be at the top of the list. Looking at only Kane and Ade, I find it impossible to put Ade ahead of Kane. Kane is young, spurs through and through, has bags of potential, banging them in every chances he gets from all over the pitch, and can only get better. Ade is declining, looking lazy again, and not really performing. Its a no brainer to me.

I think he could, I dont know though. It is hard to get inside the mind of the guy, he clearly has the talent, hence he 'could'. But what could 'arry and Sherwood get out of him that AVB and so far Poch cant. I dont know. My point is that he has the potential, I am not convinced that Soldado even has the potential to score 20 goals in our team
So in the absence of future thinking, why not play the guys who are certainly trying, and doing it for us at the moment - Ade doesn't fit that profile at the moment. Leave it up to Poch, I hate arguing about players anyway, I just think it's weird that certain posters (not you) can't put the club/team above their favourites. I won't say anymore because he's not in a position to answer back.

I agree partially, except that Kane has been scoring against some woeful sides, excluding Besiktas, my worry is that if we put him in and he doesnt do it, straight away, we could destroy the guy. I would bring him in slowly. My question is who do we play while we gradually see if Kane can do it. My answer is Ade, but I understand why people find the guy frustrating. If you look to my early posts, I actually think Kane should play in this game.
Fair enough. I had an exam yesterday so I haven't been around much this past week and wouldn't know. If we're easing Kane in then I'm in the Soldado camp though. If he had buried that penalty against city to make it 2-2 then people would be talking about him completely differently. He made some great passes, the one to Mason and Eriksen in particular, and won us a penalty. Hart made a great save that soured everything but things were looking up. Sherwood benched Soldado after he scored against Villa (I think?) last year and he never got a run to gain his form. Give him a struggling Newcastle team where we'll surely create a few chances for him and if he buries them we may not need a striker in January. That's just my reasoning though. I know you want Ade so we'll have to agree to disagree here.

I agree, give Kane a run out. But I think for the sake of the lad we shouldn't be relying on him for the whole season. That's why I am saying Soldado or Ade. Although as I say, in an ideal world I'd like to bring in two new strikers who consistently score in the EPL. Although Ade is the 25th all time leading scorer of EPL goals, but this is just repeating old territory
Play two strikers at home to Newcastle - my choice would be Kane and Soldado - Newcastle aren't very good, and why get bogged down in the 4-2-3-1? If we're losing 3-0 at half time, bring Ade on and put Harry in goal. (this is why I'm not a manager). :llorisserious:

I can definitely see the reasoning. I was thinking this way myself until Lamela's goals on Thursday. But I dont think you can drop Eriksen, Lamela or Chadli.

3-5-2. Lloris/ Dier Jan Davies / Eriksen Mason Capoue Lamela Chadli/ Kane Soldado

This again is why I'm not a manager. But it would scare the shit out of Newcastle.

Edit: revert to trusted 4-2-3-1 when 10-0 down.

I think Soldado will start too. But you never know, starting Mason was a bit of a curve ball. If you are going to give Kane a go, against an awful Newcastle side at home is surely the time to do it
It would be good if we can have all three strikers in a good place mentally and I think Soldado is a priority to persevere with after his performance last week, discounting the missed penalty of course.

But we are better that way, with Eriksen as a 10. I think Kane actually is good enough to play as the lone striker, and Pochettino so far hadn't done it because he was looking for a way to keep the playing minutes down for Eriksen and Lamela.

And with a proper RB, letting Lamela go into the box more, we could play with three strikers, since Chadli's already being used as one.

I understand a team needs to be balanced and players needing to compliment each other. I am unable to understand this "Eriksen as a 10" and " Kane as a lone striker" ? I always have accepted that a number 10 is a forward complimenting the other forward?

4-4-2 simple. The same formation who ever is available. Soldado would benefit form this also.

Sheringham role or bust for me. Hes not awfully strong, id ok in the air and certainly isnt quick. Great at everything else though. Think he needs someone else with him like, uhh, last night.

Totally agree with this. Play to his strengths regardless of shirt number/position or promoting him to being the loan ranger. He needs someone along side and getting some sort of service. On most occasions we have had success playing with two forwards and skill through the middle.

Kane is improving with the understanding with how to play off/with another forward. But he's a long way off the finished player.

Kane is improving with the understanding with how to play off/with another forward. But he's a long way off the finished player.

But if we play with one striker, as seems to be the case, how is he going to learn how to play with/off another striker? and what would be the point? He's an instinctive player, and his shooting is extremely accurate - don't look to complicate a simple game.

Back
Top Bottom