If Ched Evans was a decent player

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you welcome Ched Evans at Spurs (if he was a PL level player)?

• Yes

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 80 86.0%

• Total voters
Lloris, Bale, Ronaldo, it wouldn't matter to me. It isn't on the basis that Evans is crap. And forgetting whether you think Evans is innocent or whatever, the actual principle of having a rapist in the team, fuck that.

Everyone mentioning Messi, Ronaldo, Lloris, etc - are none of you able to read the title of the thread? You know the "if Ched Evans was a decent player" bit?

Every one of us would welcome a rapey Messi to the club, but not a shitey Championship striker who's got done for shoplifting. That's where the "if he were a decent player" bit comes in.
Difference being Lloris has been at the club for a while and is a firm fan favourite already.

Point in all of this from a footie perspective he's a lge 1 player. Million miles from playing at the Lane. Might get a game at West Ham though.

He has done his time etc but how I see it is if that was me or you I very much doubt we would get our previous job backs. Let alone get a new one.

Your chances of a decent job would be fucked with a Criminal record for rape.

So committing a crime means that your only way of making your way is more crime?

Should this guy not be the example that proves people can be rehabilitated?

So committing a crime means that your only way of making your way is more crime?

Should this guy not be the example that proves people can be rehabilitated?
People can be, but Evans quite clear isn't - he still refuses to apologise to the victim for everything he's caused her to go through, or even to admit he did anything wrong. If he was in the same situation again his only reason for not doing the same once more would be the threat of prison, not because he realised there's a problem with it. Having a rapist on our team would be bad enough, but a completely unrepentant one would be worse. And you can still work towards re-habilitation without going back into a job where you're a role model for thousands of young people as well as being a figure of huge public support at Sheffield United.

I actually think we should have the same rule as the Olympics have which came to light after the Pistorius sentencing - you can't return to the sport until your sentence has been served, even if you're released on license as Evans currently is. It'd encourage people to be re-habiliatated back into the real world rather than already problematic "careers" in football, and it'd mean serious offenders like him would be out of the game too long to ever return which in my books is definitely a good thing.

Problem is, you're assuming he's guilty.

Imagine if he wasn't? Imagine if everything he said was true - that she did consent and wasn't out-of-control drunk?

Imagine if it were you accused, convicted and enprisoned for something similar? Imagine if everyone in the world thought you were guilty? Imagine people thinking you're scum for not apologising for something awful that you haven't done? Imagine if you couldn't get a job because of it? Imagine people rejoicing that you couldn't get a job?

I've no idea whether he's guilty or not, but at least consider the possibilities.

Problem is, you're assuming he's guilty.

Imagine if he wasn't? Imagine if everything he said was true - that she did consent and wasn't out-of-control drunk?

Imagine if it were you accused, convicted and enprisoned for something similar? Imagine if everyone in the world thought you were guilty? Imagine people thinking you're scum for not apologising for something awful that you haven't done? Imagine if you couldn't get a job because of it? Imagine people rejoicing that you couldn't get a job?

I've no idea whether he's guilty or not, but at least consider the possibilities.
We have to trust the legal system. Looking at all the evidence in excruciating detail and knowing the consequences of the case, the jury decided beyond all doubt that he was guilty. Pretty much any lawyer you speak to will tell you the basic facts - admitted by Evans - amount to rape. His argument isn't about the law, it's about PR to try and make him employable again. He probably doesn't think it is rape and thinks it's all very unfair, but the law pretty clearly says what he did is. He needs to accept that - the law applies to footballers too and rightly so whether he likes it or not.

Why should he apologize if he is innocent?

Because even if he genuinely believes he is innocent of rape, he can admit that what he did was wrong (considering the woman was in no fit state to decide she wanted to fuck him) and the consequences of his actions were that the victim has now had to leave behind her entire life, move towns and change identity - twice - as well as deal with the incident itself. You'd have to be complete scum to feel no remorse for that whether you're legally guilty or not.

As a Welsh fan I don't want to see him play for Wales either. In the eyes of the law he is guilty its only him who can't see what he did was rape. Football players are roll models and should act accordingly. He shouldn't play in either the Premier League or International Football again.

I know very little about this case. What I do think I know is that the only question (really) was, was the woman too drunk to consent or not. How did they come to the conclusion that she definitely was?

Evans clearly thinks she was not too drunk to consent, so there must have been something that confirmed she was, "beyond reasonable doubt"?

I know very little about this case. What I do think I know is that the only question (really) was, was the woman too drunk to consent or not. How did they come to the conclusion that she definitely was?

Evans clearly thinks she was not too drunk to consent, so there must have been something that confirmed she was, "beyond reasonable doubt"?

It was CCTV footage of her being unable to walk without support, and a witness (the attendant at the hotel desk) describing her as "extremely drunk", incapable and not speaking coherently.

The CCTV footage I saw (her going into the hotel) she seemed to be walking pretty freely and unassisted to me? She looked drunk but just "ordinary" drunk, not completely smashed beyond rational thought? There must have been more than that to send a person down?

Must add I'm not passing comment on guilt or morality here just trying to understand the facts and how they got past the old "beyond reasonable doubt" thingy

I'd also be interested to know how many male posters on here have woken up with a girl with little or no recollection of exactly how you ended up in bed together?

The way the law is shaping up here... you've been raped... and the girl should be locked up? Is it as clean cut as that?

I've done a bit of reading on this case and it doesn't stack up to me.

One of the major ones being how she was sober enough to consent to having sex with his mate but too drunk to have sex with Evans? Was she on a Gin IV in the room?

Fact there were screenshots of her bragging about the payout don't do her any favours either

Fuck no, I wouldn't want Suarez at the club because he's biting cheating racist and what he's done isn't even in the same stratosphere as Evans. It's not even comparable.

I generally believe that once you've served your time you should be accepted back into society. For example, after Michael Vick in american football went to jail for dogfighting, which I find abhorrent, I was okay with him being accepted back into the league because he had been substantially punished. But with rape and murder, it is just a different level that I can never accept or forgive. Heinous crimes.

A woman cannot rape someone. Rape relates specifically to penetration with a penis.

It would still be sexual abuse/assault, it should still carry just as harsh a punishment as the equivalent with genders reversed.

It is a disgrace though that the legal definition of rape is so discriminatory; "forced envelopment" should be alongside the "penis penetration" definition without any shadow of a doubt.

Back
Top Bottom